Can't get insurance until I finish my MSF! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can't get insurance until I finish my MSF!

IbbadMurtaza

Hey guys! I live in Ajax, ON, and got my M1 in the end of April 2017. Right after that I booked my seat in the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course at Durham College and bought my gear and a Kawasaki Ninja 300, as I was getting an awesome deal.

My course is from 5-7 May 2017, which is kinda far, and since I have my M1, I want to get insurance so I can start riding. Once I finish my course, I will get my certificate, which will allow me to get my M2 from the Ministry in the end of May 2017, because I still have to wait 60 days from the day I got my M1.

The problem is that I can't find any insurance company to insure me. Every company wants the course completed or be at least 30 years of age. I would appreciate some help, as I can't find the answer in the existing forums.

Hey guys! I live in Ajax, ON, and got my M1 in the end of April 2017. Right after that I booked my seat in the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course at Durham College and bought my gear and a Kawasaki Ninja 300, as I was getting an awesome deal.

My course is from 5-7 May 2017, which is kinda far, and since I have my M1, I want to get insurance so I can start riding. Once I finish my course, I will get my certificate, which will allow me to get my M2 from the Ministry in the end of May 2017, because I still have to wait 60 days from the day I got my M1.

The problem is that I can't find any insurance company to insure me. Every company wants the course completed or be at least 30 years of age. I would appreciate some help, as I can't find the answer in the existing forums.

How'd you get your M1 at the end of April when half the month hasn't even gone by? xD

Just be patient, the bike isn't going anywhere and neither are you. Learn to walk before you run and take the course first especially if you haven't ridden before.

If you really can't wait, just find a broker that can insure you under Facility. The cost of it will most probably not be cheap for that month. Most insurance companies don't want to insure you (although technically illegal to not provide you a quote) for a good reason. I mean... They could just say they want $15k for the year.

How'd you get your M1 at the end of April when half the month hasn't even gone by? xD

Just be patient, the bike isn't going anywhere and neither are you. Learn to walk before you run and take the course first especially if you haven't ridden before.

If you really can't wait, just find a broker that can insure you under Facility. The cost of it will most probably not be cheap for that month.

I apologize, I make this mistake all the time. I mean at the of March 2017.
I know how to ride a bike, and I have been riding in my neighbourhood.
What do you mean by under facility? Is that temporary insurance? Can you please elaborate?

Rev ON!

Facility is the insurer of last resort. Any insurance broker can get you a quote (expect it to be high). It is not temporary insurance, it is just a pool of drivers that the insurance industry does not want to insure.

Not the end of the world, sit tight, get your M2, and you can ride the ninja, its a fun bike.
a FEW insure m1, on the condition that you get your m2, asap....but its generally not worth the hassle

If you really can't wait, just find a broker that can insure you under Facility. The cost of it will most probably not be cheap for that month. Most insurance companies don't want to insure you (although technically illegal to not provide you a quote) for a good reason. I mean... They could just say they want $15k for the year.

So what should I do now? I wanna start riding. I mean could you please explain it step by step, I'm kinda slow.

Rev ON!

Most people will not insure until you have the m2.

My step son had his m1 and was able to get a quote for his bike as if he held an M2.

As soon as he completed the m2 course, and showed the agent his passing certificate he was able to get the policy activated early.

He had m2 insurance for the 3wks he was riding with an m1 until he was able to go to mto and have his license upgraded.

Last edited:
I'm in the same situation as well
Git my m1 end of March, and passing my course and certificate next weekend.
I got a quote with my m1: 1700/y
Was promised 700/y once I pass the test and take the training course.
My Kawasaki 300 is bought but I'd rather wait for my M2.
However, next Monday (I hope by then I would have passed the examination) I ll see of I can get the policy activated earlier. I mean before I get the M2 issued by MTO

My Kawasaki 300 is bought but I'd rather wait for my M2.
However, next Monday (I hope by then I would have passed the examination) I ll see of I can get the policy activated earlier. I mean before I get the M2 issued by MTO

I called RidersPlus, and the agent told me that once I get my certificate, I can have my insurance policy activated and ride on my M1, until 60 days have passed from the day I got my M1, then I can take my certificate to the Ministry and get my M2.

Rev ON!

I called RidersPlus, and the agent told me that once I get my certificate, I can have my insurance policy activated and ride on my M1, until 60 days have passed from the day I got my M1, then I can take my certificate to the Ministry and get my M2.

Rev ON!

Will the premium be as if you have the M2, wich is 700/y in my case? Or the premium will be reviewed once it is issued by MTO?

Will the premium be as if you have the M2, wich is 700/y in my case? Or the premium will be reviewed once it is issued by MTO?

Mine comes to $1500/y, and it will only be given to me once I have my Certificate in hand

Rev ON!

700/yr for a young brand new rider seems crazy low for Onterrible. I wouldn't trust that promise. Plan on 1700/yr, dropping by a few hundred per year and be happy if it drops faster.

700/yr for a young brand new rider seems crazy low for Onterrible. I wouldn't trust that promise. Plan on 1700/yr, dropping by a few hundred per year and be happy if it drops faster.

I'm 36 with full G and clean record. I had two different quotes : 500 and 700/y from different brokers
I must admit I was surprised too
Hope they will not change their mind by then ��

I'm 36 with full G and clean record. I had two different quotes : 500 and 700/y from different brokers
I must admit I was surprised too
Hope they will not change their mind by then ��

Ah, over 25 yo helps. I wasn't paying attention and thought you were the OP.

... I know how to ride a bike, and I have been riding in my neighbourhood.
What do you mean by under facility? Is that temporary insurance? Can you please elaborate?...

If you get caught riding without insurance by the police, apart from the fine of a min of $5k, you may be considered "high risk" and refused insurance by most insurance companies. If they quote you it will be Facility rates.

Ontario has mandatory insurance. Because it is mandatory the government stipulates that insurance companies must offer you insurance. If they deem you too risky, then the Ontario has this "insurance of last resort", called Facility. Facility will insure anyone who cannot be insured by insurance companies. The rate, as stated a couple of times, will be high. This is how the government can say that insurance is mandatory and available to all.

If you have no insurance you probably also have no valid license plate and validation sticker, unless it is insured by someone else. The police would charge you for all these offences.

If you get caught riding without insurance by the police, apart from the fine of a min of $5k, you may be considered "high risk" and refused insurance by most insurance companies. If they quote you it will be Facility rates.

Ontario has mandatory insurance. Because it is mandatory the government stipulates that insurance companies must offer you insurance. If they deem you too risky, then the Ontario has this "insurance of last resort", called Facility. Facility will insure anyone who cannot be insured by insurance companies. The rate, as stated a couple of times, will be high. This is how the government can say that insurance is mandatory and available to all.

If you have no insurance you probably also have no valid license plate and validation sticker, unless it is insured by someone else. The police would charge you for all these offences.

Thanks for all the information brother!

Rev ON!

Just wait till you get your m2

The motorcycle safety course teaches you a lot of skills that might end up saving your life

In the meantime invest in some gear

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom