507 today? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

507 today?

ill have to ask my friends if ive ridden it before.. honestly not sure. i ride 35 quite a bit so theres a good chance ive done 507.

and here i was planning a trip to the Gravenhurst/Bracebridge area..monday/tuesday

Guess that would probably be better around may-juneish?
last season i think my first ride up to the cottage was early may and it was fine.

ill have to ask my friends if ive ridden it before.. honestly not sure. i ride 35 quite a bit so theres a good chance ive done 507.

last season i think my first ride up to the cottage was early may and it was fine.

Ah, how is 35?

What about 13?

I'll let you know tomorrow, going north to run a loop that will include 13/Southwood in its entirety on the way back.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I'll let you know tomorrow, going north to run a loop that will include 13/Southwood in its entirety on the way back.

Southwood?..yeah right! We all know up there is sand everywhere until June.

What do you guys take to avoid the road? everyone always says the road is ****, which is definitely isnt in anywhere near good condition with the sand/ craters they call pot holes. But I always take 11 up then get off at southwood then to bala and up to 632.

^^
You could always take 400 to Muskoka Rd 38, which leads into Bala and then up the #7/632 from there. Also if you like frost heaves, bumps and slow speed limits, check out Mortimers Point Rd as another road to include to get to the #7/632.

Southwood?..yeah right! We all know up there is sand everywhere until June.

out f 4 times i've ridden that road last year twice I've had to pull someone out of a ditch (never people that were riding with me), i've cut it out of my Muskoka route after the last time, pavement is brutal, and there is always sand on the road

My loop today included 45(monck rd) to 35 to Bobcaygeon rd to 118 to Muskoka beach rd (17) to 169 to Southwood. All roads were good except Southwood, which was awesome. Southwood has the usual sand making it a very technical run, I loved it. Also did a gravel excursion off Southwood. Great day!
997c9f6fef0865284e649439fb6de496.jpg
bc03299f6a76034aa1a7365f352c239c.jpg
800f6464d969f7b8d0360dfcb445e203.jpg

out f 4 times i've ridden that road last year twice I've had to pull someone out of a ditch (never people that were riding with me), i've cut it out of my Muskoka route after the last time, pavement is brutal, and there is always sand on the road

I did southwood a few years ago in July and it was still full of sand. The traffic was heavy for that class of road (every cottager see's it as a shortcut). There were tour-*****, bicycles, pedestrians, grannies driving little Honda's and a moving van! I might have been a long weekend (I don't remember). The road has many frost heaves, rough and patched-up. Passing is tricky and just when you're in the clear, there are sand dunes on the road. I can't wait to do it again LOL. It still beats 400-11 series highways heading up north. Be careful. Happy Apexes.

Iceman,
is 45(monck rd) paved? I never checked it out.
Yes, great pavement all the way through. Makes an excellent route to 35 or to Gooderham and the north end of 507.

35 between 118 and 117 was re paved about 2 years ago, it was nice last year. if you go from 11 to 118 to 35 its a nice ride.

I guess this is where I chime in with my annual warning about the 507. I have been going up there at least monthly (during riding season anyway) since the late 90's as we have friends with a cottage on the 507. Now those same friends live full time at their cottage. It has always made for a great place to go for a ride, stop in for a visit etc. Since moving up to Peterborough almost 10yrs ago, it is only a 30 min ride to the 507 so I include it in many of my loops. While it is a very fun road, it is an unsafe one to be riding much over the posted speed limit. While there aren't any crossroads on the 507 there are many cottage roads and driveways shooting off of it. Since it is the only road to get to all those cottages, it is often busy with folks in a rush to get to the cottage, towing boats, ATV's, cars loaded to the roof etc. Every year the locals up there all take a guess at how many bikes will crash on the 507. It's not that they want riders to crash, it's that they know it is an inevitability. You get a lot of city riders itching for some curvy roads heading up there in droves every year, and since there are relatively few police in there area, they decide to do flex their bike's muscles. I've seen all manner of terrible riding on the 507 over the years. I've seen bikes passing over blind hills, I've seen passing on a double yellow, I've seen bikes passing way too many cars at once, I've seen bikes passing cars in the apex of corners! I've also seen the unmistakable skid marks of left by a bike tire that left the road into the ditch maybe a day before, or the signs of metal or plastic scraping off into the ditch and I've seen pieces of brightly coloured body work left behind in those ditches. Coming around some of those blind corners on the 507 I've been met with stalled vehicles, various items like coolers etc lying in the middle of the road, turkeys, a fox, racoons, and even a black bear sitting on the yellow line contemplating it's own existence! Seriously, it didn't move for like 5 mins.

The 507 is a fun road. Lots of great curves, but many riders don't give it the respect it deserves. I know part of the reason for it's rough shape is that halfway up you cross into a different county with a much smaller municipal budget, but honestly I don't think Peterborough county is very concerned with keeping their end of it up either. If it were all freshly repaved and smooth it would just attract more riders to flock to it every summer. If you are going to go to the 507 for a ride, and believe me, I'm not trying to tell you not to, you are best to head up mid-week. Much less traffic and much less chances of having a not-so-friendly chat with Johnny Law.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom