Halton Police Motorcycle Event | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Halton Police Motorcycle Event

There's a ton of paranoia in this thread. What do you think they would do if they were 'collecting information'? Hiding in the bushes with a list of bikes waiting for one to go by and then...............???..............profit?
If after this ride you get caught riding like a hooligan than you're getting pulled over regardless. No one would know or care that you were on the ride or not and no one is going thru this much trouble for minor traffic infractions.

What's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more likely to happen is that some motorcycle enthusiasts that happen to be cops are doing some community outreach. If you roll in with a plate tucked way up under the pillion seat, I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts (cop pun) that one of them says, 'hey man, that might get you nabbed one day, you ought to change that'. I personally know a handful of Halton cops and I have to tell you, a lot of the comments in this thread are stretches. I can ask some questions to some buddies but I'm nearly positive that the directive for this ride is to bridge the gap between police and riders with a 'hey, we're riders too' attitude.

The bike cops ALL have personal rides too eh......

I can put this another way - I am some degree of paranoid. If the police were going to attempt some kind of subterfuge on the motorcycle "community", this is not the form it would take

There's a ton of paranoia in this thread. What do you think they would do if they were 'collecting information'? Hiding in the bushes with a list of bikes waiting for one to go by and then...............???..............profit?
If after this ride you get caught riding like a hooligan than you're getting pulled over regardless. No one would know or care that you were on the ride or not and no one is going thru this much trouble for minor traffic infractions.

What's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more likely to happen is that some motorcycle enthusiasts that happen to be cops are doing some community outreach. If you roll in with a plate tucked way up under the pillion seat, I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts (cop pun) that one of them says, 'hey man, that might get you nabbed one day, you ought to change that'. I personally know a handful of Halton cops and I have to tell you, a lot of the comments in this thread are stretches. I can ask some questions to some buddies but I'm nearly positive that the directive for this ride is to bridge the gap between police and riders with a 'hey, we're riders too' attitude.

And why does this perception exist? Who created that reality/perception?
Let's say they are altruistic and that every LEO is legit in just having a fun time.
What if they are not or one or some of them are not? Who is on the losing end of that stick/tazer/cuffs/bars :)

And a little badge that gets them out of a ticket when they're riding off duty. If you think we're all the same, you haven't been paying attention.

And a little badge that gets them out of a ticket when they're riding off duty. If you think we're all the same, you haven't been paying attention.
What does that have to do with this?
My point is that there isn't anything nefarious going on with this ride and that the bike cops are bike enthusiasts too. I didn't say anything about them getting or not getting tickets on their personal time.

You said

I can ask some questions to some buddies but I'm nearly positive that the directive for this ride is to bridge the gap between police and riders with a 'hey, we're riders too' attitude.

What does that have to do with this?
My point is that there isn't anything nefarious going on with this ride and that the bike cops are bike enthusiasts too. I didn't say anything about them getting or not getting tickets on their personal time.

We may all be riders, but some are more equal than others. If a cop is issuing tickets on a Friday, and flashing his badge to get out of one on Saturday, in my mind, that person is a hypocrite, and not the type of person I chose to ride with.

This goes to a bigger issue, but if the police want to be respected by their community, they need to hold themselves to the same standards as they hold the public. Maybe higher given that it is their job to know and enforce the law. As long as police unions are fighting efforts strengthen the mandate and powers of the SIU, its clear that they see themselves above the law and public accountability. These cops can host all the rides they want, but they are a long way from being one of us.

Last edited:
You said

We may all be riders, but some are more equal than others. If a cop is issuing tickets on a Friday, and flashing his badge to get out of one on Saturday, in my mind, that person is a hypocrite, and not the type of person I chose to ride with.

This goes to a bigger issue, but if the police want to be respected by their community, they need to hold themselves to the same standards as they hold the public. Maybe higher given that it is their job to know and enforce the law. As long as police unions are fighting efforts strengthen the mandate and powers of the SIU, its clear that they see themselves above the law and public accountability. These cops can host all the rides they want, but they are a long way from being one of us.

I don't disagree with most of what you said. I just don't care as much as you do. I mostly ride like a normal human being but I can't say that I've never 'wondered' just how fast my bike goes. We all have perks for being in an industry and if getting out of a (minor) traffic infraction is theirs than so be it. Minor being the very very key word.
I'm not even saying that I'm interested in this ride myself, my whole reason for chiming in at all was just to point out that some of the tin foil hat theories didn't make sense.
If you choose not to ride because of a perceived hypocrisy than all the power to you. Like I said, I can understand that viewpoint. personally, I just don't have enough ****s left to give one about that one. It might not be much, but some outreach is better than none I suppose

9d72f8a0f5087f88ab1ae737e8605130.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don't trust cops ever. If you're gums are flapping around a cop, he / she is collecting information.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Yep. Last time I had a question for a cop I thought, "Nah, I should avoid him. It'll just lead to trouble." Then I thought that was just my pessimistic anti-police attitude and rethought, "How bad can it be if I drive up for a friendly chat?"

I left that interaction with an official warning on record. Learned my lesson. When I complained to the supervisor that this behaviour is not a good way to establish a good relationship with the public he told me I'm lucky I didn't get a ticket and need to take responsibility for my actions. Better to just keep clear.

since they are always telling ppl to take it to the track
Why don't they organize a track day event?

Or a skills competition. Some of those guys are amazing at slow speed maneuvers on big old harleys. It'd also open it up to more than just riders. I know non-riders that would check that out

There was a situation a few years ago where the cops organized an event at TMP (then Cayuga) drag strip ... and were stopping cars on the road in the vicinity of the event checking for proper emissions equipment, etc.

I, personally, was pulled over on the way to a track day at TMP. They were set up at the MTO yard on highway 56 inspecting trailers. Mine didn't have any issues, and they sent me on my way ... but doing stuff like this sends the wrong message. Worse, I don't think management even grasps the concept that it is sending the wrong message.

The less I deal with the police, the better.

Not picking a fight but if you have a car that is 'on the fringe' for emissions and exhaust and not trailering it to a police organized drag race day, your not the most clever bunny. Same with hauling a trailer to a track day, if your trailer isn't going to pass a safety maybe you should skip a track day and put that cash toward fixing your equipment.

I personally like the weekends when they announce on the news "its cottage country speeding weekend enforcement" and boat safety week and collect several hundred guys that didnt expect a speed zone on highway 11, or the OPP boat out in honey harbor. Cant fix stupid.

Not picking a fight but if you have a car that is 'on the fringe' for emissions and exhaust and not trailering it to a police organized drag race day, your not the most clever bunny. Same with hauling a trailer to a track day, if your trailer isn't going to pass a safety maybe you should skip a track day and put that cash toward fixing your equipment.

I personally like the weekends when they announce on the news "its cottage country speeding weekend enforcement" and boat safety week and collect several hundred guys that didnt expect a speed zone on highway 11, or the OPP boat out in honey harbor. Cant fix stupid.

I agree. If you in check and your bike is how it should be and ride normal\spirited it would and or should be a good time. If you come out with mods that you know aren't legal and looking to lane split and pass on the shoulder then its probably not an event for you. lol

It would blow my mind to see all the people cops would collect on Highway 10 on a weekend. I get anxious when I *can't* see the cop there, like maybe they're tailgating me for fun again and I haven't noticed yet

So, anybody gonna go on this ride ? Seems as though the consensus is to avoid this ride....

My feeling is if their is something legally questionble about your bike you'll probably just be asked to get it fixed as someone else has already posted.I think the HRP's intentions are good on this one and the ride is a good way to improve relations with the community

just my thoughts

So, anybody gonna go on this ride ? Seems as though the consensus is to avoid this ride....

The way I see it is... Why?

Personally I'm not into the whole group ride thing anyway... I have maybe two guys I can stand enough to ride with, but that's it.
As far as this event goes...
'Good way to justify a paid day out riding using publicly funded gas and equipment. (You don't think these officers are doing this on their day off do you..?)

Then again it's the Halton "Recreational" Police so... Appropriate..:D

My feeling is if their is something legally questionble about your bike you'll probably just be asked to get it fixed as someone else has already posted.I think the HRP's intentions are good on this one and the ride is a good way to improve relations with the community

just my thoughts
Too early for me. I'm definitely not getting up early enough to get from TO to Halton by 8am on a Saturday.

I have to agree with Brian. If it's really about getting people to take the safer option, pullin' tags of a 20 year olds only car because no EGR is not going to accomplish anything... Reality, they just can't pass up the opportunity to pad the local coffers. Would bet force A from the city organizes event, while force B in the sticks says "hey, why don't we set up and see what we can get"

Well , I don't know why I even feel like I should say this but I do.

My time on this board has come to an end : (

I love motorcycles , riding them , sometimes working on them however the politics on this board are not for me.

I am done , do not shed a tear my friends ( lol )

Attitude is everything, the way I see it....
*I get to ride in a region I'm not overly familiar with so I may discover some new roads/places of interest.
*I get to meet new people.....(yes, police are people too) I've met some of the most amazing people in the most random places.
*I get to finish off the ride with some delicious wings and a pint of ginger ale...my fav!!!!

I'm in :)

Back
Top Bottom