Harley oil filter question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Harley oil filter question

FattBoyy

1996 harley

Going to do my first oil change

The filter given from the dealership is shorter then the one on the bike

Also the one on the bike has no groves to remove

Any feedback on the size variation and how to take off the grooveless filter that's on there would be appreciated

df6c84b1c88b751a8a5e46b39201e3d7.jpg

12474702b1b59581da2dc427d9fb6281.jpg

1996 harley

Any feedback on the size variation and how to take off the grooveless filter that's on there would be appreciated

I assume the dealership gave you the right filter, but I would refer to your manual and then google the filter model number they give you and beside it type "cross reference" for an endless list if equivalent filter brands.

I use the small filter pliers made by channellock, if I can not remove it by hand. You should only have to put it on by hand, but make sure it is snug, you will know if it is snug, put nice white paper under your bike after you finish putting away your tools and leave it there over night to confirm.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

It's not unusual to see different size filters installed on Harleys. There's a cross reference available that indicates alternative filters from cars. They vary in size. If it physically fits, ie, doesn't interfere with any other components they are safe to use. In fact I run a large Canadian Tire MotoMaster filter that is claimed to hold an additional .75 litres. That combined with larger surface area to aid cooling can only be a good thing imho.
I would look at the Lisle 63600 oil filter wrench attachment because you can come in from the front of filter rather than strap type which requires more room to swing. Measure your filter diameter, the Lisle will remove filters from 2.5 to 3.25 inches. I think I paid like $15-$20. Well worth it.

I assume the dealership gave you the right filter, but I would refer to your manual and then google the filter model number they give you and beside it type "cross reference" for an endless list if equivalent filter brands.

I use the small filter pliers made by channellock, if I can not remove it by hand. You should only have to put it on by hand, but make sure it is snug, you will know if it is snug, put nice white paper under your bike after you finish putting away your tools and leave it there over night to confirm.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

I did confirm the one they gave me it is the correct filter. But I actually like the look of the one that is on there now .

"look"? Is it a girls bike?

I think there is a chrome cover slid over the one on there now see if the cover will come off. You can the slide the cover over the new filter

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

HD makes black and chrome filters. Chrome cost a buck more I think?

The "short" filter is typically for a Sportster while the "long" are for Dyna and other BT engines.

I think the smooth filter is not HD but, plenty of after market filters that do the job just as well and cheaper.

I just happen to buy HD when I'm across the border as it's still half the cost. Even with the exchange rate.

The others got you covered on the removal of the old one. Maybe have some card board between the filter and motor to keep the oil off the engine when removing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1996 harley

The short filter is the one you need. The long filter is for the Twinkie. Yours is a Blockhead. Don't use the long filter on your bike. It is not designed for your oil pump. There are a few dummies around who think a bigger filter is better, but the Twinkie filter is more restrictive, built for a higher capacity pump and will lower the amount of oil flow. The dealer gave you the correct part.

I think there is a chrome cover slid over the one on there now see if the cover will come off. You can the slide the cover over the new filter

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I thought that too but no. The oem and the one that is currently on there are exact diameter 3"

The short filter is the one you need. The long filter is for the Twinkie. Yours is a Blockhead. Don't use the long filter on your bike. It is not designed for your oil pump. There are a few dummies around who think a bigger filter is better, but the Twinkie filter is more restrictive, built for a higher capacity pump and will lower the amount of oil flow. The dealer gave you the correct part.

Twinkie?

Okay well I got it off and did the oil change. I had to take off voltage regulator to get access to mine. Thank to all that chimed in to help me out. Now I have to find out why my rear right turn signal is not blinking :)
New thread !
Fun !

Could be the bulb itself. Just replace with a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom