starter clicks | GTAMotorcycle.com

starter clicks

inreb

Site Supporter
Starter clicks. Starter relay is good. Solenoid passes pull-in, hold and return tests. Plunger and contacts surfaces seem to look ok except lots of black. Battery cables look solid. Battery at 12.94v. Any ideas before I double check everything?:cool: Bike runs fine when push started. It's a Harley if that matters.

A Buell isn't really a Harley

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Voltage drop both poles from battery to starter. If under a couple hundred mV, circuits are fine and may be starter.. if you read any significant voltage you need to find the bad wire/connection.

Also, verify 12V on the S wire.

One of you is a big help. The other needs to clean his garage out for extracircular activities.(uses Harley part numbers for what I'm doing, it's a Harley)

Forgot to mention, you'll be reading those voltages I mentioned while cranking ;)

Edit: or in this case, clicking lol

Last edited:
It's not cranking. If it was cranking............

You're older than us, we should be asking you for help

On my sportster, I had the ground cable separate just under the insulation - at the end that bolts to the starter. It was flakey for a while and I thought that the battery was poor. Eventually broke off (but looked ok and couldn't start. The lug-end is soldered to the stranded cable - any excess solder that wicks up the cable makes it fragile...

Not this this is your problem.

On my sportster, I had the ground cable separate just under the insulation - at the end that bolts to the starter. It was flakey for a while and I thought that the battery was poor. Eventually broke off (but looked ok and couldn't start. The lug-end is soldered to the stranded cable - any excess solder that wicks up the cable makes it fragile...

Not this this is your problem.

Thanks, I'll look after supper.

One of you is a big help. The other needs to clean his garage out for extracircular activities.(uses Harley part numbers for what I'm doing, it's a Harley)
Wtf are "extracircular" activities? ?

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Battery is 12.94 at rest or loaded? I have seen batteries that look fine open circuit and completely fail under load. Find someone with a battery tester to check easily (basically a combined volt meter and electric heater). You can borrow mine if you want, I am in north GTA.

What's the voltage at the starter terminal when you hit the starter?

You may have a drop between the battery and starter; frayed/broken wire, bad starter relay, loose connection etc.

What does the battery terminal voltage do when you hit the starter? 12.9V no load, starter but pressed == __._V?

Last time I rode the bike I had to get a friendly bump start from a biker brethren, unpatched. I just assumed it was the solenoid so picked up rebuild kit and gaskets. The bike is a project right now so there will not be any punching of starter buttons. Neil V. came over, we did a bench test. Starter motor and solenoid check out fine. 99.9% He gave me instructions of what to check as the bike comes together. Anyway, now I know what HD engineering looks like inside. It's as you would imagine. I appreciate everybody's input. THX.

Did you mean cliques?

thats a good one

Back
Top Bottom