12 exotic cars impounded around Barrie story | GTAMotorcycle.com

12 exotic cars impounded around Barrie story

micelli.i

I don't know if people saw the story from yesterday when a dozen or so drivers who lost temporarily their licenses and high-end vehicles for allegedly stunt driving on Hwy 400.

What I do not understand is how they could be charged when there was no police officer in sight to witness them drive erratically.

Often times when there's a group driving a number of vehicles of a certain class, they drive in close proximity to one another, so that they do not get lost from the herd. While that might be intimidating to some, there are also others who get sour when they see young people half their age driving something they will never afford.

Even if they get the charges thrown out of court (which I hope they will), are they going to be compensated for the 7 days impound fees and the administrative suspensions?

Hate to say it but I imagine the drivers more then likely were driving like idiots. Pretty similar to the big group rides last summer where guys were doing wheelies in front of the cops, running red lights, being a general pain in the ***, etc.

Impound fees and administrative suspensions (and any costs thereof) are unrecoverable ... and this is one of the many things that plenty of people including myself complained about when HTA s 172 was amended. That's going on 9 years ago, so rightly or wrongly (and I think it's wrong, wrong, wrong) it isn't going to be changed.

It's quite possible that shenanigans were observed on video, or a cop saw them up to no good. If there's no evidence ... someone had better be hiring lawyers.

@blackcamaro: Well that might well be true, but it's going to be the word of the witnesses vs. the accused. Again, there was no mention of police officers eye-witnessing the event. Also, the bike riders from last summer were actually video taped. So maybe some of the witnesses had dash cams, who knows.

@Brian P: Right on. Hopefully, they will bring a Constitutional challenge with regards to the unrecoverability of impound fees and admin. susps., or even initiate a lawsuit. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess...

Last edited:
Fairly sure I heard that there was dashcam evidence.

I don't think people driving Lamborghinis and other exotics are too worried about the impound fees and such. Heck, they probably don't care much about the insurance ramifications either, just a few hundred bucks a more from the bank every month, no biggie. It would only be having their licence suspended beyond the 30 days that they'd probably care much about.

Constitutional challenge at this point ain't gonna happen. It's water under the bridge ... we're stuck with that crap law.

On another forum about this incident, I found a post from someone not involved who saw this bunch stopped in the vicinity of Vaughan Mills (blocking other traffic - including, evidently, the person who wrote that post) adjusting their Go-Pro cameras (on their own cars). If that's the case ... probably they recorded their own incriminating evidence.

An on-board video of driving lawfully and in approximate compliance with speed limits, or even with the flow of traffic a little above the posted limit ... wouldn't be very interesting, would it?

"I was coming out of IKEA with my wife" sounds like the same type of people who hate on the Biebs and their are plenty of those out their or there, can't remember how to spell the 3rd thrir , sorry my brain only works when I give a ****

"I was coming out of IKEA with my wife" sounds like the same type of people who hate on the Biebs and their are plenty of those out their or there, can't remember how to spell the 3rd thrir , sorry my brain only works when I give a ****

I dislike the biebs with a certain sustainable passion. Never been to IKEA.

Yesterday morning on Am640, the lawyer representing the accused was interviewed. The lawyer claims the OPP have little to no evidence; The OPP only have reports from other motorists to go by.

What a bunch of winners. A dusty rose chromed lambo and a bunch of stickered up supercars (including a lambo with RCAF logos). If the police can come up with any video, they won't have much luck arguing they got the wrong vehicles.

There is a video online taken from an overpass either taken by or shared by the OPP, I couldn't be bothered to watch it to see if there was anything useful on it. Presumably since the OPP shared it there is something there.

The next thing you know you will want dealers to have their heroin returned if they are found not guilty.
If those who were allegedly stunt driving are found not guilty their cars should be returned.
But I can't recall anyone ever being found not guilty of stunt driving.

If I recall correctly alot (almost half)of people are found not guilty of stunt driving but still get punished due to the rediculous way the law works.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

The next thing you know you will want dealers to have their heroin returned if they are found not guilty.
If those who were allegedly stunt driving are found not guilty their cars should be returned.
But I can't recall anyone ever being found not guilty of stunt driving.

There have been cases of people having a verdict of not guilty, on s172 charges. As for your statement about heroin dealers, that is typical hyperbole, heroin is an illegal substance and therefore, obviously not to be returned. Exotic cars however, are legal, and will be returned regardless of the outcome of the charges.

As for GoPro, ironically I was driving along the 401 Sunday morning and mentioned to my GF, see that bright yellow sports car in the left lane passing everyone. He has a GoPro mount sitting empty on the exterior of his rear window. She hadn't even seen it. I can only surmise he may have part of this group and chances are the GoPro had by that time made it's way into the mount..lol

Hate to say it but I imagine the drivers more then likely were driving like idiots. Pretty similar to the big group rides last summer where guys were doing wheelies in front of the cops, running red lights, being a general pain in the ***, etc.

Lots of people with exotic cars drive responsibly just as lots of sport bike riders drive responsibly. Not all Harley owners make their livings from drugs and hookers. Lets not add the the stereotyping.

saw an OPP officer on tv stating that following a vehicle too close can be considered as stunt driving. pulling over the entire group and detaining them over action of a few sound very familiar

Yesterday morning on Am640, the lawyer representing the accused was interviewed. The lawyer claims the OPP have little to no evidence; The OPP only have reports from other motorists to go by.

It's his job to say that. It's his job to discredit whatever information the cops may have on hand.

Oh yeah, no doubt every single one of these guys was driving responsibly and at or under the limit. Who are we kidding here?

Oh yeah, no doubt every single one of these guys was driving responsibly and at or under the limit. Who are we kidding here?

But what they were or weren't doing isn't relevant, the only thing that is relevant is what can be proven in a court of law.

To the OP, an officer need not be an eye witness to an infraction. to lay a charge. People are charged everyday as the result of a collision, the officer isn't there to witness the collision, he/she merely does an investigation, which often includes witness statements etc.

Back
Top Bottom