Echo Safety Helmet Chin Strap | GTAMotorcycle.com

Echo Safety Helmet Chin Strap

highgrade

I just wanted to know if this is legal in Canada. It is a quick release for your helmet.

41xy21BXwhL._AC_UL320_SR238,320_.jpg

Why would you ever need a quick release? Is taking off your helmet THAT much of a hassle?

And no I don't believe you could modify helmet straps and still be DOT approved

I saw a family in the ganny. Kid comes around a corner, hits a root, bails, and his helmet comes flying off. The dad says "ah it's ok, we stop too much and it's a hassle". I look and out of 5 people none has theirs done up! I mean, you could always teach your 8 year old how to do up their own helmet, that's if you know how to put your own on which they probably didn't.

OP, don't use that.

From doing a quick Google search, not DOT approved. "meme" is correct.
I tried one many years ago. Do not remember why. I was not too sure on the safety factor. Did not want to take a chance. Took it off.

This widget looks unsafe to keep your helmet attached to your head. Maybe it is ok to attach your helmet to your seat when carrying it for a passenger. Personally I think simpler is better and more reliable.

Then again...
Echo Company site said:
The #1 choice of riders since 1987, it EXCEEDS chinstrap testing requirements of D.O.T. 218, SNELL (2005) and N.I.J. 0104.02
source

Interesting design in that you simply slip the metal clip through your dual D ring end. The other end slides onto the long strap. No sewing, so it does not compromize your strap's integrity. Made in USA.

I can't speak to the reliability of this particular product but if it locks in solidly I would have no problem using it. One of my helmets came with a flimsy and uncomfortable plastic ratchet system similar to a snowboard binding. I would take this over that. I just don't find D rings that much of a hassle to begin with.

I saw a family in the ganny. Kid comes around a corner, hits a root, bails, and his helmet comes flying off. The dad says "ah it's ok, we stop too much and it's a hassle". I look and out of 5 people none has theirs done up! I mean, you could always teach your 8 year old how to do up their own helmet, that's if you know how to put your own on which they probably didn't.

OP, don't use that.

Haha, the number of bicycle riders with the straps undone (or hockey helmet loose) is ridiculous. Do they think it will do anything in a crash? You have all of the downsides of a helmet with none of the upside, I just don't get it.

OP, it looks decently designed, I would like an undercut on the hooks though. It looks like they are sloped in the wrong direction and could pop when pulled on. I don't know what forces the strap sees, but in a crash I wouldn't be surprised if it was hundreds of pounds. I would stick with the D rings unless I had a really solid reason to need this (like crippling arthritis).

Thanks again for the replies. I have not tried this but just wanted to see if anyone has. It says you don't have to make any mods to the straps just connecting the product to the straps.

It does say "it EXCEEDS chinstrap testing requirements of D.O.T. 218, SNELL (2005) and N.I.J. 0104.02"

Meh. Instead of putting lip stick on a ........

I'd just look at purchasing a helmet that is is easy to strap on and off.

In all honesty, D ring straps are so easy to "undo" and once you get used to feeding the strap through, it becomes second nature to do them up.

I'd pass on this but, stickers that make my bike go fast? That there I can throw my support behind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That plastic buckle doesn't look all that sturdy...and metal against plastic will eventually wear the plastic. D rings work fine and some have the tab on the D ring to aid release. Have those and no problems.

Would probably come in handy if you were stealing helmets off of bikes. I'd be leery of anyone wearing one though, for that reason.

Wow am surprised to see this thing as 'news'. I bought one of those years ago & it worked out pretty good. Personally I hate the double D's that can't be worked without removing the gloves :(
That kit is pretty sturdy & no adjustment or cutting of the existing strap needed. If you ever fall out of like for them it can be removed & your helmet is stock again.
The kit isn't quite as easy to work as some of the factory quick release ratchets, but is better than nothing

Wow am surprised to see this thing as 'news'. I bought one of those years ago & it worked out pretty good. Personally I hate the double D's that can't be worked without removing the gloves :(
That kit is pretty sturdy & no adjustment or cutting of the existing strap needed. If you ever fall out of like for them it can be removed & your helmet is stock again.
The kit isn't quite as easy to work as some of the factory quick release ratchets, but is better than nothing

I have been using these for years on my helmets. It is an excellent product and actually stronger than just the D ring itself. The only issue is sometimes the mechanism does not go straight in but you get used to doing it so that doesn't happen.The upside is you just put your helmet on and click it in,you're already adjusted for the perfect fit.

OP, don't use that.

Sidenote, it scares me that people are also wearing helmets loose enough that they can fly off if not done up. With my Shoei, I'd almost need lube if it were any tighter, lol. Still use the strap 100% of the time, or pull over if somehow I forgot.

To the OP, really it takes like 10 seconds to do up the strap...even if you are a new rider, don't worry it will become second nature like tying your shoes after a while.

Sidenote, it scares me that people are also wearing helmets loose enough that they can fly off if not done up. With my Shoei, I'd almost need lube if it were any tighter, lol. Still use the strap 100% of the time, or pull over if somehow I forgot.

To the OP, really it takes like 10 seconds to do up the strap...even if you are a new rider, don't worry it will become second nature like tying your shoes after a while.

I know someone who does this. He keeps the strap tied up loosely so he can just take the helmet on and off without fiddling. I recommended that he buy one of these buckles lol. If it's gonna at least ensure that his strap is tight then it's done its job.

The plastic and metal clip is stronger than 2 metal D rings???????

Maybe not the material but perhaps it takes more force to loosen it? I have seen D ring straps come loose before.

Maybe not the material but perhaps it takes more force to loosen it? I have seen D ring straps come loose before.

You are correct. The two metal connectors interlock and there is no way they can separate unless you squeeze both tabs to disengage them. The plastic is not used in the connection and has no function other than to provide a means to get the helmet off.

Back
Top Bottom