Helmets... how long should we keep a helmet? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmets... how long should we keep a helmet?

V

verity

I recently purchased a helmet only to discover that the manufacturers date was back in 2013..... My bike helmet that I bought last year was made six months prior; I am not feeling at all comfortable about this purchase.

Not amused at having paid full price for a premium branded helmet to discover it has already, technically, gone through most of its guaranteed usefulness.

(Good thing I had the older backup for my class this weekend..)

Your thoughts?

Thanks..

Wouldn't be too keen on it myself. Is it too late to try and return it?

The recommendation is 5 years of us. If it was in original packaging and not exposed to the elements, then it will be good for 5 years.

5-7 is what I've heard. If it has been in a box most of the time, or you only ride weekends (and six months of the year due to winter), then the end of that range is likely still safe, imo.

Still debating if I will replace my RF-1100 this year or not...if not this year, definitely next.

5-7 years for occasional riders, whenever you drop it or crash it.
...or more frequently if you just want a new one with cool new graphics.

no longer than 1 year..............the wife is convinced so dont **** this up for me!!!

I'm going to play devil's advocate here.
As long as its been stored properly, the interior of the helmet hasn't deteriorated and it hasn't been subjected to impact I say go ahead and use it.
Safety standards haven't changed much (Snell 2015 yes, but DOT and ECE are the same) so there's no real disadvantage there.
In most instances, with regular use, the helmet gets sloppy, doesn't fit properly and your sweat causes the interior to get grotty.
Your call, but I'm a cheap old b*gger and can't see tossing it for no really good reason ?
Others opinions may differ....:eek:

I dont think anyone was arguing with you................

I wouldn't be too concerned with the helmet but I would be super annoyed at the shop. Paying full price for a helmet made 4 years ago is crazy. I would return if possible (or at least swap it out for a much newer one from their stock). Old helmets should be sold at clearance prices, then you are getting what you pay for.

I was cleaning up my garage yesterday and tossed a 2000 vintage HJC FF... Used very lightly so still looked pristine.

I keep all my old helmets. I have them in glass display cases.

Same here makes nice look

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

People need to remember that if that helmet is in the sun for long periods that the sun uv rays likely deteriorates the lid.
Also sweat is hard on items, wash your lid regularly.

People need to remember that if that helmet is in the sun for long periods that the sun uv rays likely deteriorates the lid.
Also sweat is hard on items, wash your lid regularly.

Yes..toss those fibreglass boats after a year. Just kidding. Did you get the helmet at a clearance price OP?

I was cleaning up my garage yesterday and tossed a 2000 vintage HJC FF... Used very lightly so still looked pristine.

Donate to your local fire dept, i'm sure they will have a use for it.

Donate to your local fire dept, i'm sure they will have a use for it.

I looked into that - Toronto Fire won't take them, they have a deal with one of the distributors to take any oddball leftovers for training purposes.
BUT Toronto EMT will take them - they are located beside the Fire Academy at Lakeshore & Leslie.
Next time you're down there for a Thursday night get together arrange to drop them off.

Back
Top Bottom