TomTom Winding roads | GTAMotorcycle.com

TomTom Winding roads

MacDoc

Site Supporter
There were a lot of ****** off users of the TomTom mobile App when Winding Roads did not appear their move to the Go Mobile app which replaced the original ( which of course we all still hung on to )

Two years of hammering away and the feature is now on GoMobile.

http://download.tomtom.com/open/man...ypesofroute(withwindingroute)-BodrumIzmir.htm

The nav app for iPhone is still clunky but that Feature alone is worth the entry.

I don't know. I moved from a Garmin car unit to a Tom-tom, and I'm really missing the Garmin.

Garmin has on-the-fly route changes, in their dedicated units, and Tom-tom locks you out after the first destination, until you pull over.
That and other software features make the Garmin seem a couple of generations ahead.

How do the apps stack up that way?

Winding roads might be good but I'm not paying for an app on my phone just for that. I have a car Garmin and a Tom Tom...the Tom Tom got put away as it was annoying. It didn't seem to route correctly.

I don't know. I moved from a Garmin car unit to a Tom-tom, and I'm really missing the Garmin.

Garmin has on-the-fly route changes, in their dedicated units, and Tom-tom locks you out after the first destination, until you pull over.
That and other software features make the Garmin seem a couple of generations ahead.

How do the apps stack up that way?

We are talkiing Apps not overpriced stand alones of a dying device category.
Time to move on.

So I take it that the apps don't stack up then. Good to know.

Well unless the apps use a totally different routing algorithm to the standalone units it is a concern.

Sorry for asking a question about the product.

But, why did you even bother to post about it then, if you weren't ready to entertain questions?

I'm not really interested in what someone who was paid to write about the product has to say, i.e. the manual & ads, but what regular purchasers have to say.

Are you on the wrong side of that equation?

We are talkiing Apps not overpriced stand alones of a dying device category.
Time to move on.

I agree with MacDoc it is time to move on from stand alone GPS units unless they are for hiking or off-road use. I've been using a old Garmin Nuvi until last year when someone took a liking to it and made off with it on day 3 of my two week riding vacation. I hadn't upgraded to a newer Garmin before the trip because the old unit could send the turn by turn instructions to my helmet intercom by bluetooth, fm radio or direct connect through the earphone jack, none of which are available on any standalone for less than C$400. So I'm in an electronic store looking for another GPS and telling the clerk there my tale of woe and he suggested getting a cheap pay as you go cell phone instead of a standalone GPS. US$60, a little bit of time on public WIFI to download a GPS app and maps and I'm on the road again with a GPS unit that connects to my intercom via bluetooth or using a earphone cable for turn by turn instructions, has WIFI so I can check ahead on weather, has a larger and brighter display (6") than my previous Garmin unit, and is waterproof all for less than C$100. The TomTom app is available for android devices and I'll be trying it next month, have a 600 km+ ride planned. Previously the app was only for the Iphone and even a used Iphone is tooo expensive just for the one app.

What cheap pay as you go cellphone has a sensitive GPS chip in that works well out of cell tower range and has a large sunlight readable screen? I get that apps are getting better and I use them myself in the car occasionally but a decent phone with a decent display is still north of $500 and it's unlikely to be fully waterproof or vibration proof unless you add boxes and trick mounts. The gps is becoming redundant for most urban travel (that's why the small car units are so cheap these days) but for straying away from cell coverage areas mine still works better than my phone does plus I have backroads/off-road coverage too. I use my phone in town with just google maps, but most other trips I use my Montana for. Now....if my Montana had winding roads...that would be perfect.

try $50-75 for a used iphone 4s ...works fine anywhere ....this is not new guys and you are overblowing the need fpr waterproofing...a baggie works fine. Yes you need an ex-mount but yoou need a GPS mount anyways.
This glary daylight at the top of BearTooth you can see the sky refected and easily see the map.

beartoothgps.jpg

again full daylight /sun

Screenshot2014-10-26atOct26201473827PM_zpsa4f08048.jpg

this was 3 years ago with an iphone 4

ScreenShot2013-08-19atAug19201311606PM_zps1e96bfed.jpg

Phone screens get better and better and higher resolution ....plus all the other things - audiobooks, tunes - mail and phone if in cell range.

ANY LCD screen has issues if the sun is directly on it ..all you have to do is move the screen slightly - I leave the X mount a tad loose for that purpose.
Frankly turn by turn audio nav is better than visual in many cases where traffic is involved. You have the options of a variety of NAV apps on the same phone and radar etc.

On Winding Roads if you don't like the look of the choice just move on and instant reroute.
It's fun to have it lead you to new routes ...especially in your riding area. Surprise is nice and as soon as you want to get to destination quickly you just switch to Fastest and it reroutes.
Great in PA and Ohio WV etc with road rich environs.

What cheap pay as you go cellphone has a sensitive GPS chip in that works well out of cell tower range and has a large sunlight readable screen?
I forgot to mention that the pay as you go phone I bought was never activated and therefore has been working without a data plan. Sensitivity is as good as my friends Iphone 6 in time it takes to lock onto satelites. Many claimed my nuvi would fail due to vibration and yet after 8 years and 125k it is still working (for who every stole it).

If anyone knows where to get a used unlocked Iphone 4s for $75 let me know because the ones on the buy/sell websites read like they have been rode hard and put away wet.

I know a guy with an iPhone 5 for just a bit more ?

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Here you go

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cell-phone/c...80/1253010812?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

good deal ...unlocked $40
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cell-phone/o...ed/1253003042?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

32 is nice for more maps or tunes
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cell-phone/c...uc/1252997800?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
$90

The only thing with the 5 is the battery life is shorter and the phone runs hotter tho it's a faster device ...all of them can have a new battery but most riders run a USB power ...I use my multi-use Lithium battery in my tank bag to run the power to the phone.

I found the iPhone 6 a bit too big tho the screen was terrific ...and the later models have very high water resistance.

Having purchased a Tom Tom Rider V2 i am often ****** that the windy road option wants me to take gravel roads, ok for my GS1200 buddy however!

Might be different with the app...you can exclude gravel on the app. Is there a Change route type choice

Might be under settings

Last edited:
Macdoc:
I have gone to the settings and chosen to avoid gravel roads which works fine on regular routing but it seems to forget when I use the winding roads feature. Not a big deal when i am riding on my own but I usually lead group rides and trips and I have a few friends that would like to burn the Tom Tom

Back
Top Bottom