Sending a Deposit for a Kijiji bike? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sending a Deposit for a Kijiji bike?

If you had hammered out a deal before ever seeing the bike and you consider it to be a done deal I think you should be willing to send a deposit. (Unless of course after agreeing to the price you told him that you're on your way and you'll be there shortly.)

If you expect the seller to hold the bike for you, a deposit is reasonable.

Who would actually send money to a stranger?.

Well, sometimes that's inevitable if you buy something that can be shipped but might be uneconomical to drive and pickup in person.

I bought a fast charger for our new car from a guy out near London a few weeks ago, and yes, I did effectively "send money to a stranger" so that he would ship it to me...but like my last response I did due dilligence first to make sure I knew the guy was legit - I got his address, I got his cellphone number (and exchanged texts and a phone call with him first) and got an overall safe vibe. I sent the money, he shipped the charger, we are all good.

But yes there's some risk for sure anytime you're sending money into the ether, but sometimes it's unavoidable if you want to buy things online...but one can do due dilligence first to reduce the risk.

But I still wouldn't do it sight-unseen for a vehicle - too many possible situations where you get there to finally set eyes on the car/bike/whatever and it's not as advertised, then good luck getting your money back. Happened to me lots of times over the years - In the last 5 years I've went to look at motorcycles and jet skis that were advertised as creampuffs that turned out to be enormous turds when I actually got there.

SV650 ... for crying out loud, just pick a different one. Not like you are buying a rare bike. Go see it first!

if you saw it, and you're BUYING it, sending deposit is not something to be scared of. You're still sending a contract about the terms of accepting your deposit. Mind you, it's a deposit - if you back out, it's gone. That is somehow never understood these days.

I agree with the guy, if you want it safetied, then sure, give him the 100 towards the sale for him to take the time to take it there, wait for it to be done, and ride back. and put the 100 towards the purchase price.

You make sure that if he says it'll pass, he's responsible for any repairs to make it certifiable. that has to be build into the sale contract.

If you dont' know how to properly write one, probably best to just do everything in person on the spot each time.

I couldn't do it, just because the other 9 times of 10 it's still a scam.

My guess is the REAL story is this:

You're a random kijiji guy as far as the seller is concerned, and you've asked him to safety the bike so that you can make a single trip and buy it on the spot from him. Well, for anyone who has ever sold ANYTHING on kijiji, you know the site is full of flakes and losers..... so, if he's gonna do you the favour of getting a safety done ahead of you even seeing the bike, then yeah you should fork over the $100.

To me this is just bizarre. Its an SV. And its $100. And you live 30 minutes from Toronto. Pack the money into your purse, put on your lipstick, and go buy the fkin bike.

When I was selling my bike I had one guy set up a time to come look at the bike the next day and got a call from another person who was super interested in the bike and said he would buy it for asking price. I told him if he was serious, send me $500 and I'd tell the guy I set up a time with that the bike was now sold. So he sent me money, and the next day came by and bought. Nothing sketchy. Just from a sellers perspective, I needed to have a reason to turn down another potential sale.

Totally OK. If you want the seller to hold the bike until you see it, $100.00 is nothing. I probably wouldn't hold it for $100.00 as is not enough. If you are serious, make an effort to see the bike before someone else does; normally setting up an appointment within a day is enough for them to schedule beyond your availability, otherwise, pay the fee.

seriously...it's a hundred dollars. A hundred dollars doesn't get you **** these days...maybe a diseased hooker.

Don't do it. He's out the money if you don't buy (and no one else buys in a month), but YOU'RE out the money if he's a scammer.

Did he advertise it as safetied? Then it's his problem to get it safetied, not yours.

"Just struck a deal"

With no deposit there is no deal. If someone else shows up with cash before you get there you ain't gettin that bike.

Have you gone to get the bike yet?

how does one strike a deal without seeing the bike?

I've sold many bikes on Kijiji and have always refused to make a deal over email or phone. For the ones that left deposits in person it was never less than 20%, $100 doesn't go very far these days

how does one strike a deal without seeing the bike?

I've sold many bikes on Kijiji and have always refused to make a deal over email or phone. For the ones that left deposits in person it was never less than 20%, $100 doesn't go very far these days

I've done it for bikes that aren't local.

Indianapolis, St Paul, Atlanta and Cleveland.

When I was selling my bike I had one guy set up a time to come look at the bike the next day and got a call from another person who was super interested in the bike and said he would buy it for asking price. I told him if he was serious, send me $500 and I'd tell the guy I set up a time with that the bike was now sold. So he sent me money, and the next day came by and bought. Nothing sketchy. Just from a sellers perspective, I needed to have a reason to turn down another potential sale.

I would recommend that nobody do that. That's a lot of blind trust.
Nothing sketchy because you are not a crook obviously... However, sending 500 bucks after one phone call, never seeing the bike or the owner, is asking for trouble.

Last edited:
First, let me educate you. You haven't "struck a deal" unless:
1. you have seen the bike in person, (so the seller knows your a real buyer);
2. you have decided to forego, seeing the bike, and purchase sight unseen, (at which point you should be willing to place down a deposit of at LEAST 20%, again to v=confirm to the seller your a legit buyer);

Just saying via Kijiji, "yep I want the bike and will pay asking for it", does NOT a deal make.

As has been stated if Toronto, is too far for you to travel to get the bike, (come actually see it), then as a seller, I would consider the bike for sale, until such time as you place a deposit, (substantial enough to make it worth my while to go get the bike safetied, yes the safety, depending on where he gets it done could run $60 - 100, BUT there is also his/her time and effort to get the bike to the shop etc).

Until, then the is No "struck a deal". The bike would still be listed and whoever shows up with cash and a trailer, takes the bike. If the bike was listed as certified, then yes it is the seller's responsibility to have it done BEFORE you show up to collect the bike, But that doesn't preclude asking for a deposit, (NOT to pay for the safety, but rather to show your a serious buyer).

Dealerships, lists bikes sold certified, BUT they don't do the safety, BEFORE a potential buyer ponies up a deposit, so why would you expect this seller to do any differently?

I've done it for bikes that aren't local.

Indianapolis, St Paul, Atlanta and Cleveland.

ok, I can see that being reasonable in this scenario, but not when the bike is 50km away

Go see the bike, bring 100 cash and get a receipt (if he needs e-transfer, do it right then instead of cash). This is not rocket science and it is not like it is a long distance. You just end up making the trip twice, once to check it out and leave the deposit, once to pay up and take it home.

Way to easy to be scammed the way the seller proposed.

Looks like "struck a deal" is a big deal. An agreement as to price can also be considered striking a deal. Raked over coals for misuse of language.:eek:

4UtpnPs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom