Insurance Needed: 27 Years Old/M2/CBR600RR | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance Needed: 27 Years Old/M2/CBR600RR

Austin90

Hello,

I recently purchased a Honda CBR600RR and am having a hard time finding insurance. I was originally given a decent quote by Dalton Timmis (which is why I bought the bike in the first place) but they are now only insuring people with their full M license. I am 27 years old, I've had my G license for ten years with no claims, no tickets, no accidents, no nothing. Squeaky clean. I literally just got my M2 and my rider's training the other day. Can anyone please point me in the right direction? Anyone know of any insurance companies that will take me on for a decent price? I am able to combine my car with the bike if need be, and I live in North York, Ontario. I'd appreciate any feedback (other than "sell the bike" lol).

Thanks in advance.

Your biggest problem is you choice of bike.

Under 30, no experience, M2 + supersport is a recipe for insane insurance rates. If you want more palatable insurance, sell the 600RR and buy a more modest bike for the first few years until you have your full M, several years of clean insurance history on a motorcycle, and are over 30 - it'll be way more affordable for a supersport then.

Sorry to be blunt, but no sense in sugar coating it.

As a new rider with M2 on a SS bike...even if you do find a company, expect to pay through the nose for 1-2 years until you prove yourself to them.

I'd appreciate any feedback (other than "sell the bike" lol).

Sell the bike.

Astonishes me that people dont do the research and due diligence before buying bikes.

As a new rider with M2 on a SS bike...even if you do find a company, expect to pay through the nose for 1-2 years until you prove yourself to them.

+1

yea, even if you find insurance your insurance rate will be same price as buying a new bike every year or 2 years; looking at probably $3000+/year, possibly even closer to the $5000 range.

also insuring bike and car, multi vehicle doesn't give much of a break in price for SS. having multi line house, cars, and bike may help...MAYBE

with SS you're very limited in who will insure you and on top of that the M2 license + lack of experience, seriously think about the advice fellow GTAM members have given above. This is reality in Ontario, wish I could provide the information you seek.

Last edited:
Hello,

I recently purchased a Honda CBR600RR and am having a hard time finding insurance. I was originally given a decent quote by Dalton Timmis (which is why I bought the bike in the first place) but they are now only insuring people with their full M license. I am 27 years old, I've had my G license for ten years with no claims, no tickets, no accidents, no nothing. Squeaky clean. I literally just got my M2 and my rider's training the other day. Can anyone please point me in the right direction? Anyone know of any insurance companies that will take me on for a decent price? I am able to combine my car with the bike if need be, and I live in North York, Ontario. I'd appreciate any feedback (other than "sell the bike" lol).

Thanks in advance.

I have the exact same problem as you. Im 25, 1 minor ticket, no previous moto insurance with M2 licence. Earlier this year I was quoted $2500/yr for a 2012 civic and 99’ r6 from Dalton Timmons. Today I called them back to insure the bike and now they are saying that RSA (Royal sun alliance) is now no longer accepting sport bikes just like everyone else. Since then I have tried literally every insurance company I can find and the only company that will insure me is Facility insurance @ $3500/yr for bike only. On the plus side, I had a few insurance brokers tell me that this happens a lot with young drivers and there will be one company that sticks their neck out every year to insure the sport bikes so let me know if you find anyone.

I have the exact same problem as you. Im 25, 1 minor ticket, no previous moto insurance with M2 licence. Earlier this year I was quoted $2500/yr for a 2012 civic and 99’ r6 from Dalton Timmons. Today I called them back to insure the bike and now they are saying that RSA (Royal sun alliance) is now no longer accepting sport bikes just like everyone else. Since then I have tried literally every insurance company I can find and the only company that will insure me is Facility insurance @ $3500/yr for bike only. On the plus side, I had a few insurance brokers tell me that this happens a lot with young drivers and there will be one company that sticks their neck out every year to insure the sport bikes so let me know if you find anyone.

Im surprised it wasnt higher actually.

Guessing you DONT live in brampton?

Im surprised it wasnt higher actually.

Guessing you DONT live in brampton?

Right now my mailing address is in Cornwall, On so that will probably help. I'm not complaining about paying high prices though, I understand I'm not driving the safest vehicle, I just don't understand the reason for a 400% increase from insurance last year to this year($800 to $3500). I will post a pic of my quote from last year below. Anyone know any other insurance companies than facility willing to write sport bikes with M2 drivers?

Screenshot_2017-02-06-13-13-17 (2).png
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AiJnk2v54vRboWbGB0z0srdTiEFI

Sell the bike.

Astonishes me that people dont do the research and due diligence before buying bikes.

...this

It boggles my mind why no one checks their rates 1st.
I made that mistake ONCE when I was younger and buying a vehicle and learned my lesson for life.

...this

It boggles my mind why no one checks their rates 1st.
I made that mistake ONCE when I was younger and buying a vehicle and learned my lesson for life.

It boggles my mind that people post without reading thethread first. As stated above, (the OPsaid the same thing) I obtained a quote for bike BEFORE buying the bike by morethan 2 companies which gave me great deals(800-2000/yr), after purchasingthe bike insurance went up 400% this year. I did not justgo out and buy the bike without quotes. Anyone with something helpful to add?Looking for suggestions for other insurance companies other than Facility that will insure M2 supersport.

No real help here, there's only so many insurance companies in Ontario. I don't know what you got quoted on facility but if you do end up looking at selling your bike make sure you get a quote on whatever non ss bike your thinking about getting. Personally I'd rather pay to much to insure the bike I want to ride instead of paying to much for a bike I don't want to.

Try aviva.
Good people. Great rates.

aviva is good but they JUST changed their policy towards SS

atleast 4 years of riding before they insure SS

Try hub international broker,i called them today and they said aviva quoted me for my r6 09 2000 per year one way insurance and 3000 for full coverage,anyway im at the same situation right now i got my m2 last year and im 30 years old and first time insuring ss bike

Age 30 might have made a big difference however, that seems to be the new "magic number" when it comes to SS bikes.

TD is great if you fall under the employers or schools that receive discounts.

Although I only insured an R3 so Not sure on what bigger c.c would look like.

TD is great if you fall under the employers or schools that receive discounts.

Although I only insured an R3 so Not sure on what bigger c.c would look like.
Despite my car and home being insured with TD for 4 years, and me being 28 with full M, UofT alumni ... they still gave me some ridiculous quotes on a 650cc naked bike. They quoted close to $2300/yr, desjardin quoted $1500 for the same motorcycle for full coverage.

I think TD is only good for young drivers/riders and small motorcycles.

Sent from my LG-D852 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back
Top Bottom