TomTom Winding roads | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

TomTom Winding roads

I'll stick with my paper map and standalone Garmin 2720

well at the very least you can use the Garmin to find out where you are then unfold the paper map ....
whatever floats your boat.

My standard answer to the paper map crowd is "before you can use it you need to know where you are."

My standard answer to the people who rely on technology for everything is "good luck".

To each his own.Not everyone needs an "app" to get them to their "destination".

I'm personally very happy to stay at arms length to the selfie generation.

Why nobody mentioned touch screen functionality with gloves? How do you do it with your cellphone apps? Please, don't even try to talk about touch screen gloves! I tried a lot of them and they all sh*t. For me this is the most important reason to go with dedicated GPS unit. I don't want to take gloves off while riding when I need to change / skip waypoint, etc.
BTW, the new Zumo 595 (I know, it's expensive) is much better than any mobile app! You get what you pay for.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yep. Also a dedicated unit is way more rugged than a smartphone. Can be dropped, abused, rained on without needing to be waterproofed - especially the power interface.

Agree. I'd definitely use some smartphone map app (there are few free offline options) as a backup to Zumo in case of unforeseen emergency. But they will never replace a good dedicated GPS unit. Again, I'm talking about bike's GPS only. The convenience of use - that's what important! In my car I do use smartphone as GPS. I don't drive wearing gloves :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lightcycle View Post
Yep. Also a dedicated unit is way more rugged than a smartphone. Can be dropped, abused, rained on without needing to be waterproofed - especially the power interface.

no but no convincing some.

I'm still learning how to use my new to me garmin 62s. I bought it mainly for offroad use and it's perfect for that. One of my old iPhones is doing duty as an ipod.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Like my Zuma too, but the next evolution will have to be loaded with Apple play and Google play Like we have on our cars now to keep the must be connected crowd happy. This way you get all the must have in a tough waterproof visible and glove friendly screen. Now add the hand controls like the newer BMW bikes and that is ideal.

I'm still learning how to use my new to me garmin 62s. I bought it mainly for offroad use and it's perfect for that. One of my old iPhones is doing duty as an ipod.

Last edited:
I plan my route on a good old map and then plan that into the GPS.
I had 2 Garmin 2720s over the years and they were great units.

The GPS comes in handy on trips to find gas stations, food and lodging while on the road

I use my phone to make phone calls and text family and friends. Don't know much about aps etc (if it doesn't have a clutch I'm not interested...). My question is how much $$$ does it cost to run data with a cell all day? I'm not much of a techy guy but am open to the idea of a new phone with more gizmos if it's truly worth while. I'm not sure buying a $700 phone with an expensive data is a good idea just for a gps, especially if a dedicated gps is currently performing adequately. I may be interested in a new waterproof phone (cause mine is ancient) but the gps apt feature is not necessarily the deal maker. I like the idea of eliminating a device if the phone does everything but I'm not necessarily willing to pay a kings ransom to run a gps ap all day. Like I said, I'm not up to speed on phones and I'm struggling with going all in with a new fangled phone when my garmin works fine and my (ancient) phone also does what I need it to do. Hey guy keep up the dialect so I can decide what my path forward is. I may decide to do nothing.

^I'm not up on all the tech but I'm pretty sure you can use these without using data.

^I'm not up on all the tech but I'm pretty sure you can use these without using data.

Most use AGPS, which does ping cell towers, plus unless you buy a GPS app or pre-cache the area, maps are typically pulled down via data as required.

Dunno, I typically find a dedicated device can trump a device that tries to do too many things. Not a huge fan of using a phone as a GPS, since if anything happens to it, you are now out your only communications device for calling anyone/calling for help. I guess if you ran an older phone you didn't really care about, that's a different story.

Last edited:
I use my phone to make phone calls and text family and friends. Don't know much about aps etc (if it doesn't have a clutch I'm not interested...). My question is how much $$$ does it cost to run data with a cell all day? I'm not much of a techy guy but am open to the idea of a new phone with more gizmos if it's truly worth while. I'm not sure buying a $700 phone with an expensive data is a good idea just for a gps, especially if a dedicated gps is currently performing adequately. I may be interested in a new waterproof phone (cause mine is ancient) but the gps apt feature is not necessarily the deal maker. I like the idea of eliminating a device if the phone does everything but I'm not necessarily willing to pay a kings ransom to run a gps ap all day. Like I said, I'm not up to speed on phones and I'm struggling with going all in with a new fangled phone when my garmin works fine and my (ancient) phone also does what I need it to do. Hey guy keep up the dialect so I can decide what my path forward is. I may decide to do nothing.

No data use if you buy an app with offline maps, it will work just as a normal GPS, no cell service needed.

I am glad there is choice and options, personally I like a dedicated GPS, more specifically the BMW Nav V which is basically a rebranded Garmin. It integrates with the bike and does far more then any Phone GPS solution could do with no need to remove hands from the bars to use the GPS while riding. I get traffic, weather, music, answer calls as well as see everything going on in my bike. Now this is limited to BMW, I do not think there is anyone else doing this except maybe Harley and not sure how integrated they get. Also I prefer having offline maps for plotting. I have been in places (in the US) with no data and no wifi and was plotting the next day and making adjustments. If I was dependent on an internet connection for this it would not be doable and I am not working on a phone screen/nav screen when prepping a trip.

No data use if you buy an app with offline maps, it will work just as a normal GPS, no cell service needed.

I am glad there is choice and options, personally I like a dedicated GPS, more specifically the BMW Nav V which is basically a rebranded Garmin. It integrates with the bike and does far more then any Phone GPS solution could do with no need to remove hands from the bars to use the GPS while riding. I get traffic, weather, music, answer calls as well as see everything going on in my bike. Now this is limited to BMW, I do not think there is anyone else doing this except maybe Harley and not sure how integrated they get. Also I prefer having offline maps for plotting. I have been in places (in the US) with no data and no wifi and was plotting the next day and making adjustments. If I was dependent on an internet connection for this it would not be doable and I am not working on a phone screen/nav screen when prepping a trip.

You can do most of that with a regular Zumo (the 59x series if you want weather)...not sure what the BMW and Harley specific stuff adds, and probably just amounts to a different/more integrated mounting and power system.

I just picked up a Zumo 395 at the show -- Was around 40% off all said and done, which put it in the range I was willing to pay. Likely adding the TPMS sensors too once I replace my rubber and get metal valve stems. Also was previously using an old Nuvi 350 (car GPS) in a RAM mount, but it was getting long in the tooth (over 10 years old, and couldn't fit the new maps), couldn't talk to the helmet, couldn't take premade routes, etc, etc.

You can do most of that with a regular Zumo (the 59x series if you want weather)...not sure what the BMW and Harley specific stuff adds, and probably just amounts to a different/more integrated mounting and power system.

I just picked up a Zumo 395 at the show -- Was around 40% off all said and done, which put it in the range I was willing to pay. Likely adding the TPMS sensors too once I replace my rubber and get metal valve stems. Also was previously using an old Nuvi 350 (car GPS) in a RAM mount, but it was getting long in the tooth (over 10 years old, and couldn't fit the new maps), couldn't talk to the helmet, couldn't take premade routes, etc, etc.

They are pretty similar in features, but what BMW offers is a control wheel (wonder wheel) on the handlebar, so no need to touch the screen while riding, can switch between menus, activate music, zoom in and out, etc.

I have a Zumo 660 as a backup, sits in the same cradle as my BMW Nav V. A BMW Nav is not worth the high price point without having a BMW that can control it via the wonder wheel in my opinion. If I had any other bike I would stick to the Garmin Zumo line.

They are pretty similar in features, but what BMW offers is a control wheel (wonder wheel) on the handlebar, so no need to touch the screen while riding, can switch between menus, activate music, zoom in and out, etc. I have a Zumo 660 as a backup, sits in the same cradle as my BMW Nav V. A BMW Nav is not worth the high price point without having a BMW that can control it via the wonder wheel in my opinion. If I had any other bike I would stick to the Garmin Zumo line.
Wait a minute. Last time I was on a BMW, the right turn signal was on the right handlebar. Also, what's ABS/ASC/ESA?

Back
Top Bottom