Looking for a Hooligan Machine! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for a Hooligan Machine!

Zlatan44

Hey all,

I know this isn't the classifieds section buuut it is Supermoto related! Looking to pick up a hooligan machine to ride once or twice a week and maybe take to the track..

Ideally I'm looking for a Husqvarna 510smr or KTM 640 but if you can recommend anything else, or know anyone selling - that would be hugely appreciated! Also - what are things I should look for on these machines when buying used..?

Danke,

Zlad.

It's more maintenance heavy but I prefer my KTM exc over the 625 SMC I used to have. I'd skip the older (pre 2014) husky's because I would worry about parts down the road.

For one one or two hooligan rips a week. KTM EXC or Blue plated Yamaha WR450. Good blend of low weight, power and decent reliability but you have to stay on top of maintenance.

It's more maintenance heavy but I prefer my KTM exc over the 625 SMC I used to have. I'd skip the older (pre 2014) husky's because I would worry about parts down the road.

For one one or two hooligan rips a week. KTM EXC or Blue plated Yamaha WR450. Good blend of low weight, power and decent reliability but you have to stay on top of maintenance.

Could never get over the maintenance intervals....if you ride everyday, how often do you have to change oil or check valves? Is it hard to reach/do on the EXCs?

Yeah it would be the wrong bike if you wanted something for every day. Oil every 10 hours and valve checks every 30ish hours. Both are pretty quick and easy though.

Yeah it would be the wrong bike if you wanted something for every day. Oil every 10 hours and valve checks every 30ish hours. Both are pretty quick and easy though.

Dont you also have to replace the piston every 100 hours? :x (Memorized the service manual a while back)

Just saw a video of someone checking the valves on one of those, im guessing with the dirt/dual sports its fairly easy to check the valves? They just had to remove the seat and gas tank, not a ton of work like a full faired sport/street bike?

Last edited:
Yeah you pretty much got it. My bike has almost 70 hours so I haven't done the piston yet but 100 hours is the plan. I think the newer ones can go a little longer...haven't looked into them that that much I don't want to tempt myself lol.

And yes checking valves on a dirt bike is no biggie.

Oh really? The smc Vs Enduro? Could you tell me the difference? The 21" up front is perfect off road.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I had an opportunity to trade my 530exc towards a 690smc, and I wanted to do the conversion to enduro. After looking online, among other stuff I found this thread on ADVrider:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ktm-690-smc-enduro-ideas.630902/

The first issue is the front caliper gets in the way of a 21" wheel. I think there was also some issue with the rear wheel but I don't recall. Lots of info in the link though.

Forks are different as well. The Enduro forks have the front axle set forward while the SMC are in line. Apparently the 21 inch front tire can hit the rad on the SMC.

It's a lot easier to convert the Enduro to sm than the other way around.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I just got it just 2 weeks ago. It's a 2013 I'm hoping the quirks have been addressed by then lol got it with 5k its at 7k right now, needs a rear tire the stock knobs do not last on road, great off road. Pretty sure its burning oil, gotta check it today. May have developed a ticking noise could be paranoia lol or low oil?

Back
Top Bottom