99,000kms too many for a DL1000 (V-Strom)? | GTAMotorcycle.com

99,000kms too many for a DL1000 (V-Strom)?

timtune

Site Supporter
Thinking about a VStrom but it has 99K on it. Should I be worried assuming it's had decent maintenance?

It's not a virgin. Think of how many times another guy got off it. Check the package first, never mind the fluids for now.

If the price is right why not? It's only for fun. You ever hear a guy go to a hooker & ask her the mileage?

If it was maintained no worries.

V-Stroms with half the mileage go for a candy and some pocket lint. At 99k km, I would hope the price reflects the mileage.

Otherwise V-Stroms are pretty solid. Some burn oil at highway speeds, some don't. Fuel pump is known to clog with rust, easy enough to do a fuel filter bypass. Then the usual stuff that comes with a bike at that mileage.

If the price is right why not? It's only for fun. You ever hear a guy go to a hooker & ask her the mileage?

A buddy of mine did, but he was shopping for an older Mercedes and didn't know about the hooking until later. It turned out to be a solid V8 ride.

I bought mine with 103,000 km and still going strong ....actually a bit better than the one I sold with half the mileage.

Guy that owned it was an engineer and did all his own work ...they are tough machines.
There is a legendary DL1000 on StromTroopers still going with 400,000 MILES on it and the motor never been cracked open.
Wore out a few running gear bits needing replacement ....

All depends on maintenance as noted..

Too many mileage pantywaists around here. :rolleyes:

Why is 99,000kms even worthy of a thread? 99,000kms is nothing. 9,900kms is 1/10 of that. That's what I would buy. Then I'd have 9/10 left for me to use just to get to the 99,000kms starting point. Probably cost a little extra to get in at the low mileage. I'd brag about that online all day. Big juicy rationalizations should be reserved for young stallions not Glue the wonder horse.

Post removed, Inreb is correct. My bad.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Last edited:
0.o.0.o.0.o.0.o

Last edited:
Why is 99,000kms even worthy of a thread? 99,000kms is nothing. 9,900kms is 1/10 of that. That's what I would buy. Then I'd have 9/10 left for me to use just to get to the 99,000kms starting point. Probably cost a little extra to get in at the low mileage. I'd brag about that online all day. Big juicy rationalizations should be reserved for young stallions not Glue the wonder horse.

Can I get this translated into english?

Actually the VStrom's digital odometre has 6 digits, so no rolling over.
Until it hits 1000000 that is. It's a vstrom.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I have about 120k on mine and it runs like a champ. With most of these newer touring types bikes (sport, adventure, etc) I wouldn't hesitate to buy one that had 100k as long as it was well maintained. This year I can say that my rear shock is close to being done, so it's time for a rebuild or replacement. Everything else is just routine maintenance and consumables for the most part.

I'm a big DL fan - owned a Gen1 DL650 and a Gen1 DL1000, and had a Gen2 DL650 in the house too.

I would agree - if the bike has been serviced, that mileage isn't anything to be concerned about, but the price should reflect it. There should be lots of examples of reasonably priced, well-farkled bikes with fewer kms than that.

Considering the DL1000 doesn't hold it's value as well as the DL650, if it was well-farkled and the plastics (including mounting tabs) showed their age but were intact, I might not pay more than $1500... perhaps more if there was good quality hard luggage included...

Back
Top Bottom