Dirt bike ownership | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dirt bike ownership

ended up picking up an 08 YZ250FX with a skid plate, bark busters, exhaust and an ownership :) for $2700

Sweet bike and a pretty good deal. Although the fx was not made in 08, it's a yz250x motocross model. Not that it really matters unless you're mildly ocd like me. Lol

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Sweet bike and a pretty good deal. Although the fx was not made in 08, it's a yz250x motocross model. Not that it really matters unless you're mildly ocd like me. Lol

I thought the same thing as I was doing some reading on it before going to see it, but the manual that I got with it is labeled YZ250FX......either makes no difference

I bought a 2009 kx250F (4 stroke) and for the woods was a big mistake, then got a 2002 yz250 (2 stroke) and that was a much better bike for what you want to do, light, agile, shorter, etc.

I think you were well advised in here to get a 2T.
ended up picking up an 08 YZ250FX with a skid plate, bark busters, exhaust and an ownership :) for $2700

its my first dirt bike, i'll ride it for a bit and if Im really unhappy with i'll get something else

i've never had a 2T bike before, but did have 2T sleds and the way the power comes on is a little unnerving for me having no dirt experience at all, As I've said its possible I will regret this decision and go looking for a 2 stroke in the future time will tell.

Last edited:
If you were going to buy an older 250 4 stroke those yamaha's are probably the one to buy. Owners seem to report pretty good reliability. Change the oil every 4 hours, clean the air filter (I like no toil for ease of use) and check the valves now and every 15 hours or so.

Most importantly, have fun!!! You won't enjoy riding on the street the same way as you used too. Dirt is just too much fun. It will make you a much better street rider though so that's a nice little extra bonus.

thanks @blackcamaro, but I hope It doesnt make me stop enjoying street riding, when I started riding track I was told that riding on the street will not be fun again, I still enjoy it a lot, it's just different, I hope dirt will be the same, I still want to be able to enjoy it all types of riding

Cheers

Max

Yeah, for me street riding seemed pretty boring after getting in the dirt for a while. But it did allow me to approach street riding differently, riding less aggressively in general. A real dirt bike did help my street riding became more fun again by allowing me to drop the pretense that the VStrom was ever designed to be ridden off-road.

If you were going to buy an older 250 4 stroke those yamaha's are probably the one to buy. Owners seem to report pretty good reliability. Change the oil every 4 hours, clean the air filter (I like no toil for ease of use) and check the valves now and every 15 hours or so.

Most importantly, have fun!!! You won't enjoy riding on the street the same way as you used too. Dirt is just too much fun. It will make you a much better street rider though so that's a nice little extra bonus.

So I too have been kind of debating on whether to get a dirt bike or not (for trail riding) and I keep seeing info like this...
oil change every "X" hours,
check valves every "X" hours,
Rebuild head every "X" hours.....
I am very familiar with hour counts on equipment.... its the low number of hours that all these things need to be done at that is putting me off. Can someone please explain it to me.... It seems like these bikes need more maintenance time than you get riding time. Are there dirt bikes that don't require that much maintenance....

Like oil change every 4 hours... If I went trail riding for a day I would assume at least a solid 4 hours of run time. So its an oil change per trip?

Or maybe if my timing perspective is skewed hopefully someone can set me straight...

There is usually less than a liter of oil to change and those are racing maintenance intervals. My 4 stroke Honda calls for a piston every 15 hrs but will easily go 50 hours trail riding. My 2 stroke KTM wants a piston every 100 hours but I do it at 50 for peace of mind. If you change the oil every 10 hrs you will be fine and 10 hours is a lot of trail riding if you watch the hour meter.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Also get a 2 stroke they are much less expensive to maintain and more fun

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

And on a 2 stroke the oil is just for the transmission, so isn't the end of the world if you leave it in for longer than recommended. Mine gets changed when the shifting starts feeling notchy, which is probably after every 3rd or 4th ride; something like 10-20 hours. I generally do the air filter at the same time.

The original owner of my bike had never opened the top end for maintenance of any kind in 13+ years. There was no obvious damage when I swapped the piston, but the bike had been running very rich for a long time and the exhaust was severely restricted by carbon buildup and wouldn't rev out like it was designed. I ended up burning it out by chucking the header and muffler in the fireplace. I just love the idea that I easily doubled the power of the bike with nothing but fire and a hammer - one of the joys of the simplicity of 2 strokes.

So I too have been kind of debating on whether to get a dirt bike or not (for trail riding) and I keep seeing info like this...
oil change every "X" hours,
check valves every "X" hours,
Rebuild head every "X" hours.....
I am very familiar with hour counts on equipment.... its the low number of hours that all these things need to be done at that is putting me off. Can someone please explain it to me.... It seems like these bikes need more maintenance time than you get riding time. Are there dirt bikes that don't require that much maintenance....

Like oil change every 4 hours... If I went trail riding for a day I would assume at least a solid 4 hours of run time. So its an oil change per trip?

Or maybe if my timing perspective is skewed hopefully someone can set me straight...
Those bikes are all motocross race bikes. If you look for a trail bike it's much different. Bikes such as a klx300, drz 250, crf230, ttr230, kdx220, any honda xr etc, these are trail bikes. Change the oil/air filter and they run forever. They are heavier than race bikes but they are ideal for those just learning or someone who wants to ride offroad several times a season without the high ownership costs.
This kdx would be perfect for you, nice 2t woods bike easy to use.

Please view this ad:

Kawasaki KDX220,
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-m...aign=socialbuttonsVIP&utm_content=app_android

Price: $*2,500

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
http://goo.gl/Hs9Yg

You can do 150 hours on a 2 stroke easy without having to rebuild the top end with good maintenance, race Bikes you got to do top ends often but we ride mostly wood trails

Back
Top Bottom