Rounded drain plug | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rounded drain plug

abkdt41

Went to go change the oil and couldnt get the drain plug off....was using a 6 sided 12 mm socket

Edges are rounded and the socket just spins

Tried vice grips as well but no luck

Any other suggestions?
f29af654dce53b28787e943fca6c7e8c.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Dremel?
Just kidding
12 sided socket?
Serious

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

That stripped bolt extractor bit that Blackfin posted works well. I have used it on lugs and it works awesome. I have a set, if you want to come by and use it you are welcome to.

Buy a new one before you pull the old one. Reinstalling that plug is just asking for trouble.

I'd use blackfins tool. Although JB said he was kidding about the dremel, I have slotted fasteners before to give you something to grip.

Spray some penetrating oil on it and let it sit for a while. Tapping it, gently mind you, may help break it loose but being aluminum you would have to be careful. Good luck

Buy a new one before you pull the old one. Reinstalling that plug is just asking for trouble.

I'd use blackfins tool. Although JB said he was kidding about the dremel, I have slotted fasteners before to give you something to grip.
I'd just be concerned about the dremel slipping and damaging the oil pan. Much bigger headache then.

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

little bit of heat from propane torch on the aluminum, and vise grips again. al will expand slightly. and if there is room file some edge to the bolt and get am 11mm on it

I had the exact same problem last year. The bolt extractors did not work for me either.

I was told to find a socket that will fit the rounded bolt and then hit it with a hammer. Not a rubber hammer a regular steel one.

Then use your wrench...

This got it loose in no time.

Good Luck.

Went to go change the oil and couldnt get the drain plug off....was using a 6 sided 12 mm socket

Edges are rounded and the socket just spins

Tried vice grips as well but no luck

Any other suggestions?
f29af654dce53b28787e943fca6c7e8c.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

PM Sent

Use an angle grinder to shave the edges off a bit. Make it into a 11mm hex

Aren't drain bolts usually at the bottom? That looks more like a fill bolt. Ya, anyway, smash socket on.

use the propane torch and a vice grip. heat around the bolt. (Dont heat up the bolt!). hit the vice grip with your palm or hammer a few time towards counter clock before you start turning the vice grip. buy new bolt and washer
you don't have a 11 mm socket

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom