Lane filter with parked cars | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lane filter with parked cars

I asked a Toronto police officer this some time ago, and comments back were- it is not filtering, you are allowed to use that lane even though parking is allowed, if you are doored it is not the motorcyclist's fault.
MTO handbook says you can pass on the right since it is two lanes in same direction

I think there is some confusion here. If the road was designed like Danforth Ave. with two lanes and a parking spot then of course it would be legal. However on a road where there is a lane and a little space then the parking spot, like Queen St. in the Beach, I suspect that it is illegal. There are no "special" laws for motorcycles regarding this sort of stuff. It's the same as someone trying to drive a Smart Car in that space, just because it fits doesn't make it legal. Now after having said that I do it all the time, but I wouldn't do it passing a police car.

Last edited:
I think there is some confusion here. If the road was designed like Danforth Ave. with two lanes and a parking spot then of course it would be legal. However on a road where this a lane and a little space then the parking spot, like Queen St. in the Beach, I suspect that it is illegal. There are no "special" laws for motorcycles regarding this so,rt of stuff. It's the same as someone trying to drive a Smart Car in that space, just because it fits doesn't make it legal. Now after having said that I do it all the time, but I wouldn't do it passing a police car.

As far as I've ever been able to find, this is legal as long as the curb lane (with parking) is actually a separate marked lane and provides sufficient space to do so in safety. Just keep in mind that (as in a recently posted video) you are in an elevated level of danger when doing so, because car drivers are not expecting a moving vehicle to be in that lane. Also consider the possible "passing to the right" charge if something does go wrong.

I think we've covered that point

...Also consider the possible "passing to the right" charge if something does go wrong.

What charge is "passing to the right"? I don't recall anything like that in Ontario HTA.

..Tom

...every year.

Yeah, but the collective consciousness of the internet has no memory, even if all the answers have been written down.

now that we got this important topic resolved I cant wait for the annual ATGATT and "why didn't X rider wave back at me" discussions

Lane sharing and filtering is illegal in Ontario (my lawyer made me say that).
It strikes me that if there is sufficient room to get by safely it should be OK.

It's quite stupid if you ask me.
Especially if i approach an intersection and the lights are red and none of the car's are moving. I should be able to get by these cars to the front. I do this all the time. Nobody is moving, and its perfectly safe. To top it off, i'm the first one to take off and it gets me away from all these terrible drivers. If i ever get pulled over for this, so be it. I'll explain myself as i did. I do this for safety, not for filtering with moving traffic.

Back
Top Bottom