Help Diagnosing Clunking/Clicking | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help Diagnosing Clunking/Clicking

mistersouthpaw

Hey everyone, been having a new issue with my bike just as of recently and was hoping you could help diagnose the issue. The bike is an 05 EN500C LTD with about 30,000km on it. I have noticed lately that under heavy load (passenger, steep hill, hard acceleration) my bike has been making a clunking/clicking sound as the engine is engaged. At first I thought the issue was too much chain slack but have adjusted the chain to spec and the problem persists. It does not happen all the time but when it does it is usually in first gear, sometimes second, once or twice in third and have recently once noticed the sound pulling the clutch lever in as well. This had led to me to suspect that this is an issue with the clutch/transmission and another member has suggested the clutch basket may need replacing. Any suggestions as to what you think the issue might be would be greatly appreciated!

Rear wheel cush drive? Every chain driven bike I've come across has some kind of rubber blocks between the sprocket carrier and wheel. I'd be inclined to check that first.

Rear wheel cush drive? Every chain driven bike I've come across has some kind of rubber blocks between the sprocket carrier and wheel. I'd be inclined to check that first.

Matt rain and myself replaced the rear drum shoe about a month ago and they were in good shape

Sprocket looks fine. It looks like it was replaced at some point, hopefully they did the front one too.

I would check the axle nuts to make sure they are properly tightened.

Pull the cover and check the nut holding the countershaft sprocket on.
There's a stepped washer between the nut and the sprocket that's supposed to hold it in place but may not be doing its job.
If its loose, torque as per specs (sorry, don't have a number).

Matt rain and myself replaced the rear drum shoe about a month ago and they were in good shape

From your description it sounds like your clutch has a momentary slip. Of course it goes without saying the cable needs to be adjusted per spec and that includes the mechanism at the clutch if it's that type. And don't underestimate the effects a dry clutch cable will have. It should be lubed as regular maintenance.

Hey everyone, been having a new issue with my bike just as of recently and was hoping you could help diagnose the issue. The bike is an 05 EN500C LTD with about 30,000km on it. I have noticed lately that under heavy load (passenger, steep hill, hard acceleration) my bike has been making a clunking/clicking sound as the engine is engaged. At first I thought the issue was too much chain slack but have adjusted the chain to spec and the problem persists. It does not happen all the time but when it does it is usually in first gear, sometimes second, once or twice in third and have recently once noticed the sound pulling the clutch lever in as well. This had led to me to suspect that this is an issue with the clutch/transmission and another member has suggested the clutch basket may need replacing. Any suggestions as to what you think the issue might be would be greatly appreciated!

When the bike is on, is the engine always engaged?

Have you tried putting the bike in neutral and revving the bike up to see if you can replicate the noise?

Another option might be the bike up on stands and put it in gear and see if you can replicate the noise as well as pinpoint where it's coming from.

From your description it sounds like your clutch has a momentary slip. Of course it goes without saying the cable needs to be adjusted per spec and that includes the mechanism at the clutch if it's that type. And don't underestimate the effects a dry clutch cable will have. It should be lubed as regular maintenance.

That's what it feels like, a momentary slip. Cable is all freshly lubed though within the last week

When the bike is on, is the engine always engaged?

Have you tried putting the bike in neutral and revving the bike up to see if you can replicate the noise?

Another option might be the bike up on stands and put it in gear and see if you can replicate the noise as well as pinpoint where it's coming from.

I have revved it in neutral and on a stand in first but sounded fine

Pull the cover and check the nut holding the countershaft sprocket on.
There's a stepped washer between the nut and the sprocket that's supposed to hold it in place but may not be doing its job.
If its loose, torque as per specs (sorry, don't have a number).

That's no problem, I've never taken a look at the front sprocket, taking a look at my manual it shows a washer you are supposed to bend.. that's the washer you're talking about?

I don't have any personal experience with bad clutch basket but it's entirely possible that, as mentioned in original post, clutch basket problem. The drive and driven plates need a nice sliding surface on the basket fingers. If they are ridged that could easily cause your symptoms. Changing one out is not rocket science but more than some people are comfortable with, understandably.

I don't have any personal experience with bad clutch basket but it's entirely possible that, as mentioned in original post, clutch basket problem. The drive and driven plates need a nice sliding surface on the basket fingers. If they are ridged that could easily cause your symptoms. Changing one out is not rocket science but more than some people are comfortable with, understandably.

Thanks inreb, I'm fairly certain that's the issue now. Now, do I replace the whole clutch or just the basket? And thoughts on a used clutch? Found a whole assembly (used) for $30 on eBay

Thanks inreb, I'm fairly certain that's the issue now. Now, do I replace the whole clutch or just the basket? And thoughts on a used clutch? Found a whole assembly (used) for $30 on eBay

$30 includes used clutch and basket? It's worth the gamble imho. Replace as a set. Obviously carefully inspect the parts. Compare to your originals.

Back
Top Bottom