Help with Insurance Options for 2017 R6 (Fully understanding dilemma) - Page 2



Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 61

Thread: Help with Insurance Options for 2017 R6 (Fully understanding dilemma)

  1. #21
    roadrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    85

    Re: Help with Insurance Options for 2017 R6 (Fully understanding dilemma)

    Forum Sponsor
    Be careful with Allstate. I was given an amazingly low quote for Yamaha R1 under $1500. 2 days later they tell me they cant insure me because I'm under 30. Allstate's policies have changed.

    They did mention that if I insure my current motorcycle/home/auto with them this year then theyll insure a SS for me next year. Not sure if I should take their word for it. The bundle is turning out to be more expensive than other insurers.

    Sent from my LG-D852 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
    Last edited by roadrash; 04-21-2017 at 02:24 AM.

  2. #22
    kaladui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    South West Ontario
    Posts
    25

    Re: Help with Insurance Options for 2017 R6 (Fully understanding dilemma)

    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa View Post
    So that's a yes your financing on top of crazy insurance, by all means if your cognizant of it, 500 in insurance every month + 200 in bike payments each month if you have the discretionary income

    Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    to avoid the interest from financing i may cash it. then just focus on insurance. just depends on what premium we will be looking at.
    "Burn rubber, not your soul"

  3. #23
    Neil_V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    3,051

    Re: Help with Insurance Options for 2017 R6 (Fully understanding dilemma)

    I payed 4k per for a 250 Ninja back in the day. Not a perfect record, but I'd imagine OP would be looking at 3500+ for a 300 these days, and given his wealth of experience, meh, it's probably worth it to spend the extra for the R6 imo.
    2013 Aprilia RSV4 R APRC

  4. #24
    kaladui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    South West Ontario
    Posts
    25

    Re: Help with Insurance Options for 2017 R6 (Fully understanding dilemma)

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
    Be careful with Allstate. I was given an amazingly low quote for Yamaha R1 under $1500. 2 days later they tell me they cant insure me because I'm under 30. Allstate's policies have changed.

    They did mention that if I insure my current motorcycle/home/auto with them this year then theyll insure a SS for me next year. Not sure if I should take their word for it. The bundle is turning out to be more expensive than other insurers.

    Sent from my LG-D852 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
    Yea gotta be careful with anyone these days. need things in writing and locked in before I believe anything anymore. Although I'll be 30 by the time I try allstate so hoping they dont change anything else by then. what i've noticed is the bundles will turn your auto to insanity and make the bike look pretty. but really its what you're paying combined that matters not individually with the bundle
    "Burn rubber, not your soul"

  5. #25

    Re: Help with Insurance Options for 2017 R6 (Fully understanding dilemma)

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_V View Post
    I payed 4k per for a 250 Ninja back in the day. Not a perfect record, but I'd imagine OP would be looking at 3500+ for a 300 these days, and given his wealth of experience, meh, it's probably worth it to spend the extra for the R6 imo.
    Hes 29 so for a 300 probably under 2k...id say 1500-2000
    (I was getting 1300 for ninja 300, 2k for an r3)

    Its not about his ability to ride an r6...more about the insane financial cost



    Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

  6. #26
    kaladui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    South West Ontario
    Posts
    25

    Re: Help with Insurance Options for 2017 R6 (Fully understanding dilemma)

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_V View Post
    I payed 4k per for a 250 Ninja back in the day. Not a perfect record, but I'd imagine OP would be looking at 3500+ for a 300 these days, and given his wealth of experience, meh, it's probably worth it to spend the extra for the R6 imo.
    3,500 plus for a 300cc??
    "Burn rubber, not your soul"

  7. #27
    roadrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    85

    Re: Help with Insurance Options for 2017 R6 (Fully understanding dilemma)

    Quote Originally Posted by kaladui View Post
    Yea gotta be careful with anyone these days. need things in writing and locked in before I believe anything anymore. Although I'll be 30 by the time I try allstate so hoping they dont change anything else by then. what i've noticed is the bundles will turn your auto to insanity and make the bike look pretty. but really its what you're paying combined that matters not individually with the bundle
    Yes, you're right. The reason the bundle is expensive for me is because both auto/home combined are about $700 more expensive than what I can get elsewhere.

    I too will be turning 30 next year. Hoping to hop on the Allstate wagon and finally get a SS.

    Please keep us posted about your situation. Good luck!

    Sent from my LG-D852 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

  8. #28
    Neil_V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    3,051

    Re: Help with Insurance Options for 2017 R6 (Fully understanding dilemma)

    Quote Originally Posted by kaladui View Post
    3,500 plus for a 300cc??
    welcome to Ontario, where anything with a fairing is automatically a crotch rocket, and therefore subject to ridiculous rates for a new rider.

    edit: bigpoppa may be right, just going off my personal experience with a single ticket, many years ago. Should check it out and see what the difference actually is. If it's substantial a 300 can be a blast if you're near any tight twisties
    Last edited by Neil_V; 04-21-2017 at 02:47 AM.
    2013 Aprilia RSV4 R APRC

  9. #29
    kaladui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    South West Ontario
    Posts
    25

    Re: Help with Insurance Options for 2017 R6 (Fully understanding dilemma)

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
    Yes, you're right. The reason the bundle is expensive for me is because both auto/home combined are about $700 more expensive than what I can get elsewhere.

    I too will be turning 30 next year. Hoping to hop on the Allstate wagon and finally get a SS.

    Please keep us posted about your situation. Good luck!

    Sent from my LG-D852 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
    will do thanks!
    "Burn rubber, not your soul"

  10. #30
    kaladui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    South West Ontario
    Posts
    25

    Re: Help with Insurance Options for 2017 R6 (Fully understanding dilemma)

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_V View Post
    welcome to Ontario, where anything with a fairing is automatically a crotch rocket, and therefore subject to ridiculous rates for a new rider.

    edit: bigpoppa may be right, just going off my personal experience with a single ticket, many years ago. Should check it out and see what the difference actually is. If it's substantial a 300 can be a blast if you're near any tight twisties
    a huge part of it is psychological. the nakeds just dont look as good as a sport. and that alone can change what your paying drastically power aside. do they only count bike tickets? or do they also look at car?
    "Burn rubber, not your soul"

  11. #31
    Neil_V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    3,051

    Re: Help with Insurance Options for 2017 R6 (Fully understanding dilemma)

    Quote Originally Posted by kaladui View Post
    a huge part of it is psychological. the nakeds just dont look as good as a sport. and that alone can change what your paying drastically power aside. do they only count bike tickets? or do they also look at car?
    nope, any ticket, car or bike. As for naked vs SS, it's hilarious, but you could probably insure an MT-10 for the same or less than that R6 lol
    2013 Aprilia RSV4 R APRC

  12. #32
    kaladui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    South West Ontario
    Posts
    25

    Re: Help with Insurance Options for 2017 R6 (Fully understanding dilemma)

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_V View Post
    nope, any ticket, car or bike. As for naked vs SS, it's hilarious, but you could probably insure an MT-10 for the same or less than that R6 lol
    state farm guy blew my mind yesterday. standalone for the r6 for me would be $8k plus. the 2017 fz10 he said would be $2,670. the system is completely messed. the fz10 is just as, if not more powerful than the r6 and has the same if not worse risk. how is there a 6000 dollar difference in premium regardless of insurance experience. underwriters need to rethink things
    "Burn rubber, not your soul"

  13. #33

    Re: Help with Insurance Options for 2017 R6 (Fully understanding dilemma)

    Quote Originally Posted by kaladui View Post
    state farm guy blew my mind yesterday. standalone for the r6 for me would be $8k plus. the 2017 fz10 he said would be $2,670. the system is completely messed. the fz10 is just as, if not more powerful than the r6 and has the same if not worse risk. how is there a 6000 dollar difference in premium regardless of insurance experience. underwriters need to rethink things
    The FZ10 would smoke the r6, just saying. It's the R1 motor just geared didferently.

    My FZ-09 would too, to 100 mph that is. I had a 2015 cbr600rr before I bought my 2016 FZ-09. The cbr can't hold a candle to the fz. It's seriously that much quicker. I honestly thought something was wrong with my CBR after riding it a month after I bought the FZ. Nothing was, it's just how they are. Top end on the FZ is around 230, where as the r6 will be 250. Not much difference, but the R6 is the least comfortable super sport made, and the FZ is upright and comfortable to ride all day.

    Obviously if you're set on the R6 you'll find this out for yourself. I was the same way with my CBR, I had to have it. It was a nice bike, great in the twisties, but wasn't comfortable in any sense of the word!

    Secondly, don't finance it. Don't put collision on it either. Save yourself thousands of dollars.

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    2015 CBR600RR - Two Brothers Exhaust, Snakeskin tank pads & tank protector, Ram phone mount, USB charger.
    2014 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Way too many mods to list.


  14. #34

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Aprilia Caponord (RIP), 1974 mini
    Posts
    4,503

    Re: Help with Insurance Options for 2017 R6 (Fully understanding dilemma)

    Quote Originally Posted by kaladui View Post
    state farm guy blew my mind yesterday. standalone for the r6 for me would be $8k plus. the 2017 fz10 he said would be $2,670. the system is completely messed. the fz10 is just as, if not more powerful than the r6 and has the same if not worse risk. how is there a 6000 dollar difference in premium regardless of insurance experience. underwriters need to rethink things
    The system is based on past experiences. People that ride like retards and crash primarily buy RR bikes and avoid the nakeds. People that buy nakeds are normally care less about showing off and more about riding. Obviously there are exceptions, but based on the rates, my perceptions play out statistically. They look much less at the potential risk of a bike than they do the past risk from similar bikes. For a long time (I don't think it's true anymore), insurance on fast sport touring bikes like the blackbird and ZX14 was ridiculously cheap. Don't hate the system, learn how to use it to your advantage.

    The other possibility is that the FZ10 is underpriced this year because they don't realize the risk yet and after a year of paying claims it will jump to bend over prices.

  15. #35

    Re: Help with Insurance Options for 2017 R6 (Fully understanding dilemma)

    Quote Originally Posted by kaladui View Post
    state farm guy blew my mind yesterday. standalone for the r6 for me would be $8k plus. the 2017 fz10 he said would be $2,670. the system is completely messed. the fz10 is just as, if not more powerful than the r6 and has the same if not worse risk. how is there a 6000 dollar difference in premium regardless of insurance experience. underwriters need to rethink things
    .

    .

    And THAT is why my next bike will be a naked. Ofcourse that TORQUE also helps

  16. #36
    kaladui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    South West Ontario
    Posts
    25

    Re: Help with Insurance Options for 2017 R6 (Fully understanding dilemma)

    Quote Originally Posted by Xrsman View Post
    The FZ10 would smoke the r6, just saying. It's the R1 motor just geared didferently.

    My FZ-09 would too, to 100 mph that is. I had a 2015 cbr600rr before I bought my 2016 FZ-09. The cbr can't hold a candle to the fz. It's seriously that much quicker. I honestly thought something was wrong with my CBR after riding it a month after I bought the FZ. Nothing was, it's just how they are. Top end on the FZ is around 230, where as the r6 will be 250. Not much difference, but the R6 is the least comfortable super sport made, and the FZ is upright and comfortable to ride all day.

    Obviously if you're set on the R6 you'll find this out for yourself. I was the same way with my CBR, I had to have it. It was a nice bike, great in the twisties, but wasn't comfortable in any sense of the word!

    Secondly, don't finance it. Don't put collision on it either. Save yourself thousands of dollars.

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    All true. Although for a bike that price I think collision is wise. its also piece of mind too. You ride more comfortable. its too bad I dont have one to sit on. I'm hoping to hit a ride day and catch one to try out.
    "Burn rubber, not your soul"

  17. #37
    kaladui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    South West Ontario
    Posts
    25

    Re: Help with Insurance Options for 2017 R6 (Fully understanding dilemma)

    Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    The system is based on past experiences. People that ride like retards and crash primarily buy RR bikes and avoid the nakeds. People that buy nakeds are normally care less about showing off and more about riding. Obviously there are exceptions, but based on the rates, my perceptions play out statistically. They look much less at the potential risk of a bike than they do the past risk from similar bikes. For a long time (I don't think it's true anymore), insurance on fast sport touring bikes like the blackbird and ZX14 was ridiculously cheap. Don't hate the system, learn how to use it to your advantage.

    The other possibility is that the FZ10 is underpriced this year because they don't realize the risk yet and after a year of paying claims it will jump to bend over prices.
    Ducati supersport also has low rating for the type of bike it is.
    "Burn rubber, not your soul"

  18. #38
    kaladui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    South West Ontario
    Posts
    25

    Re: Help with Insurance Options for 2017 R6 (Fully understanding dilemma)

    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa View Post
    .

    .

    And THAT is why my next bike will be a naked. Ofcourse that TORQUE also helps
    True. I was gonna suck it up and go naked. but I cant lie. looks mean something to me. growing up watching motogp. I always wanted to own a motogp style bike. and the nakeds just aint it. great rides tho.
    "Burn rubber, not your soul"

  19. #39

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    177

    Re: Help with Insurance Options for 2017 R6 (Fully understanding dilemma)

    how about a street triple 675 or the new 2017 street triple 765(more cc and new electronic) the older version might go on sale.

  20. #40
    kaladui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    South West Ontario
    Posts
    25

    Re: Help with Insurance Options for 2017 R6 (Fully understanding dilemma)

    Quote Originally Posted by justride View Post
    how about a street triple 675 or the new 2017 street triple 765(more cc and new electronic) the older version might go on sale.
    never ridden triumph before. the 765 has a nice dash. those bug eyes tho ... i was in Honda today inquiring about the CBR650F... such a beautiful bike in the perfect sweet spot in all aspects. I almost regret not buying it after test riding it. cause now he said they are all sold out. only ones available are in ottawa and SS Marie. not happening. that was one of my fav affordable alternates.
    "Burn rubber, not your soul"

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •