What's with the leg thing? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's with the leg thing?

timtune

Site Supporter
Been watching motoGP and some Superbike and I can't figure out why the riders throw their leg out before tucking it back in for the turn.

Anybody have any insight?

There are a lot of theories and often times the riders themselves can't really pinpoint why they do it. Some say it's a dirt riding habit which I think is probably likely. I believe Rossi popularized it although he wasn't the first to do it on an asphalt track.

I do it to point out the dead groundhog that the rider in front of me clobbered.

At first it was said it was to balance the rider... Have a hard time believing that, as balance is better kept with both feet on the pegs.

Then it was pretty much said it was for style... a bit like the old riding style of the 70s-80s compared to now, where then they didn't lean off the bike and now we do.

Pretty much anyone's guess lol

In all reality.... hanging both legs off would change the centre of gravity up on the bike. That seems to be opposite to what you would want, but it's working for him. Hanging one leg off might play with the balance and CoG and maybe even as an air brake of sorts...at the speeds they go. ...and to block a wider line.

or...

Rossi is a genius at psycology.

One of the best descriptions I've heard so far:
https://motomatters.com/opinion/2009/07/22/the_truth_behind_the_rossi_leg_wave.html
Jerez in 2005, in the last-gasp, last-corner move in which Rossi jammed his Yamaha M1 up the inside of Sete Gibernau's Gresini Honda, barely in control, and Gibernau tried to close the door too late. That move ended up defining the 2005 World Championship, and put Rossi at a psychological advantage over title rival Gibernau which saw him clinch the title with relative ease by the end of the season.

This is not to dismiss the leg wave as a meaningless ritual and a complete waste of time. The data shows that Rossi neither gains nor loses ground by the move, so it certainly does no harm. The leg wave works because Rossi believes it works, and like a lucky T-shirt, a holy medallion or putting one boot on before the other, as long as he keeps winning there will be no arguing about its success.

Last edited:
Airflow up the pant leg to cool off the boys. Gets mighty hot in Quatar and Argentina...

Been watching motoGP and some Superbike and I can't figure out why the riders throw their leg out before tucking it back in for the turn.

Anybody have any insight?

It's to make people like you ask questions like that.

Obviously

Taylor Knapp dangles his outside leg. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
bjn61892.jpg

If you watched the World Supersport Races Sheridan Morais was dangling both legs. I don't know how he stays on the bike like that.

Yeah I saw that.

So at the end of the day none of us really knows........

In all reality.... hanging both legs off would change the centre of gravity up on the bike. That seems to be opposite to what you would want, but it's working for him. Hanging one leg off might play with the balance and CoG and maybe even as an air brake of sorts...at the speeds they go. ...and to block a wider line.

or...

Rossi is a genius at psycology.

One of the best descriptions I've heard so far:
https://motomatters.com/opinion/2009/07/22/the_truth_behind_the_rossi_leg_wave.html

Loved the response from Carroll Resweber.

It serves a number of things, but the most prominent theory I have come across is that it shifts weight towards the rear wheel on the inside of the upcoming turn and thereby stabilizes the whole rear of the bike. More importantly, upon making the first steering application, you will have shifted weight closer (and again to the inside of the turn) to the powerful gyroscope that is the rear wheel, making it easier for it to tip in.

Rossi said he doesn't know why he does it. But he knows why everybody else does it...

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I think its for weight shifting... i saw Rossi slide the rear once coming out of a corner.... he was going to loose it..he lifted his outer leg up off the peg and instantly regained controle....either that of he was ******** his pants

According to Simon Crafar it's to help balance the bike while trail braking because the chasis wants to pivot around the headstock to the outside when the rear end gets light. Often times the rear wheel is off the ground if you google it which supports this theory

CoG is what I've always thought. Much like launching off the line, if you bring your feet up immediately, I feel like there is more wheelie, less stability.

Back
Top Bottom