how to go from green plates to blue plates | GTAMotorcycle.com

how to go from green plates to blue plates

Mojoe

backround: bought a 2003 yamaha xt 225 and a 2008 crf230l last year that were previously blue plated. I changed both ownerships to off road only because I couldn't afford on road insurance and I wanted my wife and I to have a firm grasp on riding techniques in the dirt before we went on actual roads.

I've heard and read many people say that you can not switch back to blue once you switch to green plates and offroad only (brown) ownership. THIS IS NOT TRUE.

what you need to switch back:
-safety inspection
- affidavit describing the bike (color, motor size, safety features etc) signed by a lawyer or guarantor
- picture of the "compliance sticker" which I learned is the sticker by your VIN (on the front forks for 230l) which just says that the bike was manufactured for the road and is DUAL PURPOSE.
-OR if you have no sticker than you need a letter from MANUFACTURER not the dealer, stating that the bike was made for dual purpose.MTO made it clear that dealer and manufacturer are two different entities. don't know how that works with a honda...but compliance sticker is the easier Way to do it.

hope this helps someone else. I couldn't find a straight answer online anywhere.
keep in mind both bikes were manufactured as street legal bikes. this won't work for a full out motocross machine that you want to take on the 401.

Nice work! I was looking into this like 2 or 3 years ago and everyone I had asked, including State Farm, told me it wasn't possible. I knew it had to be, I just didn't want to do all the work to do it.

I want to bike up a dirt bike for this summer, and now that I know it's possible, might go this way with something like a TW200.

This is not new news. Most people were saying if you have a blue plate for an offroad only motorcycle and changed it a green plate, you would not be able to change back to blue again. (legally)

yes that is also true. I just had a hard time finding a definitive answer to my particular situation.

The original poster was able to do it because the bike in question was originally manufactured as a road legal vehicle. This is not a problem and never has been.

The "not possible" comes from people who had converted bikes originally meant for OFF-ROAD use and had them registered as road-legal (blue plates) which was possible to do up until the MTO banned it in (IIRC) 2007. If you have such a bike registered and blue-plated, you can continue to renew the blue plates for it. But if you ever switch back to green plates ... that's it. Can't change back. Since the original poster has what was originally built as a road-legal bike, this situation doesn't apply.

The original poster was able to do it because the bike in question was originally manufactured as a road legal vehicle. This is not a problem and never has been.

The "not possible" comes from people who had converted bikes originally meant for OFF-ROAD use and had them registered as road-legal (blue plates) which was possible to do up until the MTO banned it in (IIRC) 2007. If you have such a bike registered and blue-plated, you can continue to renew the blue plates for it. But if you ever switch back to green plates ... that's it. Can't change back. Since the original poster has what was originally built as a road-legal bike, this situation doesn't apply.

If you were referring to my post, I was trying to do it with a Grom... State Farm was the only insurance company at the time who would insure it, so I was backed into a corner.

I thought you could just have someone register a converted dirt bike in Quebec and transfer it back to Ontario. Is that not still a thing?
EDIT: nvm doesn't seem like this is true anymore

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom