Is my bike a bad choice for a track day. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is my bike a bad choice for a track day.

Knight

Ok so I have a 1990 honda VTR 250 I won't have race oriented tires. it runs very good I'm just not sure if it may be a bad idea since it's 27 years old. but I don't care if it's not 600 fast, better to start slow more power won't make you fast through the corners
I know I need a full suit when can I get a full outfit that's not big $$$ I don't mind used I want to try a tack day once.

I will trailer it to a track (still need a trailer hitch for my car) I have read all the things to do to the bike before a track day I just want to find my limits I know the bike will exceed mine.

DSC_0085_zpsmohqesoq.jpg

Nothing wrong with that bike. I did track days on a CBR125.

My only advice is to start in the slower groups and work your way up to your comfort zone.

Last edited:
Ok so I have a 1990 honda VTR 250 I won't have race oriented tires. it runs very good I'm just not sure if it may be a bad idea since it's 27 years old. but I don't care if it's not 600 fast, better to start slow more power won't make you fast through the corners
I know I need a full suit when can I get a full outfit that's not big $$$ I don't mind used I want to try a tack day once.

I will trailer it to a track (still need a trailer hitch for my car) I have read all the things to do to the bike before a track day I just want to find my limits I know the bike will exceed mine.

DSC_0085_zpsmohqesoq.jpg

That's actually a good looking steed. In fact I like the whole picture. Good call on the suit, that's #1. What about the armour? Going with shiny? Knight in shining armour! Do it man.

Make sure the fenders don't fall off.

via Tapatalk

As long as you can get parts for it if you wipe out I see no reason why not.

Absolutely you can track it. Just make sure it is in good mechanical condition and fill your rad with water. Don't need special tires as long as your rubber is in good shape and aren't too worn. Check your brakes too.

The school recommendation is also a good option. Either FAST, Racer5 or Pro6 as they now do lessons.

not starting on a 600 is actually a good idea. Switch out the coolant, fresh tires as others have said, some quality track gear and you are ready to ride. Looks like it would be a lot of fun.

well thanks guys for all the input. I'm not as bothered now. getting replacement body panels arn't much of a issue other then they will cost almost as much as what I bought the bike for lol for a complete set. I like the fast course other then it's in the US. if my insurance company will give a discount for taking one of those courses then It will make it more worth while

Ummm FAST is at Shannonville, Ontario. The other choice is www.racer5.ca and they operate at various tracks in Ontario.

There's no benefit to your insurance rates. But there is a big benefit in that you will learn a lot and have a good time doing it!

There's no benefit to your insurance rates. But there is a big benefit in that you will learn a lot and have a good time doing it!

In fact most insurance companies if they find out you are doing a track day with your insured bike they will un-insure you. As it was explained to me you (as the insured) can't sign away your insurance so if you use your insured bike at the track the insurance company is still on the hook if you cause damage to someone else.

The insurance companies don't see track based training as a good thing towards our road riding IMO. Which is really the opposite, taking FAST helped my road riding lots and helped me get out of some situations on the road.

Jeff

I can't say I've heard of this, or had any issue with it (state farm, allstate). I actually go the other way and get them to insure a track bike once a year for road use. Both were aware it was used on the track and neither had an issue. Other companies/agents may differ.

In fact most insurance companies if they find out you are doing a track day with your insured bike they will un-insure you. As it was explained to me you (as the insured) can't sign away your insurance so if you use your insured bike at the track the insurance company is still on the hook if you cause damage to someone else.

The insurance companies don't see track based training as a good thing towards our road riding IMO. Which is really the opposite, taking FAST helped my road riding lots and helped me get out of some situations on the road.

Jeff

so what's a good price for a used suit is $100 a unrealistic figure.
Ilooked at alpinestars chart it looks like I'm a size 44 or 46

That would be unrealistic, or at least a suit at that price would have been used pretty hard. A* is a decent brand, and you will typically spend a bit more for it. Consider the racer5 used suits (talk to fawaz). As a reference, I spent $400 on my first used A* suit. Spend as much as you can reasonably afford on a suit and protection gear. If you fall off at the track you will be thankful for it. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure in this case. Blowing a seam is not worth saving a few bucks.

thanks I just seen suit prices all over the board i'm looking in the $200 and change range. i want to try a track day and if I get into it then I'll buy a better suit later on

thanks I just seen suit prices all over the board i'm looking in the $200 and change range. i want to try a track day and if I get into it then I'll buy a better suit later on
why don't you stop in at RE-GEAR (somewhere in Oshawa), its a second-hand motorcycle accessories shop. They probably got what your looking for.

Back
Top Bottom