Can't get insurance until I finish my MSF! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can't get insurance until I finish my MSF!

Some insurance companies will write you a policy as an M2 rider even when you're only technically an M1 so long as you have proof of successful completion of a MSC. They recognize that the waiting period does catch some people on a technicality and that for all intents and purposes you are an M2. They will typically require you to send them proof of the *actual* M2 having been obtained within 30 days.

In the meantime, get quotes based on M2, not M1, and ask if they'll do this for you. There may be tradeoffs however, if an insurance company that WILL rate you as an M2 before you're technically an M2 is $500/year more expensive than an insurance company that won't offer that...but you only need to wait a few weeks until you technically *are* M2 anyways, well.....ask yourself how much those few weeks of riding are worth to you.

In short, until you have the MSC form in your hand, let the bike sit - the alternative will cost you a lot more.

Really, even the MSF course isnt much, yes its nice to learn emergency braking and all that, but the real learning starts on the street.

Ride safe.

Really, even the MSF course isnt much, yes its nice to learn emergency braking and all that, but the real learning starts on the street.

I disagree. I think that there people who have been riding for decades who would learn new skills.

Face it, how many "old timers" have ever properly practiced emergency braking or know the proper techniques? A lot of people still think "laying it down" is the proper approach in the face of an impending accident. Same can be said for emergency avoidance swerving, low speed maneuvering, etc etc.

I disagree. I think that there people who have been riding for decades who would learn new skills.

Face it, how many "old timers" have ever properly practiced emergency braking or know the proper techniques? A lot of people still think "laying it down" is the proper approach in the face of an impending accident. Same can be said for emergency avoidance swerving, low speed maneuvering, etc etc.

"I had to lay 'er down."

Ride safe.

As PP said, very few people practice basic bike handling outside of the course. Prior to assaulting your senses with people and obstacles trying to kill you, it is good to have your subconscious making the correct bike handling decisions. Once you have a solid bike handling base, then take to the streets to learn how to avoid all of the ways people try to kill you.

As PP said, very few people practice basic bike handling outside of the course. Prior to assaulting your senses with people and obstacles trying to kill you, it is good to have your subconscious making the correct bike handling decisions. Once you have a solid bike handling base, then take to the streets to learn how to avoid all of the ways people try to kill you.

Agreed. I had riding experience prior to taking the course (decades of dirt riding and some street) and would recommend the course to everyone. Some of the people that I took the course with I would definitely not have wanted on the road.

Back
Top Bottom