Scrubbing in tires | GTAMotorcycle.com

Scrubbing in tires

arogal

Been reading a bunch of ways ppl scrub in tires... Figure 8s in parking lots, just riding around to scrub em in, and even using sandpaper. Also read that with new technology there is no reason for the scrubbing in process anymore as the adhesive for the mould is only used on the inside/outside of sidewalls.
Just got some bridgestone s20 evos mounted and they are my first set of new tires. What do you guys normally do to scrub in your tires? When are you confident enough to start riding more aggressive with them?
Thanks

Do not use sandpaper...
Take it easy for the 1st 15-20km and you're good to go.
With today's technology things are drastically improved.

...although, this is the Internet, and you will get 100 different methods and opinions.

...try asking "how to properly break in your motor" and watch the fun begin.

Well, I see racers going out on the track for the warm up lap with the stickers still on the tire.

Old days would be to take it easy for the first 100 km and gradually leaning more and more.

I have heard the same "no Need for Scrubbing" but there is a need to get used to the change in handling from old to new, even if it is the same tire t will handle different from flattening to new round tire

Last year I puchased a set of Michelin Pilot 4's--- The have changed the compound and technology in the compound. All the reviews I found all stated there was no need for scubbing in the tires. Even so I took it easy for at least the first 60 k's.

Inside the last 12 months I've had 4 new tires between various bikes. Latest was a new rear on my VTX a month or so back.

Rode easy for the first 20K or so and then just rode as normal - no problems whatsoever and traction was exceptional.

like mentioned, will be many opinions on this
my take is it's mainly temp dependent...
once they're warmed up for a good bit the mold release compound will have dispersed

The molding process itself has changed, way less release compounds required if any. Just ride carefully for the first while and dont play GP rider until you have a few kms in and the tires up to temp and your good to go.

This is what I never understood about scrubbing tires in (also that it should be womans work) is that no matter how easy you take it for the first few kms at some point you're going to lean over real far and that will be the first time that little chickeny strip will have contacted pavement. And at that point you're presummebly loading the tire the most. AND IT HASN"T EVEN BEEN SCRUBBED DOWN THERE YET LIKE WTF.

I wash my new tires with very hot soapy dish washing liquid 2 times and rinse well.
Then take it easy for 50km.

It's the solution on the tires that's the problem.
While you ride for 50km and scrub the middle...what about the sides?
Roads can be damp still and when you go to lean it whamo...or you are not going to be ready for that bit of lost grip and whamo.

Proper mechanics will wipe the tires off with cleaners for you.
Never take new tires out on wet roads. It is just like riding on ice.

Well, I see racers going out on the track for the warm up lap with the stickers still on the tire.

Old days would be to take it easy for the first 100 km and gradually leaning more and more.

Does that cause any issues? I'm genuinely curious.

As for the OP: just ride the thing. If anyone tells you of some secret ritual they're retarded and wrong. Be gentle with the throttle and lean ins. You won't have issues crashing using all of the tire (even knee dragging) but trying to carry **** tons of speed on a fresh tire would be as bad (likely worse) as going full retard with no warmers on your first lap of the day.

I wash my new tires with very hot soapy dish washing liquid 2 times and rinse well.
Then take it easy for 50km.

It's the solution on the tires that's the problem.
While you ride for 50km and scrub the middle...what about the sides?
Roads can be damp still and when you go to lean it whamo...or you are not going to be ready for that bit of lost grip and whamo.

Proper mechanics will wipe the tires off with cleaners for you.
Never take new tires out on wet roads. It is just like riding on ice.

Ace Moto Tech in Milton mounted them for me. There is absolutely no solution I can see with the naked eye so he may of wiped them down. On the other hand, my buddies Dunlop GPR 300's seemed to be extremely shiny after they were mounted. So far so good, but ill make sure they are nice and warm before I lean her down further.

Last edited:
Sand Paper, Emery Paper. Why not? Been using emery paper for donkeys years. Need new tyres ever year. Never-the-less. 240/45 ZR 17 Pirelli Diablo Rosso II tires.

油井緋色;2490316 said:
Does that cause any issues? I'm genuinely curious....

The stickers? Assume not, cause by the time they get back to the grid the sticker is gone and they are racing.

I put on 3 or 4 (or 5 or 6) sets of new tires last year. I take off the stickers, then take it easy all the way to the end of pit out.

Just ride the thing like you normally would. I will be cautious for the first few minutes only because I have a new part on the bike, not because I'm worried about grip. At track days I put on brand new tires and head straight out. No change in my riding behaviour. In fact, I ride harder knowing I have more rubber.

Burnout to scrub in the rear. For the front I don't worry about it, because it's just the front tire.

I can't help myself, I use scotchbrite pad and go over them. Just a ritual I do, pay homage to the tire god. Happy apexes.

The stickers? Assume not, cause by the time they get back to the grid the sticker is gone and they are racing.

Plus you get rid of residue from stickers. Gummy stuff on inside of warmers is not ideal

Back
Top Bottom