Whose been to the Manitoulin Rally or Ride for Sight North | GTAMotorcycle.com

Whose been to the Manitoulin Rally or Ride for Sight North

timtune

Site Supporter
Bookending some time up north with these two events. Any body shed light on either?

After 18years (this year will be 19) of attending the Central Ontario Ride for Sight, I was debating heading up to Sault St Marie for the Northern Ontario Ride for Sight this year, but I opted to attempt my first IronButt SS1000 instead. I have met the couple who are the head of the planning committee for the NO RFS and they are both class acts and put on a great event according to everyone I know who's gone. I'd be willing to bet you'll have a great time! I heard they have a big bonfire on the Saturday night and an acoustic jam band plays the tunes while everyone enjoys the night. I've also heard that their parade ride is gorgeous! I will most likely commit to making the trip next year.

Yes, I've done RFS here in the south for almost as long. Havn't been for a couple years since they quit doing anything on Friday - maybe they've changed back as that made no sense. I'm picturing the Northern version being a little quiter.

Still up for feedback on Manitoulin....

The weekend of the rally on manitoulin their is a guy that hosts an adventure off road ride too so you might want to post this question on Advrider.com too if that is something your interested in.

I happened to be riding to Elliot lake the friday the rally starts and theferry was packed.More cars than bikes by a long shot )I literally got the last spot on the ferry.I didn't make a reservation previous to that date because every time I'd called previously to reserve a spot they'd tell me"don't worry about it they'll be lots of room,so keep that in mind.

I think it was 3-4 years ago and I kind of just stopped to see what was going on and it didn't seem like a whole lot, but I was their very briefly so maybe it picked up later, can't say for sure.

I really enjoy riding on manitoulin though so rally or no rally is fine with me

Sorry I couldn't provide more specifics about the rally itself but I'm sure someone else will chime in who's actually spent the weekend

Last edited:
Yes, I've done RFS here in the south for almost as long. Havn't been for a couple years since they quit doing anything on Friday - maybe they've changed back as that made no sense.

The Central Ontario Ride for Sight is open again on the Friday and has been for the last few years now. Gates open at 3pm, onsite camping is available and there is a barn dance with country band and a cash bar. We have the same band on Friday night as last year and they are really good! Saturday we are having a destination parade/ride starting in Stouffville and going to Fenlon Falls. Check out the Ride for Sight section here on GTAM for all the latest news!

The weekend of the rally on manitoulin their is a guy that hosts an adventure off road ride too so you might want to post this question on Advrider.com too if that is something your interested in.

I happened to be riding to Elliot lake the friday the rally starts and theferry was packed.More cars than bikes by a long shot )I literally got the last spot on the ferry.I didn't make a reservation previous to that date because every time I'd called previously to reserve a spot they'd tell me"don't worry about it they'll be lots of room,so keep that in mind.

I think it was 3-4 years ago and I kind of just stopped to see what was going on and it didn't seem like a whole lot, but I was their very briefly so maybe it picked up later, can't say for sure.

I really enjoy riding on manitoulin though so rally or no rally is fine with me

Sorry I couldn't provide more specifics about the rally itself but I'm sure someone else will chime in who's actually spent the weekend

When the Squeeze & I did a loop of lake Huron a few years back we decided to take a chance on the ferry. Got up early and just booked it all the way to South Bay Mouth hoping to catch the 1 oclock sailing without a reservation. When we arrived they said we were the last bike that was going to get on. Then two more bikes arrived and we all got on. I think they can always squeeze one more on.

There will be four of us headed to Manitoulin all on KLRs so for sure the adventure ride is of interest - Thanks for the heads up.

When the Squeeze & I did a loop of lake Huron a few years back we decided to take a chance on the ferry. Got up early and just booked it all the way to South Bay Mouth hoping to catch the 1 oclock sailing without a reservation. When we arrived they said we were the last bike that was going to get on. Then two more bikes arrived and we all got on. I think they can always squeeze one more on.

There will be four of us headed to Manitoulin all on KLRs so for sure the adventure ride is of interest - Thanks for the heads up.

I wouldn't count on it. I was left sucking the hind tit on a midweek morning once.

I wouldn't count on it. I was left sucking the hind tit on a midweek morning once.

Yeah "always" was a stretch.

That said if you plan the crossing your own ratchet straps are a good idea. They say they provide you a tie down and hand a length of course hemp. Luckily some trucker did a wicked knot for me that a sinch to undo on the far side.

I did a manatoulin route this past summer, back over sudbury and parry sound. If you haven't done it before:

- the costal road, HW #1 north of owen sound is a nice detour
- book the ferry and do not be late. It fills up, you need to be on time for it. Depending on your timeline, the 8pm is nice for sunset. The ferry is licensed if you want a refreshment.
- They only have crappy ropes, I recommend a canyon dancer and straps. The angle to the mounting points is fairly sharp, nothing stops the back/forth movement of the bike. If you are using a kickstand, use the tie down in the next row behind the bike to make sure it doesn't rock. Its a bit awkward, but better safe than have a kickstand slip
- The vehicle area is locked during the voyage
- if you go at night, get gas in tobermory, manatoulin isn't large, but is sparce.
- if you have time the singing sands near tobermory is a nice stop.
- the short piece betwee espanola/whitefish falls are really nice
- some of the B roads that go through the reserves are really C or D grade roads, the surface quality can be very hit and miss

When I lived at the Bruce (Port Elgin) back in the 90's, I used the ferry almost every weekend as my dad kept a salmon fishing boat on the island. I would make sure I was there 1 1/2 hours early and fully fueled. Bikes are first on and first off. Nothing more aggravating than stopping for fuel and watching all those cars pass by... Bring your own tie-downs and a bungee cord to lock-wrap the front brake lever. Also the cops know the schedule so they take advantage of ferry traffic. WATCH OUT FOR DEER! Happy apexes.

Hey everyone. I just took the Chi-Cheemaun ferry for the first time this past weekend (May 27) on the return section of my trip from the island to Tobermory. Bringing your own tie downs isn't absolutely necessary. They provide ropes that work just fine. Tying down the front brake lever is a great tip.
I made reservations about a month in advance but the ferry was only half full. My route went up hwy 48, through Southwood 13, Hwy 400 to Sudbury then onto the island.
Stayed at Kagawong Family Cabins for the night. I highly recommend this place. They're located just minutes from the Bridal Veil Falls.

Meh, one ratchet strap should be enough; I wind the excess strap around the front brake lever. I guess it's possible a bike could fall over but I've never seen it (12+ times at this point). Last crossing was barf-bag rough--thought for sure I was going to die with all crashing and shuddering (the crew laughed). My scooter relies on a parking brake (CVT, no gearbox) and it seemed unperturbed when we arrived in Tobermory.

Reserving passage is a good idea these days, even for bikes. I used to take my chances and was never stung, but the last few times were close calls. I was squeezed between two pickups and the bulkhead recently. It used to cost extra to reserve, but I don't think that's the case now.

Manitoulin is a relaxing place to ride with no traffic lights. Let's keep it that way.

Yes reserving is now free as long as you cancel 24 hours before sailing.
40$ bike & rider

Just reserved space for the 5 KLRs. The trip home just got way more relaxing.......

Only 2 tie downs??? I guess it's not the Atlantic,,,,,,lol

Only used one to hold down the GoldWing a few years back.

Hit both rallies. RFSN is quite small maybe 50 bikes in the camp. Mostly cruisers. With 5 KLRs we were the odd men out. Nice facilities, including a sauna. People were very friendly and knew us by name shortly after we arrived. Almost none of the shennanigens of the southern rally. Not one burn out and things were quiet after about 11pm.

Manitoulin Rally was similar, quite small. Again maybe 50-60 bikes. did the poker run, buddy won third place when he drew a natural full house. Placed my "it's just a dirty dirtbike" in the show and shine and then tried a couple of the fields games but like the show and shine I didn't win any hardware. low key but a good time.

Back
Top Bottom