Help a touring newbie out | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help a touring newbie out

Paulee

Hey guys,

So towards the end of the month Il be taking a train from Toronto to Riviere Du Loup to pick up a bike and then be riding it back to Toronto. I plan to stay one night in Montreal and then head back to Toronto. Is there anything cool or any places I should stop on my way back from Riviere du loup to Toronto?

What is the most scenic route?

Any info is much appreciated!

Thanks

I'm sure you will be eager to get home after getting a new bike so I wouldn't suggest a complicated route.
Also not the best idea in case there are mechanical issues.

Once you cross into Ontario, simply take hwy 2 (starts in Lancaster) instead of 401. If at any time you want to go faster, you can get back on 401 in a jiffy.

Most scenic? Take a detour through the US. New Hampshire, Vermont, upstate New York.

Not much to see on the Canadian side.

Most scenic? Take a detour through the US. New Hampshire, Vermont, upstate New York.

Agree. For a shakedown ride, staying close to the 401 is a good idea. Roads like hwy 2 (meh) or Lakeshore road from port hope to newcastle (better). Until I trust a bike, I don't take it far from places where I can get help.

If it were me, I'd simply do it all in one shot and skip the night in Montreal. But that's me and I like long rides. Maybe you're hoping to stop in one of Montreal's excellent Gentleman's Clubs, and who could blame you? Since it is your first ride on the bike (and I'm assuming it is not new but new to you) I would stick to the highway the whole way home. Even if a bike seems to be in excellent shape and passed the certification with flying colours, you just never know until you've had it a while. You'd hate to take a detour into the mountains or a sparsely traveled area and have a break down. Stay close to the highways where obtaining roadside service etc is quick and easy. Once you get the bike home and it proves to be as good as the seller says it was, plan as many trips as you like. The Outaouais region of Quebec is supposed to be beautiful and have great riding. If you plan it right, you can stay in Ottawa (english speaking hotels etc) and plan different day loops into the region.

Also, knowing what kind of bike you are buying would help as to what the best advice is. If you are buying a Panigale obviously booking it straight home is not the best advice, but if you're buying an ST1300 it will be a fairly comfortable trip!

or ...

Head on up to Mt. Tremblant after staying close to the St. Lawrence on 138 & 132, through Ottawa onto #7 and either branch down through Bancroft on 115, or grab 60 and come down 35 at Huntsville. All well travelled. If you stay south from Montreal, lots of nice back roads in the Kingston area up to Bancroft/Peterborough, but that takes you onto some less traveled pavement. Either route will add significant time to your voyage.

As mentioned previously, Kingston to NewCastle via #2 and picton ferry is always a nice run and a break from the 400-series.

Last edited:
The two best rides in Eastern Ontario IMO are the Calibogie loop just north of Ottawa. Take Hwy.508 from Hwy. 17 north of Arnprior.
The second is the Perth Rd. from Perth to Kingston. The two rides connect via Hwy. 511.
Both will take you out of your way of course.

Last edited:
keep your head on swivel for the fuss. the only thing french cops love more than their speed traps. is out of province vehicle caught in said traps.:bs:
that assuming of course you are riding with an out of province tag.

agree, while I love la belle province, that stretch of highway from Quebec to west of MTL
is truly awful for traffic, and construction every summer, stop and go on a new bike is not fun

I'd be going down into Maine and west to thousand islands
back into Ontario east of Kingston then 401 or hwy 2

Personally, I'd trailer it. It's not set up for you, and you don't know it's quirks and issues yet.

At the very least have something to adjust the controls, and take it for a shakedown run in a parking lot.

Might also be a good time for CAA Plus.

I'm in the trailering camp, given the uncertainty around the bike's level of repair and maintenance. But if you insist on riding it home, the south shore of the St. Lawrence river is a bore. North shore definitely mode scenic. Take the ferry from Riviere du Loup to St-Simeon and come back thru the Charlevoix region, hilly and scenic. Then stick to hwy 40 from Quebec City to Trois-Rivieres, then go slightly north thru the Lanaudiere region, passing north of Montreal and take back roads to connect with Arnprior and the Calabogie run someone else suggested above. And CAA, definitely.

Back
Top Bottom