Any cool/interesting side hustles out there? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any cool/interesting side hustles out there?

hipster_pictures_7.jpg

I have a few.

CNC machining on the side, rebuilding shocks for subways, I did powder coating for a long time, Im still always looking for things to make a quick tax free buck. I do work a lot, but I also like my toys, and cant have the toys without the extra curricular activities. If I was smart I would work less and be into investments or what not, but Im a peasant and it takes money to make money. Shoulda went to university instead of college. lol

I can think of pet sitter, tutor, life coach, bar tender, male stripper. Gotta be in amazing shape for male stripper though. Serious cash I think.

Btw, anyone else feel free to recommend side hustle cash money. You could also flip cars/bikes.

Own a headlight retrofitting company, www.gtaretrofits.com, but it's getting to the point where I can't keep up to demand without taking a day off my full time job, but making the jump to self employed with a mortgage is risky.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

^^
Some awesome work you got going on there man!

Own a headlight retrofitting company, www.gtaretrofits.com, but it's getting to the point where I can't keep up to demand without taking a day off my full time job, but making the jump to self employed with a mortgage is risky.

It's interesting to see someone trying to do HID retrofits properly. How is this affected by the new safety rules?

If demand is too high, raise your prices and see what happens. You may be able to make the same (or more) money for less work.

It's interesting to see someone trying to do HID retrofits properly. How is this affected by the new safety rules?

If demand is too high, raise your prices and see what happens. You may be able to make the same (or more) money for less work.
I haven't had any complaints from past customers, however not too many have gotten safeties. I always encourage leaving the orange strip as it's legally needed, and always leave the drl/high beam area chrome unless they get a bi-xenon projector retrofit, and even then, I explain they basically lose their flash to pass feature.

Most get left alone if it looks oem enough and oem features are left intact.

I played hockey growing up and just got back into the minor hockey thing coaching rep now (can't believe it's already been 10 years since playing midget). Referees gotta chill the F out nowadays. I mean I remember there were some crappy refs back when I played but nowadays most refs get so damn butthurt whenever anybody says anything at them. Then of course they start tossing bench staff and penalizing the team if it's a parent. And I've noticed this is a thing with younger refs, the older ones generally just tune out anything that's not happening on the ice. Is it something they're teaching at ref clinics now or what?

Well, I disagree with you completely. People need to realize that you can't start acting like animals simply because you're in a hockey rink. The abuse people hurl at officials is incredible. I can guarantee you, if people acted at their jobs like they do in a hockey rink, the vast majority would be unemployed.

If you think referees are out of control, I suggest you try skating a season and see if you think the same way at the end of it.

@mimico_polak you know my side hustle....I win contests ?
I actually wouldn't be able to afford many of the things I get to do with my family if I didn't win them.
I also have a yard sign business that hasn't really seen much activity the last few years.
Started it because I wanted a sign for my son's 1st birthday, but they were pricey so I made my own. 13 years later I have ~30 signs in the garage. Now just mostly for family and friends. I have some listed over on www.jojosyardsigns.webs.com if anyone is interested. (No bike ones though?)
The more popular (read: trademarked) characters are not on the site. But these was the most recent, done for my boys:
b61457a4b76763bfdd9d2fcbf740c14a.jpg

15d66ec83a0dc7b983a7b0f5524e4cbe.jpg

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Well, I disagree with you completely. People need to realize that you can't start acting like animals simply because you're in a hockey rink. The abuse people hurl at officials is incredible. I can guarantee you, if people acted at their jobs like they do in a hockey rink, the vast majority would be unemployed.

If you think referees are out of control, I suggest you try skating a season and see if you think the same way at the end of it.

I've seen coaches (including on my own bench) get tossed for angrily disagreeing with calls - NOT abusive language AT referees. We're not talking about coaches calling refs colorful things, I'm talking about heated, opinionated, debates. I hate to make any connections between minor hockey and pro hockey, but pretty much every head coach in the NHL would be serving non stop suspensions if refs gave out bench penalties like they do in the G. Tortarella would probably be banned from the league. Refs nowadays expect coaches to hold their hand and be jolly happy people standing on the bench even when they feel like the ref blatantly miscalled something. Give me a break.

With that said, I've also seen parents and coaches swear directly at refs and call them some interesting things. That's not what I'm talking about. That's clearly abuse of official and sure you can call penalties for that.

I think the issue is organizations and referees have taken it a little too far in trying to curb abusing officials. Yeah refs don't deserve to be belittled, but that also doesn't mean refs should play the "I'm the ref, we're only talking on my terms and if I don't like you, you can leave" card every single time something comes up.

Adding this thought - I don't have a problem with refs who won't approach the bench if the coach is losing his mind yelling. The ref is willing to chat as long as the coach is calm. This is reasonable. But when the ref skips this and starts accessing bench penalties to try to forcefully control coaches? Not reasonable.

Last edited:
I've seen coaches (including on my own bench) get tossed for angrily disagreeing with calls - NOT abusive language AT referees. We're not talking about coaches calling refs colorful things, I'm talking about heated, opinionated, debates. I hate to make any connections between minor hockey and pro hockey, but pretty much every head coach in the NHL would be serving non stop suspensions if refs gave out bench penalties like they do in the G. Tortarella would probably be banned from the league. Refs nowadays expect coaches to hold their hand and be jolly happy people standing on the bench even when they feel like the ref blatantly miscalled something. Give me a break.

With that said, I've also seen parents and coaches swear directly at refs and call them some interesting things. That's not what I'm talking about. That's clearly abuse of official and sure you can call penalties for that.

I think the issue is organizations and referees have taken it a little too far in trying to curb abusing officials. Yeah refs don't deserve to be belittled, but that also doesn't mean refs should play the "I'm the ref, we're only talking on my terms and if I don't like you, you can leave" card every single time something comes up.

Adding this thought - I don't have a problem with refs who won't approach the bench if the coach is losing his mind yelling. The ref is willing to chat as long as the coach is calm. This is reasonable. But when the ref skips this and starts accessing bench penalties to try to forcefully control coaches? Not reasonable.

I can see your points... but, as you pointed out, this is MINOR hockey, not the NHL. Referees and coaches make mistakes - we're amateurs. Even the NHL refs and coaches get things wrong (hence video replay).

The vast majority of the time, the referees are correct - I can't tell you how many times I've had coaches freaking out on the bench over a rule which they have no idea about. If they keep going, I'll eventually give them a deuce, and then eventually toss them out. I've often wondered why coaches feel the need to yell, or even get heated at referees (again, if you behaved like at at your work place, would you still be employed? Nope) - me, I'll tune them out and ignore them and any requests for conversation they have until they calm down. IF it's an important game, in a tournament, or even in the playoffs, I'll keep on handing out bench minors until he gets the point. I've had parents yelling at the coaches to shut up 'cause they realized what was going on before the coaching staff did. You're going to continually be a jerk? Well, I'll hurt the team due to the coach's behaviour.

I have never once tossed a coach who is acting reasonably and politely - I'll give them all the time in the world for explanations etc. Get all snakey, and I'm not going over there 'cause it would be like handing them a rope to go hang themselves with.

I've made mistakes and realized it, and in those cases, I man up and apologize to the bench. Take full responsibility. But, once my arm goes up for a penalty etc, I can't drop it again.

Most people have no idea how many decisions referees make in the course of a game - at least 1 per second. Offside? Ice? Penalty? Collision? Minor or Major Penalty? What did they say to one another? Racial slur? Insults? Friends just having fun with each other? All while skating and being yelled at.

Really - please try refereeing for just 1 season. I think you'll change your tune pretty quickly.

Wow cool hustles guys! I do what I do for one...to pick up some weightlifting equipment and to basically keep the toys. If it's not money that's earmarked for house/responsibilities I can have some fun with it! And as I said working with my dad is pretty chill.

Keep em coming!

I can see your points... but, as you pointed out, this is MINOR hockey, not the NHL. Referees and coaches make mistakes - we're amateurs. Even the NHL refs and coaches get things wrong (hence video replay).
Really - please try refereeing for just 1 season. I think you'll change your tune pretty quickly.

Reffing can be a hard go, when the kids are little, parents all believe that little Johnny is going to the bigs and they definitely know more than the ref and coaches for that matter. When the kids get bigger they themselves becomes idiots. My son started reffing this year and shares his stories of coaches and parents losing their shat during tyke and Novice games. Quite interesting and a little sad though.

My best ref interaction was coaching a game a few years back, Ref was letting a lot go, you could see things heading to the dark side. Skating out of the zone, I shared my opinion (politely) that he would need to lift his arm at some point, so he assessed me a bench minor :rolleyes: funny now, ****** me off at the time J

The vast majority of the time, the referees are correct - I can't tell you how many times I've had coaches freaking out on the bench over a rule which they have no idea about. If they keep going, I'll eventually give them a deuce, and then eventually toss them out. I've often wondered why coaches feel the need to yell, or even get heated at referees (again, if you behaved like at at your work place, would you still be employed? Nope) - me, I'll tune them out and ignore them and any requests for conversation they have until they calm down. IF it's an important game, in a tournament, or even in the playoffs, I'll keep on handing out bench minors until he gets the point. I've had parents yelling at the coaches to shut up 'cause they realized what was going on before the coaching staff did. You're going to continually be a jerk? Well, I'll hurt the team due to the coach's behaviour.

I have never once tossed a coach who is acting reasonably and politely - I'll give them all the time in the world for explanations etc. Get all snakey, and I'm not going over there 'cause it would be like handing them a rope to go hang themselves with.

I've made mistakes and realized it, and in those cases, I man up and apologize to the bench. Take full responsibility. But, once my arm goes up for a penalty etc, I can't drop it again.

Most people have no idea how many decisions referees make in the course of a game - at least 1 per second. Offside? Ice? Penalty? Collision? Minor or Major Penalty? What did they say to one another? Racial slur? Insults? Friends just having fun with each other? All while skating and being yelled at.

Technically, all referees (and some coaches) aren't amateurs since they're being paid...but I won't get pedantic :D

Why wouldn't coaches be motivated to yell? They've invested lots of time and effort into their players (hopefully), and that naturally leads to feeling like they themselves have been wronged if they disagree with a call/non-call. I've never seen parents telling coaches to shut up, it wouldn't surprise me if it happened but in my experience it almost always goes the other way with coaches telling parents to chill out so they don't get bench minors (which btw I think is somewhat nonsensical that people in the stands that aren't on team rosters can cause teams to get bench minors, but I won't go down that road).

As for the difficulty of the job, this feels a lot like how the dynamics of police accountability is changing nowadays. You've got a lot of people who argue that police are human beings too and it's just as possible for them to make a mistake compared to a layman. I don't think this is a false argument, but I'm with the crowd that police officers should still be held to a higher standard and when they make mistakes, the consequences should be larger than for a civilian. After all, cops are being paid to do their jobs and enjoy privileges/rights that come with the position. If you can't cut it, you shouldn't be a cop.

Back to refereeing, I think some of this might be remedied if leagues made refs officiate a more consistent age/level group. It's kind of crazy refs can be calling a minor atom A game and throughout the course of the evening be calling a midget AAA game. Ideally refs should just be able to reset and officiate accordingly, but let's be honest it's not that simple. Even within the same age group, going from a A game to a AA game is noticeably faster and there's way more going on. So maybe they should create groupings so refs only work 1 minor/major age group +/-1 level for a month or something like that (ex. Minor + Major bantam, A & AA for a given month, or Minor + Major Midget, AA & AAA for another given month).

back on topic

you said your dad has a lot of wood working tools

why not make those motorcycle workbenches
Wingboy posted the plans, you cut the wood with slats and it all fits together like a puzzle and comes apart easily.
I think you can modify it to make it better.

You can easily make $50 a unit or charge more for ppl that want other forms of customization done.
If you register your business then you now have a lot of expenses to write off including part of your bike and insurance.
Seems to be something readily you can do. And from there maybe other items ppl will pay you to make for them.

back on topic

you said your dad has a lot of wood working tools

why not make those motorcycle workbenches
Wingboy posted the plans, you cut the wood with slats and it all fits together like a puzzle and comes apart easily.
I think you can modify it to make it better.

You can easily make $50 a unit or charge more for ppl that want other forms of customization done.
If you register your business then you now have a lot of expenses to write off including part of your bike and insurance.
Seems to be something readily you can do. And from there maybe other items ppl will pay you to make for them.

If you make anything for anybody and get paid, the first thing to do is get business insurance and product liability insurance. In this lovely new world, buddy has a 20k BMW fall off the rack you built, and it falls on his leg, it wont matter whos fault it is, it will cost to sort it. Not being a tin hat guy, but side deals can go sideways.....

Back
Top Bottom