Rounded drain plug | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rounded drain plug

I wouldn't hammer anything anywhere there. The bolt may be steel but the sump is a couple of mm of aluminum and easily cracked.

Id assume he took the picture from the bottom looking upwards

OK, I screwed that up. What about smashing socket on? That's still a go amirite.

Pipe wrench, if you can get one in there, will probably work wonders I agree. They make them in a variety of sizes, but the bigger one you can fit (extra leverage and meatier teeth) would be the best option.

Once it's out, toss it.

Waiting for the new drain plug to arrive before I attempt anything else

Hopefully it'll be here tomorrow

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Have you narrowed down the extraction method? This is getting exciting.

I find that a Torx bit sometimes works but all of these smashing-things-on-the-bolt methods can also further damage the bolt. The extractor bit is the safest bet.

Channel-lock Nutbuster. If I have the room this is my go too, even over the previously mentioned extractors.

ap5.jpg

Channel-lock Nutbuster. If I have the room this is my go too, even over the previously mentioned extractors.

ap5.jpg
Hmmmm......Channel lock seems to have stolen my wife's nickname

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Was going​ to wait til Saturday but tried my luck anyways

The culprit
40453da60b5d0981e05c8c40f4072937.jpg

Thanks​ to everyone who offered their advice and to the ones who offered their help

I tried the pipe wrench but there was very little clearance and I wasn't able to turn it after I got it around the bolt head

I tried one of those fancy turbo sockets/bolt extractor sockets but they didnt work for me either

c51276bcc8da6a7ea77323e71be38375.jpg

In the end what worked was I found a high quality 12mm socket.. Tapped it on to the bolt...used as big of a extension I could fit and give it a nice tug
887d37cd1840206062be15aac121e94b.jpg

...used as big of a extension I could fit and give it a nice tug

The longest extension? Is that what you mean?

Glad it's done. Where's the new one?

via Tapatalk

Yes thats what I meant :)

Didnt take a picture of the new bolt and washer

(Replace them both)

Used a torque wrench to tighten the bolt

Last oil change was done by previous owner - hopefully nothing else is over torqued

The longest extension? Is that what you mean?

Glad it's done. Where's the new one?

via Tapatalk
09a1ecdb701eede7c010c762becd98ca.jpg

good on ya. I keep a length of pipe around for just that use. Slip it over the ratchet handle and from a couple feet away....torque.

Some one mentioned using a Torch....if you don't have one, try to get a heat gun...I beleive Prince auto has one for cheap...penetrant and then heat gun on the aluminum around the nut should break it free...but I see you already got it out so congrats!

Those reverse thread bolt extractors work really well with impact wrenches. Were you using an impact or hand wrench.
Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Those reverse thread bolt extractors work really well with impact wrenches. Were you using an impact or hand wrench.
Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk
The set I got from CT had a round hole at the back instead of a square that would fit on a socket wrench

Back
Top Bottom