Buying a new Ninja 300 winter edition | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying a new Ninja 300 winter edition

OP, I agree that $400 for a factory windscreen a seat cowl is not THAT much, however, you don't need either one. While seat cowl may make it look better (debatable), it is completely useless.
Taller windscreen is usually good for touring bikes and this is not it. Frame sliders you can get for $20.

As others have said >$7,000 is a lot for this type of a bike. I paid less for my Fazer8, with 1,500km on it.

It's your first bike, not your last bike. But if you're really stuck on the idea then negotiate the hell out of them.

Thanks for the tips
I'd rather buy a new one. I had a bad experience with buying a used car.
I will slow down a bit. I am not in rush.
I am not dead on the black colour. I think a 2016 version would be sheaper and yet with similar specs.
I know kijiji has lot of tentative offers but as a new rider I have no idea how and what to check when buying a used one.
Thanks for the advice

It's a 300cc entry level bike. Performance specs are not a big deal. Ask on the forum, someone may help you out and check a used one with you. Do some reading online about buying used. With bikes, stuff can't be hidden as much as cars. My first 2 bikes were new(before the internet and online forums), haven't bought a new one in almost 3 decades. Private sales are almost always negotiable.

The dealers ripping you off, 7 grand for a 300cc bike.

Yeah right.

The smart decision would be go look for a used/cheap 300cc bike.

No a dealer isn't ripping you off if they're charging $7000 for a bike that retails for msrp $6,299. Plus hst not including freight and pdi it comes to $7117.87 so how is charging $7000 a rip off? Blame Kawasaki for setting the prices not a dealer charging $7000. NO dealer is going to go below msrp on a brand new special edition....regardless of how much profit you think they make on a bike at msrp. I'm sure you must be a business owner and know the overhead costs associated with running one...

Maybe you and a lot of others wouldn't pay 7 grand for a 300 but many people want something brand new and they're willing to pay the price, plain and simple. Like I've said before you're a noob yourself, the smart decision would be to not go around pretending you know what you're talking about then posting nonsensical ****, there's enough of that floating around already.

MSRP on the Kawasaki website for Ninja 300 ABS is $5299. Add 13% = $5987.87, unfortunately only in blue or white. If you're dead set on black there are plenty gently used bikes available. A 10 second search found this one

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...bs/1247679025?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

It has the windshield and seat cowl already installed as well as other items and is asking $5200. Personally I wouldn't buy this one but it shows what can be found with barely even looking.

You must be looking at the US website, here a 300 with ABS retails for $5,899 not $5,299. Like I told the other guy verify your facts first before posting this stuff because you can easily confuse poor noobs who don't know any better.

OP, if you want the Winter Edition you obviously want something unique and specific, there's nothing wrong with that. A lot of guys just don't want to spend top dollar on something that they really want or are willing to settle for less...don't let that detract from wanting a special edition if that's what your heart is set on. Although be aware you are spending extra just for the paint job and stickers...also when you crash it will cost more to repair because of the matte paintjob and decals, unless you file an insurance claim...which as a new rider you definitely don't want to do.

The main reason people don't want to spend a lot of money on a small cc bike is because most people ride them for a season or two and think they're ready to upgrade whether they really are or not. So if you sell it after a season or two you will be losing a lot of value however if you plan on keeping it til the end of its days like me its nice getting something brand new and knowing its history.

Last edited:
well if you are set in buying new. how about getting them to throw in some discount on some gear, free tank pad, free first service and.... later

Thanks for the tips
I'd rather buy a new one. I had a bad experience with buying a used car.
I will slow down a bit. I am not in rush.
I am not dead on the black colour. I think a 2016 version would be sheaper and yet with similar specs.
I know kijiji has lot of tentative offers but as a new rider I have no idea how and what to check when buying a used one.
Thanks for the advice

Ask one of the more experienced members here to come and inspect the bike with you. Offer beer, or coffee, or a gift card..or some cash.

You'll save a ton of money, and get a bike in good condition.

If your hellbent on buying a new one, dont spend 7000$ for ****s sake on just a ninja 300.
I wouldnt pay more than like 5700 Out the door for one, tops.
As some one else here said they paid 5500 OTD...would you really want to spend an extra 2 grand because of some ****ing stickers?
Look around for a deal like that.

And if all else fails,
GET A USED ONE!

Last edited:
I can't believe that no one has pointed out that all black bikes are dangerous due to motorcycle conspicuity. You're paying extra to increase your chances of having an accident. ;)

MSRP on the Winter addition is $6299. Not gonna get it for $5700 OTD.

https://www.kawasaki.ca/product/ninja-300-winter-test-edition

The 'regular' one is roughly 5000?(2016 model), 17' gets you about 5400.
Why on earth your gonna spend an extra 1000 for stickers and a paint job is beyond me.

I can't believe that no one has pointed out that all black bikes are dangerous due to motorcycle conspicuity. You're paying extra to increase your chances of having an accident. ;)

matte black too...even more camouflage....

Stupid decisions often go hand in hand with other stupid decisions.

My advice would be to figure who is not helpful in this forum and ignore all of their messages, that is the most important thing on GTAM.

If money is not an issue. Buy what you really want, but make sure you do your research and know all the options out there. I would recommend getting ABS for your first bike.

^^^This. So much this.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Tell you what, that winter edition is one good looking Ninja 300. In your position just ignore what the more expensive dealer told you. To me what he said isn't professional and if they have to resort to insulting another dealer or basically talking trash about the them then they aren't very good at their job.

Take your quote of $7300 and call two more dealers and see if anyone will beat it, personally I'd just tell them the price you have and ask what are they willing to do to earn your business. Be polite and mention your ready to buy. You might save another $100-200 but I don't see that much wiggle room on a $6300 bike.

Some of the suggestions to look at used are sound ideas but ultimately you should do what makes you happy. If a new bike brings you joy then get it! The piece of mind knowing that it's yours and only been yours can be valuable...even priceless if it means the difference of having confidence in your bike or not as new rider.

...Why on earth your gonna spend an extra 1000 for stickers and a paint job is beyond me.....

I wouldn't, just stating that version's MSRP.

Think there's like 5+ used options posted on quick searches already.

Don't forget insurance.

That extra $1000 includes some nice extras, not just "stickers and paint". With abs and the extras taken into consideration, is it really that much more than a 2017 ninja 300 with abs?

Kawasaki has 0% financing till Friday
0 down for 36 months

If you are ok with depreciation and taking on a loan, financing might be a viable option

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It's only $400 more for the Winter edition over the base ABS version and about $800 to the non-ABS version. His math was off from comparing different versions. So, paint, cowl, windshield, sliders and upgraded tires.

I think the argument is for a first bike if it's worth spending full pop if you don't have to. That's a personal choice or if you don't trust used. No reason not to trust used if you know what to look for.

It's only $400 more for the Winter edition over the base ABS version and about $800 to the non-ABS version. His math was off from comparing different versions. So, paint, cowl, windshield, sliders and upgraded tires.

I think the argument is for a first bike if it's worth spending full pop if you don't have to. That's a personal choice or if you don't trust used. No reason not to trust used if you know what to look for.
For what you get when you compare 2017 models the winter edition isn't a bad deal and will likely hold some resale benefits later.
New or used is a personal decision period. Others can give opinions all day long but it's up to you to decide.
Also agree with others that you need to consider where the advice is coming from. There are people on here with very little experience talking about everything they've ever read about on the net like they personally lived it.

Back
Top Bottom