Ontario basic income pilot - prepare your wallets | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario basic income pilot - prepare your wallets

A base of customers snarfling $25 EggMcMuffins around the clock? Bush bash LSD trippin summer '78 somebody suggested why doesn't government cut everybody a $100,000 cheque? Imagine the spending! I know seasons are circular but time is linear.
Uhm, you may be overestimating... like, everything.

Anyways we can talk hypothetical numbers until we're blue in the face, it doesn't matter. What matters is there's a provincial election next year and Wynne needs to wipe the NDP platform out from under them so they can go toe-to-toe against the Cons.

When re-elected, this study will be swept under the rug.

Just a thought...

Maybe Basic Minimum Income could be the first step in automating governance? Maybe Wynne and co. are just looking after their own future unemployed best interests?

Its low on details.

But I find myself wondering... if I've lived for a number of years now on a part time Tim's job, would I keep that $15k/year job and accept the additional $9000 in basic income, or would I just quit and take an extra $2k to sit on my couch? I suppose thats exactly what this study will set out to find. I don't think a temporary study with a small number of participants will reach the correct answer.

Maybe if it was a top up to salary. Say you make $15k/year, it would add $2k to top you up. If you can't work or are on welfare, you stay in the current welfare plan. i.e. you don't get $17k for sitting on the couch. You do like UI does and show you are looking for work, etc.

You just made me realize, this will be a YUGE incentive for people to work under-the-table jobs in the lower income brackets.

So many moving parts to this it's crazy.

Maybe if it was a top up to salary. Say you make $15k/year, it would add $2k to top you up. If you can't work or are on welfare, you stay in the current welfare plan. i.e. you don't get $17k for sitting on the couch. You do like UI does and show you are looking for work, etc.

That defeats the selling point of eliminating hard-to-administer social programs. The point would be to do away with other forms of assistance entirely. Saves money.... except it doesn't save nearly enough to balance a "free money for everyone" scheme, so Im still left scratching my head.

Even still - if you busted your *** for $15k/year, wouldn't you just quit your crappy job to collect $17k from your couch instead of staying employed for a meagre $2k top-up?

I was thinking you don't get $17k for sitting on the couch, you only get $10k from welfare(I have no idea what you actually make on welfare). But yer right if it's to do away with other forms of assistance entirely and save money.....it's doomed not to work.

If it's just to give everyone $17k...why would you bother working at any job less than around $20k a year? Actually it might have to be even more when you take into account all the job related coats like clothing, transport, etc., not even including the hassle working is.

If it's just to give everyone $17k...why would you bother working at any job less than around $20k a year? Actually it might have to be even more when you take into account all the job related coats like clothing, transport, etc., not even including the hassle working is.

In this particular program you get up to $17k minus 1/2 of any earned income. So, for someone already making 20k, they'd get $7k from the gov. If you make 30k, you get $2k. It basically is a top-up, and this study (I assume) aims to find what the response will be.

Move to Hamilton, Lindsay, or Thunder Bay, find a low enough paying job (how low, I don't know), then apply for the study and keep your fingers crossed. You'll be more likely to hit your $17G target if you live with a partner and have a disability.

Let us know how it turns out.

here I thought it was a top up to all salaries.....ah well. Back to work I go tomorrow :(

SO with automation and AI,

we're looking at the whole transport industry being completely changed.
Truck drivers and delivery drivers, bus drivers, taxi drivers, maybe planes too

we're looking at cashiers and tellers and customer service reps being phased out as people prefer not dealing with underpaid people who don't like their jobs

we're looking at a lot of retails stores closing and failing fast as they don't adapt.

we're looking at some of the data analyzing middle management (executives, vps, directors) being phased out, less egos in the way more efficiency.

we're starting to (once again) look at more DURABLE and SUSTAINABLE practices after having had full blown consumerism for about 3/4s of a century... that's a lot of sales jobs that get thrown out the window

yes, in the past industries have fallen and people have repurposed. but the thing is that now, the advances we make tend to not be steps but LEAPS that disrupt the heck out of everything.

So these pilots of universal income are looking at some options as to how to bridge those leaps that will leaving a lot of people scrambling. At least they're testing possible solutions instead of just letting it hit us like a brick wall and hoping that humanity and the market will save us all

May be easier to just not allow self-driving vehicles...

But that's a lot of doom and gloom in one post. These industries aren't gonna sink overnight. It's a pretty sizable leap from where we are now, to driverless trucks hauling our crap around and robots loading, unloading and handling the goods. Best change that art history major to computer sciences.

May be easier to just not allow self-driving vehicles...

But that's a lot of doom and gloom in one post. These industries aren't gonna sink overnight. It's a pretty sizable leap from where we are now, to driverless trucks hauling our crap around and robots loading, unloading and handling the goods. Best change that art history major to computer sciences.
Basically.

It's all going to be about maintaining these vehicles and robots as companies will look for the cheapest labour possible, that doesnt need to be retrained, that doesnt need vacation time or a salary, etc etc. They've already started with outsourcing, so the road of robotics + AI isn't so farfetched when you align with the money saving strategies that are in place. They just need to make the technology more viable/accessible.

I definitely agree that it won't happen overnight, i just think it's going to happen faster than we expect it to happen.

Back
Top Bottom