Rev matching... still can't get it right :( | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rev matching... still can't get it right :(

stevenleung0000

I have been riding for almost 2 years now...have put down 13000km on the bike I bought last year...
I watched a bunch of tutorial videos on youtube, and tried to do it every time I ride, but still can't get it right...
Since most of the bikes use wet clutch anyway, should I just use the slowly release clutch method...?
How much more wear and tear am I going to put on the clutch if I don't rev match...?

I have been riding for almost 2 years now...have put down 13000km on the bike I bought last year...
I watched a bunch of tutorial videos on youtube, and tried to do it every time I ride, but still can't get it right...
Since most of the bikes use wet clutch anyway, should I just use the slowly release clutch method...?
How much more wear and tear am I going to put on the clutch if I don't rev match...?

Use the sound as a gauge, i find it helpful

Try releasing the clutch at different 'sounds' (When the revs are higher, when theyre lower, when theyre in the middle) after you have blipped the throttle.

After a few tries, you'll figure it out and get it right(try on dry, clean roads, not wet or gravel riddled roads)

My throttle has 'play' so i(sometimes) have to blip twice before i release the clutch

Practice makes perfect.

Also feels REALLY good when you get it right and the bike downshifts super smooth.

Try NOT to rev match and down shift multiple shifts....just try to down shift to thenext lower gear. It also helps if you upshift at a constant RPM all the time...this way you know (audibly) where the RPM should be when you rev match to down shift.

I can do it but only once...still need to get multiple shifts right...

Note...if you accidently dump the clutch while rev matching it'll give a BIG thump to your @$$

Assuming you are braking with two fingers as you downshifting/rev matching, err on the side of too much throttle rather than too little. The brakes give you forgiveness on too much and should smooth it out.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

I can't quantify how much extra wear it will put on your clutch - but it definitely will shorten its life.

I'm sure you'll pick it up this season. You can't be riding for multiple years and tens of thousands of KMs without learning how to rev match. And if you aren't rev matching, to be quite frank, you're not riding your bike (or car for that matter) properly. Its an integral part of manually shifting gears.

Just keep at it. Don't waste your time and effort attempting to do it while also using the front brake - THAT will come later.

Assuming you are braking with two fingers as you downshifting/rev matching, err on the side of too much throttle rather than too little.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

This X 10.

I have found i use too little throttle when i try to rev match as well, and when i am more aggressive with the blip, i get it right.

When you say you can't get it right, have you figured out what exactly you're not getting right?

When you blip, do you over-rev and the bike lurches forward when you let the clutch out?
Do you under-rev and the bike engine-brakes violently when you clutch out?
Or are you finding it difficult to co-ordinate the process of clutching in-downshifting-blipping throttle-clutching out?

on my cbr250, what really helped as BigPoppa saidabove was listening to your engine. Can you tell what speed, rpm and gear you are in by listening to the engine. on the cbr getting downshifting right is a little forgiving from like 6th to 5th gear but you have more precise from 3rd to 2nd. I am not great at it but i try every chance i get- love the sound!

Your over thinking it. Forget the videos and don't focus on it. Just ride and don't force it. I find it isn't something that has to be super precise you just have to be in a rough range of where the rpm will be once you let the clutch out. Don't just dump the clutch either, release quickly but smooth.

Not just wear on the clutch, but the rear tire and chain as well. Dumping the clutch may result in loss of traction at the rear and trouble in a curve.

Not just wear on the clutch, but the rear tire and chain as well. Dumping the clutch may result in loss of traction at the rear and trouble in a curve.
This is not so if done correctly. There'll be no additional wear on drivetrain or the rear tire. There is no dumping of the clutch here. Everything is to be done smoothly.

via Tapatalk

I concur, but my reply was more to answer the question 'How much more wear and tear am I going to put on the clutch if I don't rev match...?'

I concur, but my reply was more to answer the question 'How much more wear and tear am I going to put on the clutch if I don't rev match...?'
Sorry, I missed that part.

Short answer: plenty!

via Tapatalk

You should have a pretty good idea of the RPMs in a given gear at a given speed. And you should be able to adjust the throttle and keep it steady at a given RPM.

You should have a good feel for when the clutch engages/friction point.

Think less about the mechanics.

Try gearing down while holding in the clutch, adjusting the throttle to the RPM and then letting out the clutch.

You have to do that sometimes going up a steep grade for example and the engine might be lugging etc.

But just try it on a parking lot with open space or open road with no traffic. Changing from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uhm what bike is this?

just leave that alone if you are a new rider before you end up launching yourself into the back of a car

agree with the comments about not overthinking this...after 2 years on the bike your riding should have smoothed out by now,
not just rev matching but the whole enchilada...as for clutch wear, MO is the vast majority of that happens at launch,
when you're moving a 400 lb stationary object into motion, too much slip here is where clutches die, not so much when everything is moving

OP...

you ( and I )could also wait for auto blippers to become cheaper ;)

Auto blippers, quick shifters, DCTs. No thanks to all of them. They'd completely spoil motorcycling for me.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

via Tapatalk

Auto blippers, quick shifters, DCTs. No thanks to all of them. They'd completely spoil motorcycling for me.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

via Tapatalk
Slipper clutches are quickshifters are the best **** ever

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom