Rotella T on Sale at CT | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rotella T on Sale at CT

ReSTored

If you're a Rotella T fan it's on sale to 23/4 for about $60 / 18.9l pail. Dirt cheap.

That's just the regular T. Not the T6 (full synthetic) that most people are running.

That's just the regular T. Not the T6 (full synthetic) that most people are running.

I've only ever used the regular T. Don't like synthetic on wet clutch setups, personally.

Have over 20,000K between the two bikes on Rotella, happy camper here.

I use mostly T but the T6 is better oil. I might go to T6 for one reason, it's better oil. I was looking at 1lt and 5lt T6 offerings at CTC. Buying in 1lt units is wayy more expensive than buying in 5lt jugs. Plotting a graph indicates 18.9lt pail should be even wayyer cheaper assuming current trend. That's the kind of slippery slope I can get behind.

Goes on sale at TSC frequently also fyi. Stocked up a couple weeks ago when all T oils were 20% off.

Good to see more and more people on the Rotella wagon.

Geez I remember when people first started using it a few years ago there was countless doom and gloom naysayers that were telling everyone that we'd all be destroying our engines by daring to use a non-motorcycle (much less a *gasp* diesel!) engine oil in a motorcycle.

I'm pretty sure it's JASO-MA rated.

Might be now. Might have been all along. Not sure on either.

What I do know is that even if it was both, it was never listed on the containers in the past, hence all the "you're destroying your engine" tales of woe.

As we all know when any oil thread pops up there's still a huge majority of MC owners who are convinced you still need to use the "special" (and horribly expensive) motorcycle oil for fear of the bike literally blowing up otherwise.

Cost less and is so cheap a person don't mind changing at 5000 km. For those of us that can put on 30,000 a summer. If I were to drop 80 bucks on a oil change I would be more likely want to run 10,000 or more. Clean oil is still better protection.

If I had to guess, I've probably done about 170k km across multiple bikes on T6. No bike has blown up yet.

Might be now. Might have been all along. Not sure on either.

What I do know is that even if it was both, it was never listed on the containers in the past, hence all the "you're destroying your engine" tales of woe.

As we all know when any oil thread pops up there's still a huge majority of MC owners who are convinced you still need to use the "special" (and horribly expensive) motorcycle oil for fear of the bike literally blowing up otherwise.

Jaso MA rating has indeed been on the T6 labels since at least 2013 when I bought the Ape... Anyway, I'm actually using eni I-sint 5w40 atm as it's what I have in bulk; no JASO cert.

Don't forget about the $5/gallon rebate on shell's website
Still cheaper in the states.
Picked up my season's worth for $22usd, +$5 rebate. (that's the everyday price at Walmart)

Just experienced this clutch slipping problem with Rotella T6 in the last few days:

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100192

"New" Rotella T6 5W-40 clutch slips

Clutch slipping so bad on GF's bike she couldn't move. Being a girl and not mechanically inclined, she pulled over and shut the bike off. I got the bike back, dumped the Rotella T6 out and added my usual Motul 7100. Took bike out, over five minutes or so slipping gradually left as residual Rotella left the clutch plates. Now I have two other bikes full of brand new Rotella T6 that I haven't started yet that I'm going to have to dump. If you Google "Rotella clutch slipping" (which I did), you'll see it is happening out there!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That's the reason I use just the T, not the T6.

Funny this, I was just recently into my HD primary drive and needed to fill with fresh oil. Had enough remainder of T6 on the shelf to do the job but gut sense indicated a strong "no". Threw in the Kendall GT-1 instead. Now I read the above info. Saying I feel airy and fairy would be an understatement.

I use T6 and have never experienced clutch slipping even after several tens of thousands of kms, how do you explain that?

I used it as well. No clutch slipping either. That bike only makes 36-38hp. May there's a threshold?

It's one of those issues you won't believe until you experience it personally. Keyboard warriors will argue the technology specs to death, but it is out there, and common. See http://bfy.tw/BNmT Perhaps the recipe has changed, more friction modifiers, environmental (diesel catalytic converter friendly)...who knows, but your bike may not move. You may glaze your clutch plates from slipping. I noticed a burning smell from the Rotella I dumped out of GF's bike although the colour had not changed. The clutch plates were obviously fighting to mate and couldn't. Seeing the short distance she went, and no clutch fibers were present in the oil, I don't think any permanent damage was done. This is on a Husqrvana TE 250 as well, so that throws the "high power, high torque bike only argument" out the window. Try the non-synthetic version as Private Pilot suggests or just use motorcycle oil. GP Bikes has a relatively decent price on the red gold that is Motul 7100, and it's delivered for free.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom