Can I get radial tires been told I can't. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can I get radial tires been told I can't.

Knight

I'm looking to get new tires for my 1990 VTR 250 and I've been told that I can only use/ get Bridgestone bias ply tire
I've asked a few different places.
tire size is
front 100/90-16 54s
rear 120/80-17 61s

There are tires other than Bridgestone in those sizes, but I don't know of any radials in those sizes.

Probably not but look into Avon Road Riders great bias ply tire!

I was told, many years ago, that radial tire construction was to "flexible" for a two wheel configuration.

That statement would pre-date every late model sporty-ish bike being equipped with radial tires, which is the case nowadays!

Anyhow, as far as the original post is concerned, rear 130/70-17 is available (Michelin) but the front 16 inch rim is a problem.

Metzler also makes good (sport/sport touring) bias ply tires to fit your wheels, with the lasertech front, and a couple of different options for the rear.

The BT45 bridgestones have a good reputation for sport/sport touring grip and performance, and are probably the least expensive. The metzler lasertech front is known to be a stellar performer in the rain. and provides good grip in the dry. metzlers will be higher priced. as for avon road riders I have seen some complaints about tires dry cracking within a year. This likely has been corrected as (older) forum posts show some being refunded replacements for the said cracks (nice PR). They are reviewed well as a sport/sport touring tire with good performance. Oh, not to forget Pirelli, they also have its sport demons which review well.

You have lots of options, and any of the tires above will outperform the OEM tires. All of these tires are available in sizes that match your original tires. all are bias ply.

http://www.petes-superbike.com/tires-c-2234_1.html petes sbk has great pricing online, and are cdn company. you can see all the tires above, along with sizing and prices.

Last edited:
I have the Bridgestone Battlax BT45's on my 1985 Yamaha FZ750,,,,,,,,I don't like them at all.....I find they don't grip very well, wet or dry....just my experience....

I would suggest the Pirelli Sport Demons

even though you have to go up a size in the rear, these are fantastic tires....

https://www.petes-superbike.com/sport-demon-c-2234_1_188_3417.html

Last edited:
I have the Bridgestone Battlax BT45's on my 1985 Yamaha FZ750,,,,,,,,I don't like them at all.....I find they don't grip very well, wet or dry....just my experience....

I would suggest the Pirelli Sport Demons

even though you have to go up a size in the rear, these are fantastic tires....

https://www.petes-superbike.com/sport-demon-c-2234_1_188_3417.html

nice to have a gta poster review the demons. He could go with the 120/80 or 120/90, but it would be "H" speed rated. Should be good with vtr250? - 210km/h

EDIT: oops. I was looking at 18"- wrong its 17" - 130 it is.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys I actually messed up the front size its a 17" not 16". I found a local shop that can get the IRC tires and is half the labour of a yamaha dealer down the street from my work. I have the bridgestones now I'd like to compare to something else and since this is my first bike I can't say if this tire has been great or not in the wet/dry.

Thanks for the info guys I actually messed up the front size its a 17" not 16". I found a local shop that can get the IRC tires and is half the labour of a yamaha dealer down the street from my work. I have the bridgestones now I'd like to compare to something else and since this is my first bike I can't say if this tire has been great or not in the wet/dry.

Don't know if its a done deal for you on the IRC tires, you might want to check the reviews on them. They don't review well...from the quick look I took.

Thanks for the info guys I actually messed up the front size its a 17" not 16".

Huge difference from 16" to 17". No way I've been able to find any radials in a 16 inch.

I've had BT45 and they're an ok tire. Not overly confidence inspiring. Also the back tends to square on these.
I've found Pirelli Sport Demons are stickier than the BT45. The back seemed to have gone off way before the front, even though they didn't see much mileage.

If you can go up one size front and back (110/130) I'd suggest the Micheline Pilot Street Radial. Proper radial construction made specifically for small/light bikes.
Found the grip was way better than the Sport Demons.

Other options you might want to look into are the Avon am26 and some of the vintage guys run Hindenau (not sure which ones), but both of these would not be radial.

Don't know if its a done deal for you on the IRC tires, you might want to check the reviews on them. They don't review well...from the quick look I took.

Ok they seem to be a bad choice apparently they are unpredictable you can't corner too hard at all on them. I might have to stick to bridgestones

Huge difference from 16" to 17". No way I've been able to find any radials in a 16 inch.

I've had BT45 and they're an ok tire. Not overly confidence inspiring. Also the back tends to square on these.
I've found Pirelli Sport Demons are stickier than the BT45. The back seemed to have gone off way before the front, even though they didn't see much mileage.

If you can go up one size front and back (110/130) I'd suggest the Micheline Pilot Street Radial. Proper radial construction made specifically for small/light bikes.
Found the grip was way better than the Sport Demons.

Other options you might want to look into are the Avon am26 and some of the vintage guys run Hindenau (not sure which ones), but both of these would not be radial.

Thanks I'll look into those tires as well.

In response to your post...here I what I can get...
the problem is, I can't see anyone making a 100 wide front tire is a radial construction.

So if you go up to a 110 wide in the front its possible to have a radial tire. Yes the aspect ratio won't be the same but the radial and modern tire should help the bike's handling.

#1 - RADIAL
F-MICHELIN PILOT POWER 2CT - 110/70/17
Either a 120 front in the rear, or a 140 rear if it fits, but might be too big of jump

#2 - RADIAL
F-MICHELIN PILOT ROAD 3 - 110/70/17
R-MICHELIN PILOT ROAD 3 - 120/70/17 (this is actually a front tire)

#3 - Same thread as Pilot Road 2 - Bias Ply
F-MICHELIN PILOT STREET - 100/80/17
R-MICHELIN PILOT STREET - 130/70/17

#4 - Same thread as Pilot Road 2 - Radial
F - MICHELIN PILOT STREET RADIAL - 110/70/17
R - MICHELIN PILOT STREET RADIAL - 130/70/17

17" front wheel makes this a whole lot easier.

In another thread there was discussion of possibly doing a track day with this bike. If you're going to do that, use the Michelin Pilot street radials in 110/70-17 front and 130/70-17 rear sizes.

17" front wheel makes this a whole lot easier.

In another thread there was discussion of possibly doing a track day with this bike. If you're going to do that, use the Michelin Pilot street radials in 110/70-17 front and 130/70-17 rear sizes.

something that hasn't been mentioned is your bikes rim widths. I would think you have a 2.15" front and a 2.5" or 2.75" rear. The radials mentioned would be a best fit on a 3.0" front and a 3.5" rear. Radials generally require wider rims than bias ply tires for a given size. By going to radials on your narrower rims the profile of the tire will change from what the factory designed them to be.

I would consider staying with bias ply for this reason. Michelin bias pilot street will fit properly on your rims. The michelin pilot street radials 110/130 will be like two steps larger front and rear, where as 110 and 130 bias michelin pilot street tires will be a more acceptable one step larger front and rear.
Ahh ..options. Nothing like a bike with new tires.

EDIT if you look closely at your rims you will find their dimensions stamped (tiny) on them.

Last edited:
In response to your post...here I what I can get...
the problem is, I can't see anyone making a 100 wide front tire is a radial construction.

So if you go up to a 110 wide in the front its possible to have a radial tire. Yes the aspect ratio won't be the same but the radial and modern tire should help the bike's handling.

#1 - RADIAL
F-MICHELIN PILOT POWER 2CT - 110/70/17
Either a 120 front in the rear, or a 140 rear if it fits, but might be too big of jump

#2 - RADIAL
F-MICHELIN PILOT ROAD 3 - 110/70/17
R-MICHELIN PILOT ROAD 3 - 120/70/17 (this is actually a front tire)

#3 - Same thread as Pilot Road 2 - Bias Ply
F-MICHELIN PILOT STREET - 100/80/17
R-MICHELIN PILOT STREET - 130/70/17

#4 - Same thread as Pilot Road 2 - Radial
F - MICHELIN PILOT STREET RADIAL - 110/70/17
R - MICHELIN PILOT STREET RADIAL - 130/70/17

thanks that's some valuable info I'll mention that I'm going tracking to the shop

Back
Top Bottom