Insurance Brackets | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance Brackets

bigpoppa

There is always confusion with motorcycle insurance, disconnect between riders and the often confused/uninformed underwriters/brokers of policies.
(for instance all state thinking R3 is a sport bike, or aviva willing to insure me on an Er6n but not the Ninja 650(They think its a SS) even though they are IDENTICAL, one without the fairings)

I found this article on how insurance underwriters and companies perceive motorcycles in the UK where they have a 'bracket' system and found it quite telling and eye opening.

This might be something the "insiders" use when gauging potential policy holders,
so the next time you go shopping for a bike, in addition to getting quotes from brokers/underwriters BEFORE purchasing the bike, you can also consult this, so you have a better idea before going in.

https://bikerandbike.co.uk/motorcycle-insurance-groups/

For the record I think 17 is the highest/worst bracket to be in. 15 is where 600 SS tend to be. The lower the bracket on your bike, the cheaper/better it will be for insurance purposes.

Of course age, experience and record also make a big difference, but as far as the bikes are concerned this is fairly good.

Enjoy

Last edited:
On this side of the pond they go by actuarial tables. Claims against a particular model, etc.

My bike is no longer insured by my ins. co. Good thing they grandfathered me as long as I keep the same model.

Last edited:
Tables seem a little off between some competing models.

Wonder how the Street triples and Fz 09s are categorized by the Canadian underwriters and companies.

If they fall under 'sport' or not.

Back
Top Bottom