Dirt bike ownership | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dirt bike ownership

mbroyda

So I've been toying with the idea of picking up a dirt bike, mainly to practice wheelies :) but also to do some trail riding, was looking around at some some 4 stroke 250s between $2k-$3k but a good 80% of those bikes don't come with ownerships, whats the deal with that?

Seems to be more common for MX bikes that have only ever been ridden in closed course competition. I'd want the ownership and valid off-road insurance for riding anywhere else though. OPP regularly patrols Ganaraska looking for valid docs, for instance.

Pretty common for dirt bikes. You can still get an ownership and if you search this forum it will give you the steps to do so.

Be careful buying a old 250 4 stroke, if the engine needs to be rebuilt it can cost more then the bike is worth.

Seems to be more common for MX bikes that have only ever been ridden in closed course competition. I'd want the ownership and valid off-road insurance for riding anywhere else though. OPP regularly patrols Ganaraska looking for valid docs, for instance.

Wasnt planing on getting one without an ownership, I know cops set up stops on snowmobile trails to check for papers, so I would expect the same for dirt trails, was just wondering why so many of them dont have an ownership, but you are right i've been mainly looking at MX bikes like CRFs and YZFs

Pretty common for dirt bikes. You can still get an ownership and if you search this forum it will give you the steps to do so.

Be careful buying a old 250 4 stroke, if the engine needs to be rebuilt it can cost more then the bike is worth.

is a 2 stroke a better idea at this price? how many of you guys ride 2 strokes on the trails? was always of the impression that a 4t would be a better machine for trail riding

All dirt bikes should come with ownership. If the seller doesn'f have one on hand they should get one at the licensing office based on the V.I.N. number
My advice - dont go on trails without one + insurance, especially Ganny...good luck

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

All dirt bikes should come with ownership. If the seller doesn'f have one on hand they should get one at the licensing office based on the V.I.N. number
My advice - dont go on trails without one + insurance, especially Ganny...good luck

thanks

Make sure you have a spark arrestor also.its manditory...besides you don't want to set the forest ablaze....pretty good fine if caught with out one....

is a 2 stroke a better idea at this price? how many of you guys ride 2 strokes on the trails? was always of the impression that a 4t would be a better machine for trail riding

well you did mention wheelies....get a 2 stroke dude

There's some good online info if you search "2 stroke vs 4 stroke for trails". Both have pro/con. An un-maintained 4T can be much more expensive to fix than a un-maintained 2T.

MX bikes don't always make good trail bikes. Over-heating because going slower (smaller rads), Flame-out easy (4T), track gearing not designed to do tight trail, no kickstand or crash protection, etc. Sometimes a small amount of mods can make it a great trail bike. Sometimes not.

I much prefer a 2 stroke trail bike but that leaves you with a KTM unless you want to go new the the Yamaha yz250x

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

And buy a trail bike don't get a mx bike and try and make it a trail bike lots of CRF x and wr f out there if going used and 4 stroke

And buy a trail bike don't get a mx bike and try and make it a trail bike lots of CRF x and wr f out there if going used and 4 stroke

Most good condition CRFx and WRf go for crazy numbers. Anything in the $3's looks beat. I sold an '08 WR450F for $5k last month while there was still snow on the ground.

Look for a husaberg 2 stroke they usually go for much less than a KTM and are basically a blue and yellow ktm

A much better idea in my opinion. I'm going to go against the grain though a little bit and say I have no problem with riding a MX bike in the woods. I currently ride a kx250f for mx, hare scrambles and trail riding and it does it all well enough.

Anyways with a budget of $2000-3000 I would be looking for a 2006 or newer YZ250 2 stroke for what you want to do. 2006 had updated suspension and it's very similar to the current bike being sold. The yz's have a huge aftermarket and after awhile if you feel it lacking in certain areas you can address it for cheap enough. If I bought one for a trail bike I'd throw on a set of handguards, skid plate and maybe a flywheel weight if you want to smooth the power out. Great do it all bike.

A KDX200 or 220 falls into that budget nicely. 2 stroke, and doesn't need anything for the trails except some bark busters.

Back
Top Bottom