Sending a Deposit for a Kijiji bike? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sending a Deposit for a Kijiji bike?

Post #38 made me think a little bit....as some of you may know I suck with any of this newfangled tech stuff-- but would an on the spot etransfer be preferable over cash? I mean, there will be an email trail, and no fear of funny munny, but is there a way to get scammed (yet)?

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Post #38 made me think a little bit....as some of you may know I suck with any of this newfangled tech stuff-- but would an on the spot etransfer be preferable over cash? I mean, there will be an email trail, and no fear of funny munny, but is there a way to get scammed (yet)?

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Yes, and on the spot e-transfer is possible but with the caveat that the email usually takes a bit to actually send to the receiver. This depends on the bank it's sent from. Some take a few minutes. Some take an hour.

Once the sender emails it from his online bank account, the money is withdrawn from the account and held in limbo until the receiver manually accepts the email transfer in to his bank via online banking.

They're safe to receive (assuming someone didn't send you some data harvesting link haha) and you don't have to give any personal info or any specific email.

I've gone from TO to KW to check out a bike and buy it. Bike ended up not being close to as stated, so didn't buy it. Cost me about $50-80 in gas for the truck. Gone as far as TO to Goderich to check out a bike with cash and a truck. That time it was mostly as stated and bought it. Gotta pay to play.

Why is everyone just assuming it's a personal choice not to go see the bike? Maybe he doesn't have a car. Trains and buses from Brampton to Toronto and back would be a stupid hurdle outside of rush hour.

Why is everyone just assuming it's a personal choice not to go see the bike? Maybe he doesn't have a car. Trains and buses from Brampton to Toronto and back would be a stupid hurdle outside of rush hour.

Personally, I wouldn't let something like not owning a car stop me. Asking a friend, family member or renting a car are all options. After all, he's gonna have to pick it up at some point unless the owner agrees to deliver. Sight un-seen is just too much risk. Even if the seller is trustworthy with the deposit the bike might not be what the buyer expected.

There are far too many scammers out there.
Pay cash at pickup. If the seller balks, move on.
Burlington to Toronto is not exactly the end of the world.
Did you offer to give a deposit AFTER you had seen the bike?
The seller may be legit but at the same time you may be sucker #50 he has asked $100 from.
The online sales sites don't check out those posting ads.
He says he lives in Toronto. He may live in Thunder Bay

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom