Bike parked for the last couple of years... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike parked for the last couple of years...

Endrew

Hello everyone
I used to be a regular reader here but forgot my name pass; back with a new one.

I quit riding 3 years ago and my bike has been sitting in the garage without any love since then.

I haven't changed the oil or topped the gas either.

Would replacing the gas, oil change and lubing the chain be good/safe enough?

Any recommendations to bring it back to life?

Thanks

Ninja 650 ty Riceburner

Last edited:
What bike? Carbed or FI? If carbed, you will probably have to clean them out really well. Probably need new tires too...along with fresh gas oil, fluids, etc.

Change the oil before you even try to roll over the engine. You don't want to pump that old and probably moisture laden oil through the engine after it's been sitting in there for years.

Get all the old gas out and refill with fresh.

Replace battery. Unless it was maintained, it's now garbage.

Then see what happens. Yes, if it's a carb'd bike there's a decent chance the carbs will need to be torn down and cleaned if they were left with fuel in the float bowls - carb problems will be fairly evident once you start it up - won't idle, no power, erratic idle, etc.

Flush/fill brake fluid, coolant, oil. Check tires/pressure. Check battery and all lights. Check fork seals for leakage. Fresh gas, clean carbs and go.
Pretty much what everyone else said.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Ninja 650..

So there are multiple things you can do, here is what I would recommend.

If nothing was done to the bike before it got put away, I would

MOTOR
--------
1. Pull air box and spark plugs out
2. Spray the cylinders with penetrating oil or something decent, and let it sit.
3. Drain oil & change filter
4. Drain the fuel tank and clean screen on Fuel Filter (refill with fresh gas)
5. Purge motor with no plugs
6. Put everything back togeather- clean air box / air filter.
7. Change Coolant if the rad or overflow looks bad.
8. Start motor and check for issues.
9> will prob need a battery.

Rest of the bike:
-------------------
1. Check tires
2. Replace brake fluid
3. Inspect hoses, drive line, brake pads, friction surface etc.
4. Check bulbs, brake light switches, turn signals etc.

Take the bike out for a short spin, adjust cables or idle rpm. Top up fluids if required.
If no issues - you should be set.

Last edited:
Bring bike to Frekeyguy as is.....

Leave about 250-300 bucks in cold hard cash, possibly expect a small return, or a few bucks more to add if major issues are found

Come back in about 3-4 days, if nothing catastrophic is found wrong....

Enjoy the riding season....

Frekeyguy will set his pricing and terms of course, but I am just giving you a possible scenario......

Take his advice. I have a 2007 Ninja 650R and only trust Frekeyguy to do work on my bike. He know's exactly what he's talking about and you won't receive better service from anyone else.
If you're thinking of putting it back on the road take it to him.

Ninja 650..

So there are multiple things you can do, here is what I would recommend.

If nothing was done to the bike before it got put away, I would

MOTOR
--------
1. Pull air box and spark plugs out
2. Spray the cylinders with penetrating oil or something decent, and let it sit.
3. Drain oil & change filter
4. Drain the fuel tank and clean screen on Fuel Filter (refill with fresh gas)
5. Purge motor with no plugs
6. Put everything back togeather- clean air box / air filter.
7. Change Coolant if the rad or overflow looks bad.
8. Start motor and check for issues.
9> will prob need a battery.

Rest of the bike:
-------------------
1. Check tires
2. Replace brake fluid
3. Inspect hoses, drive line, brake pads, friction surface etc.
4. Check bulbs, brake light switches, turn signals etc.

Take the bike out for a short spin, adjust cables or idle rpm. Top up fluids if required.
If no issues - you should be set.

Last edited:
Before removing spark plugs find a way to clean around them. You don't want any crud getting in the cylinders. My favourite is compressed air.

Before removing spark plugs find a way to clean around them. You don't want any crud getting in the cylinders. My favourite is compressed air.

That 650r where the plugs are very confined, and they use coil with spark plug boot design. So the odds that there is crud down there should be low. But I will agree 100% it does not hurt to blow some compressed air - its a good habit I have gotten into.

What else, if anything would you do for reviving a 2stroke that has sat for a few years?

What else, if anything would you do for reviving a 2stroke that has sat for a few years?

Remove the plugs and pre-oil the cylinders well and gently roll the engine over to distribute the oil if possible.

Get rid of ALL the fuel as you can't be sure what the oil content was. Mix new fuel, and personally I'd go heavy on the oil for the first tank - yes, you'll foul plugs, but it beats squeaked cylinders.

2 strokes are picky on carb oddities as well....so if there's any question about it not having been stored properly (IE, fuel just left in the carbs, etc), personally, in the case of a 2 stroke I'd probably clean and rebuild the carbs before ever trying to start it. A clogged up carb that runs lean can hole a piston in a big hurry on a 2 stroke.

How many is a "few"?
If a "few" is more than a couple, I would do a leak down test on it... but then I hate rebuilding top ends.

How many is a "few"?
If a "few" is more than a couple, I would do a leak down test on it... but then I hate rebuilding top ends.

FWIW top ends are the easy ends. This next bit may or may not apply to 2 strokes but.....last engine I stored I filled to the max with cheap engine oil. If I could find an orifice, it got filled. The idea being to have not one pocket of airspace. Think Poseidon Adventure but worse.

How many is a "few"?

if you spin the motor at a constant speed and fast enough with a hand ratchet (spark plugs out), it should start putting oil to the top end of the motor.
if you have a starter - use that to spin it faster to prime the system.

What top end stuff going bad is your concern?

Back
Top Bottom