Helmets... how long should we keep a helmet? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmets... how long should we keep a helmet?

They are supposed to be good for 5 years, and I imagine that is being pretty safe its probably realistically 6 maybe even 7. Add on the fact we cannot ride for such a long part of the year and if you do you sure are not sweating and id say its very safe to add on a few more years, if you were to be anal and say have 2 sets of liners or even just removed them whenever you got sweaty and washed them I bet 10 years and a helmet would still be just as safe as after 4.

I have an early 70's Nava helmet in my garage.It fit me perfectly back then,but if i were to try it on now (i won't because it's really gross inside) it would probably be about 4 sizes too big.That is how much the eps liner shrinks over time.Same goes for the old Shoei RF200 on the same shelf.It's probably about 2 sizes too big.
Helmets are like socks and underwear...right?
P4100001_zps7mpai9uy.jpg

P4100003_zpsovpsy30e.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! People like to hold onto their old sweaty dirty nasty lids!

Is it really outside of some of your budgets to make an investment every half a decade in a piece of gear that is protecting your brain???

I typically buy more expensive helmets and as a result of racing it seems I buy them (much) more frequently than most people in this thread (jokers aside)... adding up my expenses they really are a small portion of the money I spend on riding.

Treat yourself, buy a new lid every once in a while... they smell so much better when new than the 4 pounds of sweat/snot/spit/dirt/bugs/exhaust/oil/dead skin your carrying around in that old POS!!!

I have an early 70's Nava helmet in my garage.It fit me perfectly back then,but if i were to try it on now (i won't because it's really gross inside) it would probably be about 4 sizes too big.That is how much the eps liner shrinks over time.Same goes for the old Shoei RF200 on the same shelf.It's probably about 2 sizes too big.
Helmets are like socks and underwear...right?
P4100001_zps7mpai9uy.jpg

P4100003_zpsovpsy30e.jpg

convert that to a novelty aquarium....the view out that visor is epic.

It's like asking whether brake fluid from a properly sealed previously opened bottle can be used after x months ..... some will say call the cops, the other side will say relax and go ahead. The same with helmets ... anyway, neither is perishable, you know .... LOL

SHOEI, recommends replacement after 5 years after its first purchased at retail.”

So basically if the helmet is new the 5 year timer starts when you start to use it once it is exposed to your head and the elements.

“If you love something set it free if it returns its yours forever, if not it was never meant to be.”

SHOEI, recommends replacement after 5 years after its first purchased at retail.”

So basically if the helmet is new the 5 year timer starts when you start to use it once it is exposed to your head and the elements.

You are completely right, I forgot that was how it worked

I shamefully finally replaced my Shoei RF-900 today, way past due, and gotta admit the fit/features of a new lid were well worth it (picked up the AGV K5 SV). Going to aim for a more responsible replacement schedule in the future.

Anyone know who will take old buckets in the Oakville area? Going to drop by the local fire station and see.

What's the noise level inside the AGV?
I was looking at the K5 for a street helmet so I can keep my RF1200's for track only.

Any reason you got the K5 instead of the K3? I'm looking for a new helmet myself and the AGV K3 SV is one I'm considering.

i got mine in 2012/2013 .... ride it every season since. i wash the pads every year so the smell is actually not that bad. I wash the exterior every now and then so it still looks presentable.

while i do agree the inside foam exposed to sweat will deteriorate, why waste money every 5 years to replace it? I want to see those tests to understand how much sweat is needed to make the helmet unsafe to wear. Also, on average the ride is only a few hours exposed to UV (assuming the helmet is not exposed to summer like conditions 7/24/365) the damage is minimal over 5 years. Imagine the paint on your car after 5 years getting to he point where you need to replace the entire body!

in case of an accident - realistically speaking, you hit your head and helmet brakes - the least of your worries is when you purchased it - at that time, your spine will be in worst shape.

What's the noise level inside the AGV?
I was looking at the K5 for a street helmet so I can keep my RF1200's for track only.
So far it has been stellar in comparison to my old lid... but I haven't put many Km's on with it yet.

Any reason you got the K5 instead of the K3? I'm looking for a new helmet myself and the AGV K3 SV is one I'm considering.
I didn't like the fit of the K3, the K5 felt a ton more comfortable to me. The shell is made of different material too, felt a bit lighter but that could just be bad perception.

Thanks for the advice; I did take it back to the vendor--no problem really. They didn't feel I needed to worry about the age of the helmet because it had been safely stored but in the end, I am a new mature rider and I simply feel more comfortable with the newer product.

Back
Top Bottom