99,000kms too many for a DL1000 (V-Strom)? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

99,000kms too many for a DL1000 (V-Strom)?

I agree with everything but holy moly $1500 is chicken feed. That DL1000 is surely worth double that, imHo.

I agree with everything but holy moly $1500 is chicken feed. That DL1000 is surely worth double that, imHo.

Totally agree, but we all know it's a buyer's market. And for some crazy reason, the DL1000 does not hold it's value as well as the little brother.

I bought a Gen 1 DL1000, with factory luggage and many of the usual farkles, with 30,000 kms, for $3000. That was BEFORE the gen2's came out - now that Gen2's are available, that generally drops the prices of older generations down, because everyone is focussed on the latest and greatest.

Totally agree, but we all know it's a buyer's market. And for some crazy reason, the DL1000 does not hold it's value as well as the little brother.

I bought a Gen 1 DL1000, with factory luggage and many of the usual farkles, with 30,000 kms, for $3000. That was BEFORE the gen2's came out - now that Gen2's are available, that generally drops the prices of older generations down, because everyone is focussed on the latest and greatest.

I'd be all over that one but the 3000$ bikes with hard bags I see have 99,000kms (this is my Wing replacement so I really want the lockable storage)

Kijiji listing seems to be this one: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/chatham-kent/vstrom:/1249484861?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Again, I have no real issue with the mileage, but if you're really going to look at buying that bike there's a couple of things to keep in mind.

1. You'll never be able to resell the bike. Ever. This guy is going to have a hard time selling the bike; I guarantee you that at that price this bike will still be available in the middle of the summer at a reduced price, or off the market completely because he'll never make what he thinks it's worth.
2. Since it's a 2003, there are a couple of things to be aware of that Suzuki (or the aftermarket) had to fix.
a) clutch chudder can be an issue on some bikes, isn't on all (you could tell on a test-ride)
b) In 2005 the ECU was updated with a better processor
c) In 2004 the bike was modified so that the windscreen is adjustable (3 positions, bad, terrible and worse)
d) The charging system isn't great
e) The high-flow circuit in the in-tank fuel filter is susceptible to clogging, though there is a "relatively" easy by-pass to install an in-line filter
3. The colour of the bike is an acquired taste at best.
4. This bike is not terribly well-farkled. No skid plate, no engine guards, both of which are kind of standard adds to a bike like this.

None of these issues are deal-breakers. It's just that for a little more, one could get a much lower-mileage bike.

Mechanically, I wouldn't hesitate. But after buying it, it essentially has a resale value of zero unless you part it out. If you're cool with that, and with the usual maintenance required of a higher-mileage bike, then I might offer him $2500.

My preferred option (assuming price is not a driving concern) would be to spend more on newer and lower-mileage.

If you buy it - congratulations. It's one of my favourites.

Back
Top Bottom