Any cool/interesting side hustles out there? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any cool/interesting side hustles out there?

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Hey guys,
just wondering if anyone's got some cool or fun side hustle that they make some extra income with (thinking about the Ontario gov't minimum income thread) and was wondering what some of you may be up to?
Personally I've done (and do) a lot of work with my dad with some contracting work. Not enough to replace my main income, but I also don't plan on going that route. Would be fun, but dad is in his early 60s and it's a good way to spend some time together, learn from him, talk, and just learn some new skills.
I've done some property management, which was fun and a little bit annoying (due to landlord, not tenants) and have tossed out the idea of doing some real estate part time as I've always liked it, and would go a long way to save some money once the investment property is to be sold....thoughts?

I taught the motorcycle safety course for about 15 years.

Registered it as a contracting business and wrote off gear, trips, bikes, trackdays, tires etc as professional development.

Not a hustle as I had invoices for everything so it was all legit. Just a bad business and helped offset my regular income taxes. Never did make a damn cent in profit. Hehe

On top of Ville Motogear, I started winding and repairing electric guitar pickups. Used to make full electric guitars from scratch but there is no money in that anymore - cheap Asian instruments are too good.

Aftermarket pickups are a bit of a niche thing but the demand is surprisingly strong. Making something that then produces music is pretty satisfying.

Last edited:

Registered it as a contracting business and wrote off gear, trips, bikes, trackdays, tires etc as professional development.

Not a hustle as I had invoices for everything so it was all legit. Just a bad business and helped offset my regular income taxes. Never did make a damn cent in profit. Hehe

That's actually an awesome idea! Who cares if you make any money, you get gear, trackdays, tires, and all the other fun stuff for 'free'.

On top of Ville Motogear, I started winding and repairing electric guitar pickups. Used to make full electric guitars from scratch but there is no money in that anymore - cheap Asian instruments are too good.

Aftermarket pickups are a bit of a niche thing but the demand is surprisingly strong. Making something that then produces music is pretty satisfying.

Wow good for you! I admire people that can go out on their own and make a business from nothing. Congrats!

I like this!
**runs to services ontario to register for business license**

A friend makes guitar pedals and tube amps.

Another grew hops in his backyard and entered his beer in contests, eventually purchasing a brew house and going into the business.

Was that a for profit or non profit, track or street school?

All of the above?

Initial M2 and worked for a track school too. I was the contractor so just invoiced per day

I know people that opened trinket shops selling Mexican silver items, African carvings etc. They basically write off their vacations.

I'm starting to like this guy. Please ignore everything I've ever said about hipsters.

weed delivery?
speedy weedy
huff n puff
This actually could pan out to be a viable idea.
I'm in on the ground floor!

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I had a friend that went into the booze delivery business (which some of the bootleggers have been doing for a long, long time). He and his partner didn't last too long.

I used to paint miniatures (think Dungeons and Dragons but on a small army scale) - doesn't make much hourly, but I found it relaxing...

Refereeing/Umpiring sports is an easy buck too, and tax free. Doing hockey, you can make $19-25/hour quite easily at lower levels... $75 in 3 hours for a midget house league (15-17 year olds) shift..
Tournament weekends it's quite easy to hit $350, but your weekend is basically shot at that point. All you need is a relatively thick skin and the ability to laugh at people going ape-poop in the stands.

I used to paint miniatures (think Dungeons and Dragons but on a small army scale) - doesn't make much hourly, but I found it relaxing...

Refereeing/Umpiring sports is an easy buck too, and tax free. Doing hockey, you can make $19-25/hour quite easily at lower levels... $75 in 3 hours for a midget house league (15-17 year olds) shift..
Tournament weekends it's quite easy to hit $350, but your weekend is basically shot at that point. All you need is a relatively thick skin and the ability to laugh at people going ape-poop in the stands.

I played hockey growing up and just got back into the minor hockey thing coaching rep now (can't believe it's already been 10 years since playing midget). Referees gotta chill the F out nowadays. I mean I remember there were some crappy refs back when I played but nowadays most refs get so damn butthurt whenever anybody says anything at them. Then of course they start tossing bench staff and penalizing the team if it's a parent. And I've noticed this is a thing with younger refs, the older ones generally just tune out anything that's not happening on the ice. Is it something they're teaching at ref clinics now or what?

I'm starting to like this guy. Please ignore everything I've ever said about hipsters.

Your face is a hipster!

hipster-20110127-132854.jpg

Back
Top Bottom