BrakeFree: The Smart Brake Light for Motorcyclists | GTAMotorcycle.com

BrakeFree: The Smart Brake Light for Motorcyclists

1) Replace bike's OEM lights and signals with virtually invisible aftermarket LED junk.

2) Notice that drivers follow too closely thanks to said junk.

3) Give away money to Indiegogo to solve problem you created.

4) Hope the virtual product is actually produced.

5) Attach new aftermarket LED junk to helmet.

6) Notice drivers following too closely to get a better look at your flashing helmet.

7) Relax, this is the internet.

As an additional light to your stock light, it's a good idea. I like that it detects engine braking as well.

As an additional light to your stock light, it's a good idea. I like that it detects engine braking as well.

It's just got an accelerometer in it. Hopefully they have played with trigger as without some thinking, sliding back in the seat or going over a bump could easily cause it to light up and confuse people behind you.

It's not the worst crowd-funding thing I have seen, but it is typical crowdfunding junk, overpriced and underperforming (at least they have what appears to be a working prototype). They are only claiming 8-10 hours of runtime, throw in a few charge cycles and some colder weather and it will die long before most rides end. The 160K stretch goal is replacing 2600 mAh cells with 3000 mAh cells. Oooh, wow :/

EDIT:
They are aiming to get IP64 rating which "means you can ride with it in the rain." Does "Water splashing against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effect." sound like the conditions on the outside of your helmet in the rain? IP 65 or 66 would make way more sense.

Last edited:
I don't like that it's triggered by just slowing down via "engine braking or downshifting". As a driver, one of my pet peeves are people who use or cover the brake excessively when there is no need. All it does is make everyone around them nervous. If this product were tied directly to the brake switch on the bike in some way then I would have no problem with it.

Seems like a good idea but not the proper product.
It lights up every time YOU move. It needs to link to the braking system.

How many ppl will strap that on to their expensive lids?
What is the estimated price for this?

Didn't look into it much. If it's just got an accelerometer, then not so good. Don't want it lighting up must with the rider moving around. Not safe in the rain? That's when you would need it the most.

I liked the idea of it activating when engine braking cause I use that to slow down sometimes, and tap my brakes enough to activate the light to warn drivers behind me.

I'm guessing they would be asking more $$ than it's worth to me anyways. lol

***edit***
just looked at the site more..
$99USD + Shipping
BRAKE FREE - EARLY BIRD
Get 1 BRAKE FREE unit with 35% off MSRP Thank you for being an early backer!

Last edited:
1) Replace bike's OEM lights and signals with virtually invisible aftermarket LED junk.

2) Notice that drivers follow too closely thanks to said junk.

3) Give away money to Indiegogo to solve problem you created.

4) Hope the virtual product is actually produced.

5) Attach new aftermarket LED junk to helmet.

6) Notice drivers following too closely to get a better look at your flashing helmet.

7) Relax, this is the internet.

Like your last statement. I learnt how to do brain surgery from the Internet. Took a lot of practice. Still trying. Lol.

There are similar products already on the market and none of them has really caught on. My guess as to why is a combination of questionable reliability, questionable battery life and folks not wanting to stick something to their expensive helmet or cover up the cool graphics they paid so much for already.

If I were interested in adding a break light I would opt to add one to my top box (addmorelights.com) or I would get a break light license plate frame that gets hardwired to the bike. I have always opted for higher output tail bulbs on all my bikes and I converted my Bandit's clear turn signal lenses back to the stock amber as they were much brighter even when I used same output clear bulbs under the amber lenses vs the amber bulbs under the clear lenses.

There are similar products already on the market and none of them has really caught on. My guess as to why is a combination of questionable reliability, questionable battery life and folks not wanting to stick something to their expensive helmet or cover up the cool graphics they paid so much for already.

If I were interested in adding a break light I would opt to add one to my top box (addmorelights.com) or I would get a break light license plate frame that gets hardwired to the bike. I have always opted for higher output tail bulbs on all my bikes and I converted my Bandit's clear turn signal lenses back to the stock amber as they were much brighter even when I used same output clear bulbs under the amber lenses vs the amber bulbs under the clear lenses.

Do you mean something like this?

https://vololights.com/

All lights on my bike are stock except the headlights, they are piaa high output. My v35 side cases have addmore lighting in them, they work as tail/turn and brake lights as well. I'm not worried about being seen.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I can't support a product where the inventors can't look me in the eye and tell me about it.

RiderLight LED Wireless Helmet Brake Light stopped in 2007 and was $100, same as this one, but 2 parts and you could get just extra lights for $50. New one may be a bit more techy, but doesn't really need to be?

So, nothing new really. Wonder if the demand just wasn't there in 2007. Wonder if it's here today?

Oem lights and signals are usually enough.Assuming that all cagers are idiots,imho this thing might confuse some and maybe even cause some to fixate on it especially if the rider is doing proper shoulder checks causing the helmet lite to appear to be flashing or signalling a turn maybe.No thanks.
I followed a rider thru the woods at an offroad event a few years ago that had a cheap helmet with a constant on red led light on top.It was hard to tell if he was signalling something or even changing his lines.He was asked to turn it off.

Last edited:
I added a rear brake light that blinks and flashes when using the brakes. It is very noticeable, probably to the point of being annoying, but I think it is effective.

I added a rear brake light that blinks and flashes when using the brakes. It is very noticeable, probably to the point of being annoying, but I think it is effective.

Flashes for 1 second and then solid or keeps flashing? I think I like the ones that flash for a very short time and then solid, if it keeps flashing it will drive everyone behind you nuts.

Back
Top Bottom