Ktm rc390 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ktm rc390

Ethereal

Who has one/has ridden one and your thoughts? I have been looking at bikes for awhile now and insurance is what will have the final say. I am a M2 class rider and have completed the the M1X course. I have lots of riding experience but not with a licence/insurance(meaning no experience in the eyes of the insurer). My back up choice has come down to a KTM RC390. Will cost me $75/month and looks like fun. Would love to hear from others that have fist hand experienced this bike. When I get to a pc I will link my introduce yourself for those looking at my background and what I am into.

New to Sport bikes and this site

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=200824

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

They are very nice bikes, but it is an expensive choice for a first bike. Like all Euro bikes, they have a cost premium that seems to come with all Euro bikes. I'm not saying that it isn't worth the premium, but being new to street riding are you going to really know if it is slightly better than the Japanese competition? Secondly, there are fewer shops to service it/obtain parts and parts will be slightly more expensive. If I were in your shoes I would take a look at a gently used Ninja 300 or CBR 300. There is a reason why so many choose them for their first bike. They are cheap, reliable, easy to repair and they are very good motorcycles. There may also be a difference in the cost of insurance for a 300 vs a 390, but I'm not sure. Remember, this is going to be your first street bike, not your last. No sense blowing the bank on the best slow bike out there, it's like buying a fully loaded Yaris RS. Yes, it might be faster than a Nissan Mircra or a Chevy Spark, but you're still driving a Yaris. Just my 2 cents, probably not worth even that much. ;)

I have not ridden one

I just dont buy things made in india(unless its software)

I would love to have an rc390, as a second bike. If I only had one street bike, it'd be the ninja 300 or yamaha r3.
Now ktm dirtbikes are a different story...I'll take one of each please.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Servicing is not an issue. I am fully equipped for that. My choice for the rc over the others has to do with rider position in the cock pit. The others just seemed to upright. This may be my first bike but I am also not looking to ever sell it. Going to keep it around as a transition bike down the road when changing bikes to carry over the insurance. They all price the same for insurance from what I was quoted. But I do like the r3 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

150/60 I think. Small bike tires

150/60 I think. Small bike tires

Altho motorcycle history is yet to be written I believe you're getting in at a good time. Previous generations of superbike champions the world over including in some of the more stable communist countries would have killed for 150/60's in any compound. I believe you've got the opposite of a white people problem right there. We don't get a lot of those around here any more.

That's garbage. You can't lean a 150 much. Sure communists on vespas might be jealous.

Go and find footage of older MotoGP 250cc and 500cc races and tell me you can't lean a 150 tire much! If you are riding a modern MotoGP bike or even a race replica SS bike you need a wider tire to handle the insane power produced. Otherwise most modern street bikes have tires much wider than is actually necessary, they are simply put on the bike because of style. The manufacturers design bikes to sell. If putting a Unicorn horn on it would help sell bikes they'd do it. Many street bike rides want big, fat rear tires because it looks really sporty so the manufacturers put big fat rear tires on their bikes. Chances are you would not find the limits of a smaller tire while street riding at anything near legal speed limits. The only thing you would notice was the money you saved when it came time to replace said smaller tire.

I can lay my Dh bike right over in a parking lot. At the low speeds you do not get that centrifugal push into the pavement. All bikes can be leaned over but they will all have different limits and feel

Go and find footage of older MotoGP 250cc and 500cc races and tell me you can't lean a 150 tire much! If you are riding a modern MotoGP bike or even a race replica SS bike you need a wider tire to handle the insane power produced. Otherwise most modern street bikes have tires much wider than is actually necessary, they are simply put on the bike because of style. The manufacturers design bikes to sell. If putting a Unicorn horn on it would help sell bikes they'd do it. Many street bike rides want big, fat rear tires because it looks really sporty so the manufacturers put big fat rear tires on their bikes. Chances are you would not find the limits of a smaller tire while street riding at anything near legal speed limits. The only thing you would notice was the money you saved when it came time to replace said smaller tire.
You must be a cruiser rider. "Legal speed limit"... lol. Sure you might survive on a 150, but a nice 180 tire is way safer

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

You must be a cruiser rider. "Legal speed limit"... lol. Sure you might survive on a 150, but a nice 180 tire is way safer

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

A 180 tire would slow a rc390 down.
You seem to operating under the assumption that you run the largest tire you can, where as the opposite is true. You want to run the SMALLEST tire you can get away with. Tires eat horse power, the bigger the tire the more power they eat.

A 180 tire would slow a rc390 down.
You seem to operating under the assumption that you run the largest tire you can, where as the opposite is true. You want to run the SMALLEST tire you can get away with. Tires eat horse power, the bigger the tire the more power they eat.

Anybody running a 180 on a KTM390 would be doing it with a custom wheel and swing arm set up. That right there indicates they know a lot more about about engineering than any old keyboarder. I would put my trust into actual results until proven otherwise.

Well this topic got off track fast lol

I guess you are new here .... sadly, that's the way it goes. Read up, and soon you will know whose posts to skip and whose not ... a hint, based on this thread, would be any posts with a leading question regarding a tire sized, indicating 180 rear is a must ... LOL .... you really think that KTM, a company with a lot of racing pedigree will put a tire size on their bike which doesn't allow it to ride the bike to its full potential if you, the rider, can? I guess the same people would prefer 180 with 2" chicken strips, rather than 160 used all the way to the edge ..... and look at those slow Moto3 bikes, eh?

But this site is definitely useful if you need to know when is Rottela on sale at CT ... you know. I guess that's what matters first and foremost. Don't overpay 5$ for your oil, you know?

Some people insist on crayoning outside the lines I guess. Apparently that's applauded in the post modern world the millenials insist on ramming down everybody's throat.

Well this topic got off track fast lol

Stay on the track bud, no matter your tire width. Some girls are gonna laugh, at least keep the horsepower.

GTAM= Good Threads Are Molested Dot Com

Back
Top Bottom