Can mechanics safety their own bikes? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can mechanics safety their own bikes?

drumstyx

Just been thinking about maybe going for a mechanics license some day (y'know, second career when it's time for a change) and the thought popped into my head -- do mechanics safety their own vehicles?

Sure. It's not like they're a notary or anything

Yes, a licenced mechanic can do their own safety inspection certificates.

Key word...licenced.

Being a mechanic is a red seal trade so it takes many years of training and apprenticeship to become a licenced mechanic, at which point you can legally sign a safety certificate after the inspection.

So, unless it's a career you plan to pursue it's not really a "sounds like a fun thing to do" option. ;)

The book of inspection certs itself is also a costly investment, FWIW.

No. Conflict of interest. All it would take is one shady mechanic certify a Moto GP bike to ruin it for us posers. How many shady mechanics do you know? Now do you see the problem? Get safety check at Canadian Tire. CT is a corporation but considered human.

One caveat - the LICENCED mechanic would have to work/own a LICENCED inspection station.
The shop's owner buys the book of certificates, so a licenced mechanic working out of his house cannot.

Yes we can, and do. A safety inspection actually has nothing to do with the owner whatsoever. There is no requirement to have the bike's ownership present for a safety. We safety the bike itself and as such have to follow the same rules regardless of who actually owns the bike. Paperwork has to be the same, requirements are the same etc. This is not to say that licensed technicians won't sign a safety on a bike they intend to make safe, which by the letter of the law is a violation. But the issue is presumably the owner (the mechanic) will not call the MTO on themselves. What individual technicians will sign off on is up to them, because ultimately their hard earned license is in their hands.

As to a second career, good choice. Be warned, it can be very hard to get into a shop that is interested in making money if you are pursuing your passion for learning and expanding your horizons. The motivations you have might be different than the shop owner and different again from the service manager/shop foreman etc. But this industry can be tons of fun and there is always opportunity for growth if you are ableto apply anyof your previous career's skills simultaneously as your new found technical ones.

Yes, a licenced mechanic can do their own safety inspection certificates.

Key word...licenced.

Being a mechanic is a red seal trade so it takes many years of training and apprenticeship to become a licenced mechanic, at which point you can legally sign a safety certificate after the inspection.

So, unless it's a career you plan to pursue it's not really a "sounds like a fun thing to do" option. ;)

The book of inspection certs itself is also a costly investment, FWIW.

Ehhhh I wouldn't oversell the minimum qualifications to get the license. I've seen some pretty stupid licensed mechanics

Yes we can, and do. A safety inspection actually has nothing to do with the owner whatsoever. There is no requirement to have the bike's ownership present for a safety. We safety the bike itself and as such have to follow the same rules regardless of who actually owns the bike. Paperwork has to be the same, requirements are the same etc. This is not to say that licensed technicians won't sign a safety on a bike they intend to make safe, which by the letter of the law is a violation. But the issue is presumably the owner (the mechanic) will not call the MTO on themselves. What individual technicians will sign off on is up to them, because ultimately their hard earned license is in their hands.

As to a second career, good choice. Be warned, it can be very hard to get into a shop that is interested in making money if you are pursuing your passion for learning and expanding your horizons. The motivations you have might be different than the shop owner and different again from the service manager/shop foreman etc. But this industry can be tons of fun and there is always opportunity for growth if you are ableto apply anyof your previous career's skills simultaneously as your new found technical ones.

Good advice, however keep in mind, most motorcycle or small engine/marine techs/mechanics dont make money(unless you consider just above min wage)

A good thread on here a while ago put it perfectly,

"I have a job/career that lets me make enough money to pursue my passions, because following my passions wouldnt make me money."

Its a different story when your doing everyone elses bikes day after day it becomes a 'job' all those dreams of doing what you love go out the window, and barely making enough money to scrape by, and its not like cars, where there is work 365 days, motorcyles(atleast in canada) is a seasonal business.

One caveat - the LICENCED mechanic would have to work/own a LICENCED inspection station.
The shop's owner buys the book of certificates, so a licenced mechanic working out of his house cannot.

this

We trust cops to investigate other cops for police abuse, so why can't we trust a mechanic doing his own inspection? They will never lie or protect themselves, so why not?

Most professions are "self policing" Teachers, Doctors, Lawyers, Dentists, Veterinarians, Physiotherapist, Massage Therapists, Paralegals, etc etc etc, etc.

We trust cops to investigate other cops for police abuse, so why can't we trust a mechanic doing his own inspection? They will never lie or protect themselves, so why not?

That is a River Kwai bridge-level thread derailment

Back
Top Bottom