New Bike considering some track days. | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Bike considering some track days.

UrbnRzqr

Hey all just upgraded to a liter bike and am considering some track days. I find myself approaching turns and concentrating on the apex of the turn, I also hit turns trying to maximize lean angle not knowing if its correct for the turn or the rate of speed I'm going at. Looks like if I'm going to learn anything or have any fun its going to be on a track.

Being a mature rider I was able to upgrade to a liter bike with many riding aids. Is a liter bike the wrong bike to start with.. Our tracks equipped with loading and unloading areas.. Live near an industrial area with loading docks to throw the bike on and off my truck.. Wouldn't be comfortable loading and unloading on my own. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

so you upgraded to a liter bike, and you're asking if a liter bike is wrong to start with... so your previous bike was also a liter bike????

There are lots of peeps that will help you load , unload even lend you a ramp. There's nothing wrong with using any bike at the track, just ride within your limits.

Shannonville has a loading/unloading ramp that you can back your pickup to. i'm not sure about any other track

Its right at the front of the main parking area next to the restrooms.

Its pick up truck bed level and has a ramp large enough to walk / ride up.

Have you considered a course to start with? What bike you use will make no difference if you don't learn any technique.

From what you said about your street riding, you could use some theory and guided practice before letting loose on your own, so you at least know what to aim for.

...sensing some trolling.

Better flick on all the rider aids to full blast while loading the bike with one of these: https://www.wayfair.ca/Prairie-View-Industries-Solid-Ramp-PVI1063.html

Not sure what a troll is but I'll check it out on Urban Dictionary.

so you upgraded to a liter bike, and you're asking if a liter bike is wrong to start with... so your previous bike was also a liter bike????

Was on a R6 that, I'll be selling when the heat of the season starts. Honestly just don't want to be that noob that goes down on his first trek out.

There are lots of peeps that will help you load , unload even lend you a ramp. There's nothing wrong with using any bike at the track, just ride within your limits.
Sounds like its a great community out there at the track. Kind of regretting I didn't get my feet wet on the track a while back. Is there any folks out there with street tires.. Thanks for the feedback Gguy

Shannonville has a loading/unloading ramp that you can back your pickup to. i'm not sure about any other track
Good to know. Was speaking to one of the parts guys at GPbikes and mentioned the cost of a Uhaul trailer being so inexpensive. Might go that route.. Good to to know there is a load dock for future Track days.

You probably should have tracked the R6 first but you can get out there on a liter bike if you show it respect. The best advice here is to go out to a school / track day like Racer 5 or Fast first. (you can rent bikes I think from both and learn on their bikes) Learning the basics first will help you enjoy your future track days and reduce your risk of making a mistake and going down out there. May keep you from being injured and having to spend money on repairs.
I would recommend at least that you get a set of track plastics for the bike if you have OEM plastics on the bike so you can save them. Track plastics are easy to repair. (that is if this is going to be both a street and track bike. Otherwise disregard this)
Have fun

Tires are very important, I would recommend Dunlop Q3 or the new Q3+.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I would definitely go the Uhaul bike trailer route at first - inexpensive (maybe $30 including taxes & insurance) & with a nice big, low ramp making one man load/unload a complete doddle.
I used U Haul for my first year of track days then bought a little fold up trailer last year.
As for road tires I used Dunlop Q3's on my ZX7 for the first 2 years & thought they were great.
I have just put the new Michelin Power RS on my GSXR1000 for 2017 track days, I'll let you know how they get on when I finally get out on track.
Just go, ride your bike, enjoy the experience & don't be afraid of wandering around the pits talking to other riders, I've not met an unfriendly one yet.
It makes sense to do a track course as others have stated above.
Be warned, its very, very addictive ;)

Already been said but ... Take a school to sort out your technique and comfort level.

www.fastridingschool.com
www.racer5.ca

Help with loading and unloading at the track is easy to find, that's not an issue, just ask.

Also, read a couple of the sticky threads at the top of this forum section.

You probably should have tracked the R6 first but you can get out there on a liter bike if you show it respect. The best advice here is to go out to a school / track day like Racer 5 or Fast first. (you can rent bikes I think from both and learn on their bikes) Learning the basics first will help you enjoy your future track days and reduce your risk of making a mistake and going down out there. May keep you from being injured and having to spend money on repairs.
I would recommend at least that you get a set of track plastics for the bike if you have OEM plastics on the bike so you can save them. Track plastics are easy to repair. (that is if this is going to be both a street and track bike. Otherwise disregard this)
Have fun

Already been said but ... Take a school to sort out your technique and comfort level.

www.fastridingschool.com
www.racer5.ca

Help with loading and unloading at the track is easy to find, that's not an issue, just ask.

Also, read a couple of the sticky threads at the top of this forum section.

The Stickies are very informative. Think my bike has a type of battlax tire, wonder if I can beat on these for a bit.

Will update the FASTschool sounds like a great option. Are there rates comparable... I'll look up rates.

Not sure what a troll is but I'll check it out on Urban Dictionary.

My apologies, it just seemed like one of those first posts along the lines of "I'll be okay riding this land rocket, right"?

I've never ridden a 1000cc bike but have taken my Triumph Street Triple (naked version of the Daytona 675, if you're not familiar) on the track. It was kinda scary. That was even after doing race school and a few racing weekends with the 250. I have a 250 for the track, which has been way easier to learn on.

But yeah, you definitely have the right idea. You'll learn the most at the track. It's not safe to explore the limits of a motorcycle on the street.

Think my bike has a type of battlax tire, wonder if I can beat on these for a bit.

Best be figuring out exactly what tires you have, if they are suitable for track use ("Battlax" is a pretty generic name that Bridgestone uses for a wide variety of tires) and what the recommended pressure/temperature is for those tires IF they are suitable for track use. You are entering a world of tire and suspension adjustments like you've never seen. The faster you go, the more critical it all gets.

Back
Top Bottom