No Rear Brake After Winter Storage | GTAMotorcycle.com

No Rear Brake After Winter Storage

FattBoyy

Today I took my 1996 Fatboy out of winter storage and the rear brake is not working. The pedal bottoms out when pressed with zero resistance. The rear brake was in fine working order when stored for the winter

Any help and advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Today I took my 1996 Fatboy out of winter storage and the rear brake is not working. The pedal bottoms out when pressed with zero resistance. The rear brake was in fine working order when stored for the winter

Any help and advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Keep pumping. If it was parked on its sidestand and fluid level was low in the reservoir there might be some air in it but not likely.

I just took the chrome cover off and there is only one screw on the Mc cap .. air or moisture got inside over the winter ? What's my next move?

Another update. Took the cap off the MC. There is no fluid inside. But there is no leaks on the storage area floor. What happpened to the fluid?

Update: there is only one screw on the cap because the previous owner snapped off the other other screw inside

Brake fluid doesn't evaporate, it absorbs water.
Check condition of the brake pads, if there's any meat left on them just top the fluid up (DOT5 think ?) and try pumping again.
You might have to end up bleeding the system.
The broken screw is a longer term concern.
See if you can get it out and replace.

The mice siphoned it off for their gocart.....

This the first time you stored it? If one of the master cylinder screws is broken, does it mean it wasn't sealed properly/enough?

Would a 96 Harley use DOT5? Check the cap, probably 4.

Last edited:
Hey guys I bled the brakes it's back to normal

Riceburner It uses.5. I have no explanation where fluid went over the winter

And yes with only one screw holding the lead the seal is not airtight on the reservoir

If there's no leaks, it had to go somewhere.

Exactly. It's becoming a case of x files.

The only thing I can suspect is maybe there is a very slow leak from the rear calliper and because the bike was being stored in my dad's garage he may not have noticed it and just wiped it off without thinking twice about it

What I did is I tied the rear brake down with A shoestring to get the air bubbles out overnight also I put a piece of paper under the rear calliper to see if there's any slow leaks overnight

Another update. No leaks anywhere. Brake seems to be pumping great now. Although I have not road tested it yet

Another update. No leaks anywhere. Brake seems to be pumping great now. Although I have not road tested it yet

Don't leave it like this. you still need to get the broken screw out and replace it or replace the unit. This problem will come back if not repaired properly.

Don't leave it like this. you still need to get the broken screw out and replace it or replace the unit. This problem will come back if not repaired properly.

I agree. I am going to keep my eye out for a rear MC if I can find at decent price otherwise I will drill out that broken bit

I agree. I am going to keep my eye out for a rear MC if I can find at decent price otherwise I will drill out that broken bit
I saw this and thought of you. Not sure if it'll fit but the price is right.

Please view this ad:

Rear Master cylinder, harley touring,
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-p...aign=socialbuttonsVIP&utm_content=app_android

Price: $*50

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
http://goo.gl/Hs9Yg

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom