Need advices from zx636 owners pls | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need advices from zx636 owners pls

I love how everyone that sells a SS states in their ad that it's "very fast".

Like what else are you going to say?
...Mint condition, low km's, new tires, and it's slow as ****

That is a 2005/6 model
The 07/08 models are smaller and the headlights are smaller (projectors).

Don't let it throw you off, could be simple mistake or dude bought the bike in 2007.
If you ask some bike owners what bike they have they will say Yamaha R6 Ninja

I got a reply back, the bike is an 05, being sold as is, but says it shouldn't need any work. I'll go take a look at it and see how it is in person, if he's willing to negotiate a bit on the price I'll probably go for it.

I've done tons of work on 03/04 and 05/06 636 and also 07/08 - 09/13

The 05/06 are amazing bikes, they are comfy for bigger guys like me, radial master cylinder up front, auto idle circuit, slipper clutch, lots of torque and comfy, bigger forks, better front ends vs. 03/04's. They have more stable charging systems, rectifier stays cooler. Really no issues with that bike except CCT's , and head bearings. keep the valves in check and bike tuned up and they last for ever.

ONE MAJOR draw back to those 636's is PARTS! They made great street bikes, race bikes and stunt bikes ... if you need subframe, radiators, front wheels, swing arms , motor parts - forget about it !

If I was a serious rider w ho keeps bikes for a long time - i'd look at GSXR's, lots of parts and simple to keep bikes.

Also, the 636 would put you in the 599-749cc insurance bracket...
so you should look into gsxr750's.

I've done tons of work on 03/04 and 05/06 636 and also 07/08 - 09/13

The 05/06 are amazing bikes, they are comfy for bigger guys like me, radial master cylinder up front, auto idle circuit, slipper clutch, lots of torque and comfy, bigger forks, better front ends vs. 03/04's. They have more stable charging systems, rectifier stays cooler. Really no issues with that bike except CCT's , and head bearings. keep the valves in check and bike tuned up and they last for ever.

ONE MAJOR draw back to those 636's is PARTS! They made great street bikes, race bikes and stunt bikes ... if you need subframe, radiators, front wheels, swing arms , motor parts - forget about it !

If I was a serious rider w ho keeps bikes for a long time - i'd look at GSXR's, lots of parts and simple to keep bikes.

+1
used parts for the 636 are a crapshoot. when you find tthem they arent in good shape usually.
we had a cracked rad on the bike my buddy picked up, bought a used rad from the states and it was clogged and caused overheating issues.
ended up buying a new aftermarket rad made in USA for about $100 and its been perfect. fitment was a little off but not much at all.

A big problem with those bikes which based on what i experienced and also read countess times online from other owners was a weak second gear.

In many cases that i read, the second gear slips and pops out. I had this issue myself and at first i figured it's just my bike or my shifting but upon more research i realized that many others had the same issue.

Otherwise it's really an amazing bike. Comfy, reliable and looks great too IMO.

Thank you guys for all the advices/ inputs. I'm gonna see the bike on the weekend and hopefully everything works out ok. It's always a bit scary when buying anything used, because you never know what you getting. Got lucky with my last bike 10 years of ownership and never a single problem.

A big problem with those bikes which based on what i experienced and also read countess times online from other owners was a weak second gear.

In many cases that i read, the second gear slips and pops out. I had this issue myself and at first i figured it's just my bike or my shifting but upon more research i realized that many others had the same issue.

Otherwise it's really an amazing bike. Comfy, reliable and looks great too IMO.

As far as the second gear I have read about it and seems to be very common.. is it something that you can still ride the bike regardless or it has to be addressed right away? Hopefully not a big job to do.

Thank you guys for all the advices/ inputs. I'm gonna see the bike on the weekend and hopefully everything works out ok. It's always a bit scary when buying anything used, because you never know what you getting. Got lucky with my last bike 10 years of ownership and never a single problem.

As far as the second gear I have read about it and seems to be very common.. is it something that you can still ride the bike regardless or it has to be addressed right away? Hopefully not a big job to do.

yup. You can definitely ride. It take away from the fun a bit since most of your power is in second and You just have to get used to skipping second gear and going around bends a little faster if you wanna have enough power in third to pull yourself out.

But you can ride no problem.

Back
Top Bottom