Sending a Deposit for a Kijiji bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sending a Deposit for a Kijiji bike?

Zx Damien

Just struck a deal on Kijiji for an sv650 and this guy wants 100 over e transfer as a deposit to make sure im serious. Told him no, seems sketchy to me, and now the sales off.

Is it normal to send a deposit for a Kijiji sale? What do u guys think?

Unless is a family affair I wouldn't shed $100 deposit for a bike I haven't seen or met the owner. It could be legit but today I trust no one ...

Last edited:
if the buyer(OP) was offering a deposit to guarantee a viewing, that's one thing. This case is the seller asking for one.

Honestly, I've done it over the past...but after seeing and liking the deal...

Honestly, I've done it over the past...but after seeing and liking the deal...

seeing the bike and leaving the deposit is one thing...

SCAMMER; and why would someone send a deposit sight unseen? so much wrong, engine could sound like its crushing rocks; and w/o viewing UVIP and checking for liens and VIN ownership?

Last edited:
If you've "struck a deal", then what's the issue with sending money via e-transfer?
Have you viewed the bike? Do you know where it's located? Have you seen the UVIP or any other documentation with the owners name and address to confirm he's the real owner? Do you know where to throw a brick in a situation where your $100 goes missing?

I guess it's a case-by-case judgement call on the character of the person you're buying from. I recently accepted full payment for a bike I didn't own via e-transfer on behalf of the bike owner (owner doesn't do online banking). The buyer test drove the bike with no cash in hand. They called the owner back later that day to confirm they wanted it. Then the buyer e-transfered full payment to me (was his offer to do so). Then the old owner went over to the new owners house with all the paperwork filled out and to drop off the keys. The bike actually remained at the original owners house for a few days until the new owner could pick it up.

I've sold camera lenses to people via mail and done the whole transaction over the phone. All they've seen is detailed pictures of the item and taken my word for what it is. But have also chosen to drive for an hour to meet someone and sell an item instead.

Seller is in Toronto and im in Burlington, claims if he gets it saftied for me and i change my mind hes out 100$.. too bad bc i was serious with the cash ready.

If you've "struck a deal", then what's the issue with sending money via e-transfer?
Have you viewed the bike? Do you know where it's located? Have you seen the UVIP or any other documentation with the owners name and address to confirm he's the real owner? Do you know where to throw a brick in a situation where your $100 goes missing?

I guess it's a case-by-case judgement call on the character of the person you're buying from. I recently accepted full payment for a bike I didn't own via e-transfer on behalf of the bike owner (owner doesn't do online banking). The buyer test drove the bike with no cash in hand. They called the owner back later that day to confirm they wanted it. Then the buyer e-transfered full payment to me (was his offer to do so). Then the old owner went over to the new owners house with all the paperwork filled out and to drop off the keys. The bike actually remained at the original owners house for a few days until the new owner could pick it up.

I've sold camera lenses to people via mail and done the whole transaction over the phone. All they've seen is detailed pictures of the item and taken my word for what it is. But have also chosen to drive for an hour to meet someone and sell an item instead.

"where to throw a brick" -like, lmao.

Not really. He's only out the safety cost(varies) if it doesn't sell in 36 days from the safety date. Just get the safety done after seeing the bike and a deal is struck depending on a successful safety. Or do the safety yourself.

Totally OK. If you want the seller to hold the bike until you see it, $100.00 is nothing. I probably wouldn't hold it for $100.00 as is not enough. If you are serious, make an effort to see the bike before someone else does; normally setting up an appointment within a day is enough for them to schedule beyond your availability, otherwise, pay the fee.

Reading more, you want someone to certify the bike for you, with only a Kijiji response to his add - not going to happen - oh, and how were you planning on paying for it, cheque ...

If you were serious with the cash, then you'd go and view the bike and use the lack of safety a negotiating tool, assuming you're happy with the condition. Toronto isn't that far. It's like 35-40 mins tops from Burlington.

I've gone from Hamilton to Sudbury area on two separate occasions to buy bikes. No one is going to bring it to your door unless you've already paid for it.

If they're serious about selling it, they'd get the safety done to make it as easy for the buyer as possible. They're good for 30 or 36 days...something like that?

If I'm the seller in this situation then yeah I want something from you. If you can't take the time to go see the bike and do a handshake deal with the guy then nothing wrong with asking for $100 for him to take the time and get the bike to a shop and get the safety done.

If all you can offer is a response through Kijiji that you want to buy the bike then I wouldn't commit the bike to you or do any work by taking and getting it safetied. People flake out all the time on Kijiji saying they will buy something but never show up.

Just choose how you're comfortable showing him your committed. Either your time or money should work.

Just find out where the safety is being done and call the Bike shop and pay for the safety in advance...no fuss no muss. If the place is reputable they do this all the time and no one is out money.

If the bike was hours away I could kind of understand asking for a deposit but I'd sure as hell want to make sure the person is real before just sending money into the ether - get the guys phone numbers (home and cell), email addresses (his real one, not the Kijiji email relay address), his physical address, and then physically call and talk to the seller.

If they're evasive on any of the above, run away - it's probably a scam.

That said, unless you're asking him to hold it for you for several days....go and physically see the bike, bring the deposit, and if you like what you see take photos and get a piece of paper confirming the receipt.

If he's too impatient to even hold the bike for you for a few hours without a deposit, well, personally, I'd move on.

I would never ask for a deposit sight unseen. That's just madness. Who would actually send money to a stranger? It would have to be an extraordinary circumstance.
As the seller, I would simply employ a first-come-first-served policy. I might hold it for the day while you make your way over but otherwise there's no deal to speak of.

Back
Top Bottom