Help with Insurance Options for 2017 R6 (Fully understanding dilemma) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help with Insurance Options for 2017 R6 (Fully understanding dilemma)

kaladui

Hey brothers and sisters. Happy riding.

Need help finding a company to give lower insurance for the 2017 R6. I'm 29. M1 Acquired July 2016. M2 October 2016. Riders training course completed April 16th 2017.

Now before we all jump at me! I'm a very experienced rider. been riding since I was 15. Dirt and Street. 100cc, 150cc, 300cc, 500cc, 650cc. No accidents ever.

Now my dilemma is that insurance companies wont accept my experience and insurance history from my home country because they seem to only accept canada/usa history. So I obviously had to start from M1 and move up and I have no Canadian motorcycle insurance experience.

I know its inevitable and because of this situation especially with my choice of bike, r6, which I'm not willing to change because this is the bike I want to ride this year. Im capable of riding it and Dont wanna wait. I understand the premium will be high and I'm willing to pay it. I just want the lesser of the evils. So far Yamaha AON is saying $5,400/year standalone. I'm ok with that. Considering all state said after 12 months insured in Canada they would give me $1,320 a year for the same bike. And I'd have my M by then and probably an advanced training course if need be.

The rules and laws around sports have changed in ontario and I watched them do so. Its almost like everywhere blacklists them, especially if you have my situation. I just want a company that will for sure insure me and I'm hoping y'all can help provide some suggestions that could come lower than $5,400.

Any thoughts?

Side note. If for any reason AON flops and I cant get $5,400 a year or lower. I do have a list of other non sport bikes that I'd be willing to settle for temporarily.
But I dont see why AON would flop. But fingers crossed you guys can maybe provide better?

Thanks for your time

Hate to break it to you but it's going to be about 5,500 pretty much anywhere you call. I am same as you have been riding my whole life, got licensed last year, got multiple quotes on a gsxr600 this year..all over $5,000. And I was getting quotes on 5 year old ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response. If thats the case oh well. At least Im ok with 5,500 to start.

Yeah 5k is what you'll be quoted, by everyone, that is if they will insure at all.

Other option is ride without insurance(im guessing a lot of sport bike riders are doing that now days)

They still see you as a new rider, they go by 'their books' and 'their data' and according to their data you are new.

A few years of experience, over 30, and full M and the premium for sport bike will be much better(although it will never be cheap for a SS)

Yeah 5k is what you'll be quoted, by everyone, that is if they will insure at all.

Other option is ride without insurance(im guessing a lot of sport bike riders are doing that now days)

They still see you as a new rider, they go by 'their books' and 'their data' and according to their data you are new.

A few years of experience, over 30, and full M and the premium for sport bike will be much better(although it will never be cheap for a SS)

Thanks for your response.

The hardest part is so many dont want to insure me at all. Im fine with it being around the 5 range but so money companies just saying no. And some giving mixed answers. Yamaha Aon so far is looking the most realistic. State farm too expensive 7k+ Intact originally said blacklisted. but now they telling me 2017 model will be fine. confusing. A few say they need the VIN. Which I wont have till pretty much when the bike ships.

But I dont even get my hopes up with those. Cause my view is VIN= blacklisted.

Other option is ride without insurance...

No, this is not an option. Don't even think about it. When things go sour, the consequences will be enormous.

OP, are you mad, man? You must have more money than brains to consider $5,000 acceptable. Get yourself a more reasonable bike, then go for the race replica once you've gathered a few years experience and look more favourable in the eyes of the insurance company.

via Tapatalk

Last edited:
Unfortunately its obvious from his posts he's hell bent on the r6....

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Wait wait hold up OP...you said yamaha aon...dont tell me your financing on TOP of the ridiculous insurance premium?!

Wait wait hold up OP...you said yamaha aon...dont tell me your financing on TOP of the ridiculous insurance premium?!

Don't worry. He's fine with that...

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

No, this is not an option. Don't even think about it. When things go sour, the consequences will be enormous.

OP, are you mad, man? You must have more money than brains to consider $5,000 acceptable. Get yourself a more reasonable bike, then go for the race replica once you've gathered a few years experience and look more favourable in the eyes of the insurance company.

via Tapatalk

Although it would be the easiest. riding with no insurance. I don't intend to. I prefer doing things the right way. I never said $5,000 is acceptable. Its far from it especially for someone with my experience. Love is blind. you just see bright lights. That R6 is an Angel

might finance, might cash it. all depends

I guess if you have $400+/month to burn then go for it.

Just remember that this is a 12 month policy and you won't realistically ride for half of it, so look at it as $800/month for the rideable season.

If that still sounds good to you, then hey, all the power to you. You may look back on it when that $400 bill comes in every month next winter when the snow is flying as a less than wise decision, however.

Ultimately, it's your money.

might finance, might cash it. all depends

Was that $5000 quote for full coverage, or just liability? Because if you finance you will be required by the finance company to carry full coverage.

According to their website yamaha aon is for clients of yamaha financing...so im guessing you are financing....
BAD idea your paying 500 a month just for insurance PLUS bike payments....unless you making 7 figures dont do it...get a nice small fun bike used till you get experience and a full M

I would recommend the R3, test rode one, fun little sexy bike, there are a bunch used ones you can find im sure

Last edited:
Sound like your insurance going cost you more than your bike. you don't want to be in situation where you have to sell your new R6 later down to road.
There is canadain motovlogger that was in the exact same situation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQJKXCfpz7Y. but he later bought the same bike back. keeps us posted on what you decide!

btw i like the white and matte silver one, just saying

I guess if you have $400+/month to burn then go for it.

Just remember that this is a 12 month policy and you won't realistically ride for half of it, so look at it as $800/month for the rideable season.

If that still sounds good to you, then hey, all the power to you. You may look back on it when that $400 bill comes in every month next winter when the snow is flying as a less than wise decision, however.

Ultimately, it's your money.

Was that $5000 quote for full coverage, or just liability? Because if you finance you will be required by the finance company to carry full coverage.
Yes full coverage. Some companies are giving me around $3,000 quotes. hard to believe. need vin to guarantee. but i guess they are saying the new 2017 r6 is exempt from blacklist or surcharge because of the new abs system. not getting my hopes up.

According to their website yamaha aon is for clients of yamaha financing...so im guessing you are financing....
BAD idea your paying 500 a month just for insurance PLUS bike payments....unless you making 7 figures dont do it...get a nice small fun bike used till you get experience and a full M

I would recommend the R3, test rode one, fun little sexy bike, there are a bunch used ones you can find im sure

It is high I wont lie. I have a list of alternates incase once I get the VIN rates are unreasonable. I just need something with power. i've done enough of the small bikes. its a passion thing more than a money thing

Sound like your insurance going cost you more than your bike. you don't want to be in situation where you have to sell your new R6 later down to road.
There is canadain motovlogger that was in the exact same situation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQJKXCfpz7Y. but he later bought the same bike back. keeps us posted on what you decide!

btw i like the white and matte silver one, just saying
true. im gonna have to see what happens in may when the shipments come in. yamaha taking long getting the new models to dealers. like i mentioned above. need a vin to confirm quotes. some are saying theyd give me $2,800 a year. i need to have it in writing before I decide no to the R6. Realistically now after everything ive learnt and seen. I will get another bike if i dont get a realistic premium

It is high I wont lie. I have a list of alternates incase once I get the VIN rates are unreasonable. I just need something with power. i've done enough of the small bikes. its a passion thing more than a money thing
So that's a yes your financing on top of crazy insurance, by all means if your cognizant of it, 500 in insurance every month + 200 in bike payments each month if you have the discretionary income

Back
Top Bottom