Got a ticket | GTAMotorcycle.com

Got a ticket

Ghostrider619

I got pulled over driving my works van. I got a ticket for expired sticker. Am i responsible for making sure the sticker is valid because when i asked the cop he said its your responsibility before you get in a vehicle. I dont want MY car's and motorcycle insurance to go up. will the court drop the ticket if my employer gets a new sticker tomorrow.

They may or may not at the courts discretion. As the operator of a commercial vehicle you are required to pretrip your vehicle. This includes ensuring the mechanical condition, stickers and all paperwork is in the vehicle such as ownership, insurance, and cvor if required.
Good luck in court, that sucks.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

If your ticket says HTA 7(1) and the sticker was expired, then you are guilty. Requesting early resolution and appearing with evidence that the registration sticker was renewed next day and that it was a company vehicle may result in leniency...

(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless,

(a) there exists a currently validated permit for the vehicle;
(b) there are displayed on the vehicle, in the prescribed manner,
(i) number plates issued in accordance with the regulations showing the number of the permit issued for the vehicle,...

The cop was right but I'd bet the crown drops it if you're polite explain the situation and provide proof the sticker was renewed the next day. You have nothing to lose anyways.

Also some paperwork violations won't count against your insurance. I have either a failure to produce an insurance slip or registration and my insurance didn't ding me for it.

x3 your responsibility. Be glad it wasn't an MTO officer and only a regular police officer, an MTO officer might have made your day way worse if you didn't have all your T's crossed and your I's dotted.

In related news, you may wish to brush up on the requirements for operating a commercial vehicle.

And yes, typically if you get proof of the sticker being renewed next day and then ask for early resolution the crown will drop the ticket.

But don't worry too much, a ticket like that is like a parking ticket - it's not a moving violation so from the perspective of insurance companies it's really not a big deal - you'd have to have a long trail of them on your record (showing routine negligence) for them to really hold it against you from a rating perspective.

thank you guys ! I should have been more responsible. I have notified my employer & he will get the emission test & the sticker done tomorrow. Hopefully the ticket gets dropped.

Some time ago the Province changed the law so that people with unpaid parking tags and unpaid tolls would have the money attached to the sticker when it was renewed.
This was certainly better than the old system where people could be locked up for nonpayment.
Because of this there are a lot of cars out there with expired plates.

I want to choose early resolution, but how do I do this. Do I need to call the court ? Do I mail this ticket to them with the option 2 ticked marked ?

They will most likely drop it if you show up with proof that it was promptly remedied. Not to mention it's your company's vehicle. I've had this happen to me twice with my own vehicle. In the old days you could just show up at the police station with proof and they would tear the ticket up. Now they are required to send it to court apparently but they're still pretty lenient about it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom