Bell Helmets - how good? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bell Helmets - how good?

smudger

Not sure which area to post this in so as I only ride on the track I thought I'd put it in here.

Does anyone have experience of using the newer Bell helmets namely the Bell Star ($650) or the Bell Qualifier DX ($350)?
The Star is DOT & SNELL approved while the Qualifier DX is DOT & ECE approved.
I'm looking at a new helmet to go alongside my 4 year old Scorpion EXO (bought on sale for $229) & I really like the Isle of Man graphics on these 2 helmets by Bell but there is not many reviews out there.
The Qualifier (despite its name) seems to be targeted more at touring than track riding but wondered if anyone has any experience with Bell helmets.
I know there is a Arai Corsair X Isle of Man special edition but its out of my budget at $1,250.

Thanks, Smudger

I've raced with both the RS-1 and Vortex(which i presume is rebranded as the qualifier). Noticeable difference between the two regarding air flow. So on a hot or foggy day i actually hated wearing the Vortex. Most trackday organizers look for the snell or ece approval.

I had the vortex for 5 yrs. Good helmet for the price. I am looking at the Star for a replacement. Love the transition visor

My teammate bought a Vortex and complained that it was loud as hell and didn't flow anywhere near as much air as his Scorpion.
Block 2 vents at back

If your going to buy a Bell, make sure you check what Royal Distributing has. I bought a Star from them a couple of weeks ago for under $400 taxes in.

I have had a couple of Bell's, no complaints.

I ran one for years,, yes they are bit noiser over my Shoei. But with ear plugs anyway it was fine. Fit was like the old Shoei. Shoei changed their shells and I found the small was too close to the face for my liking. The Bell was okay,, too much air flow I don't like,, thought it was just right. I'd buy another

Time to do your homework.

The Bell Qualifier and Vortex are two different helmets. Both are poly shells, but the Vortex is Snell approved. The Qualifier is one of the cheapest offerings from Bell. DOT and ECE rated, it can be had for about $150 locally. I would avoid; you can do better. Royal Distributing offers a MIPS version (I won't explain here, follow the link: https://www.bellhelmets.com/en_ca/mips/) of the Qualifier for $360, still not Snell approved, but this one includes the Transitions visor.

The Bell Star is the one you want for track use. The Star actually comes in three flavours: Star, Race Star, and Pro Star, each one more expensive than the last. Composite shell, Snell rated. Royal has an incredible deal on the Star for a limited time. $299 for solids, $339 for graphics. Compare with Revzilla at $449/$499USD. The only thing I don't like about the Star line is that the shells are physically larger than just about any other lid out there.

Do your research, try different makes and models. If you're set on Bell, don't even think about anything less than the Star.

Do your research, try different makes and models. If you're set on Bell, don't even think about anything less than the Star.

I have an RS-1 and Vortex. The Vortex I'm not a huge fan of, the RS-1 has been great though. Never owned a Star though.

I have had a hjc and now a bell the bell has more wind noise and like another friend said on his bell helmet when you crack open the visor to the first slot it opens too far

Thanks everyone.
All good advice.
I'll have to check out Royal as the Bell Star 2016 is $600 at Fortnine.
Smudger

No tax tent sale April 20-30 2017. Bell Star is 299 black, 339 colours.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I have a RS-1 and love it. Used it on track once but due to sizing it was not ideal (it's loosened over time). Properly fitted, I'm sure it would be fine. The RS-1 was replaced with the new Star lineup. Star is definitely the way to go for track. The other helmets mentioned are low-end street lids.

No tax tent sale April 20-30 2017. Bell Star is 299 black, 339 colours.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Checked them out today, unfortunately not super impressed. Good news is this is the current 2016 model and they have three (at least) colourways, including the RSD one that I would personally buy.

Some downsides though. Visor is either closed, cracked, or wide open, there is no inbetween. Also, there are no speaker pockets.

Price is good though...

Back
Top Bottom